is it really that good?

Robo

www.ananova.com

Outkast take album of the year accolade

Outkast have topped a year-end poll of polls to land the album of the year.

Speakerboxx/The Love Below did better than any other album in magazine "best of 2003" lists.

The double album - essentially two solo albums by members Big Boi and Andre 3000 - topped the poll of polls compiled by HMV.

Outkast pushed Mercury Music Prize winner Dizzee Rascal's Boy In Da Corner into second place ahead of The Mars Volta's Deloused at the Comatorium.

Speakerboxx/The Love Below has won plaudits for crossing many genres. The hip-hop act have taken on soul and rock influences - as on current chart hit Hey Ya.

HMV spokesman Gennaro Castaldo said: "Outkast's album is a real melting pot of styles and rightly deserves the praise which has been heaped on it."

The retailer used a weighting system to tot up each album's showing in magazine polls and collated the winners.

And the top 20 were.

1. Outkast - Speakerboxx/Love Below

2. Dizzee Rascal - Boy In Da Corner

3. Mars Volta - Deloused In The Comatorium

4. White Stripes - Elephant

5. The Darkness - Permission To Land

6. Radiohead - Hail To The Thief

7. Rapture - Echoes

8. Blur - Think Tank

9. Four Tet - Rounds

10. The Strokes - Room On Fire

11. Super Furry Animals - Phantom Power

12. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever To Tell

13. Muse - Absolution

14. My Morning Jacket - It Still Moves

15. Audio Bullys - Ego War

16. Jane's Addiction - Strays

17. British Sea Power - Decline Of British Sea Power

18. The Thrills - So Much For The City

19. Kings Of Leon - Youth And Young Manhood

20. Distillers - Coral Fang

Yes!

Great album, especially Andre's one ("just spread them")

However, I'd probably say that I prefer The Rapture's one. The Super Furry's 'Phantom Power' is also very good (possibly their best yet) and The White Stripes' 'Elephant' is also rather fine.

Don't know what The Darkness are doing there. :x

I'd guess at yes, having not heard all the albums in full, including Outkast, Audio Bullys was one of my favourites this year

Back