Is Jamie Jones over rated?

Yes. He is good but a lot of folk who know nothing about him or music in general jump on the Jamie Jones bandwagon to sound cool. He is very 'scene'.

I think he's rose to the top of the scene so quickly, so fair play to him. But his style and sound is very much in at the minute. But he's not number one DJ in the world. He's not even close. Nothing personal, he just isn't that good. Fair play if you like it but for me he shouldn't be anywhere near a Circo Loco @ DC10 line up, or anywhere near past 6pm.

^^ this. Except I'd put it at 90%+.

Probably true. Out of my own personal experience one that I'd say who is very underrated is Yousef. May be biased because I'm from Liverpool but he's an unbelievable DJ who goes unnoticed a lot of the time.

Probably true. Out of my own personal experience one that I'd say who is very underrated is Yousef. May be biased because I'm from Liverpool but he's an unbelievable DJ who goes unnoticed a lot of the time.

I rate Yousef a lot - still listen to some of his early stuff actually (when he was into West Coast house in a big way) and he works the Space terrace a treat. Plays to my guilty pleasure groovy housey side without dropping into intolerable fondue.... well most of the time anyhow.

God yes and I actually like the guy.

I find him live he works better with Troxler but solo he is normally solid but unspectacular.

People are very quick to slate deadmau5 for not being a DJ, imo Jamie Jones fits into exactly the same bracket: decent producer, poor DJ.

He's definitely the poster boy of the scene though.

Although I think even if that gets just another few thousand people who hadn't previously heard of Deep House into the scene, than that can only be a good thing.

I like his earlier productions . Ive seen him play a couple times , has been very good but also pretty average. just not feeling the current sound him / hot creations are putting out as much as other stuff. One thing i will say is that he's put the hard graft in over the years by all accounts. technically his dj style is quite old school which i personally like and he cains it a fair bit too haha

We saw him play the day we met, eh Marc? I remember he was a little far gone, got into a groove, and wouldn't let the next DJ on the decks...played right through his set time :lol:

All DJs have good sets and bad sets but I've generally liked JJ's work overall. Would I say he's overrated? No... but that might be because I don't hear/see as much of the hype as I guess some of you have. But I'd rate him as a good DJ.

Part of the trouble is, in my opinion, that when a DJ reaches the top of a particular scene he/she is left wide-open to criticism and Jamie Jones is just one example of this. Because he's the poster boy of the deep house scene, 'some' people do just say he's the best because it's cool to do so now, but by the same token 'some' people probably criticise him unfairly because of his soaring popularity with a wider audience.

The same has happened with Armin and Tiesto in the trance scene and David Guetta in the (now commercial) house scene.

At the end of the day, when you forget all the hype, I'd say JJ is a good DJ and a better-than-good producer. Most DJ's are overrated because of the nature of the scene but they shouldn't be crucified because of it. If JJ wasn't the poster boy of the deep house scene, someone else would be, and they'd get exactly the same accusations and scrutiny.

We saw him play the day we met, eh Marc? I remember he was a little far gone, got into a groove, and wouldn't let the next DJ on the decks...played right through his set time :lol:

yeah we saw him then! he was def being a very naughty boy! :spank: think that was 2008
from what i remember that set was pretty average but saw him at fabric a couple years ago n he was on really good form

Back