is it better to buy or rent a house?

stephen

Staff member
who will win?

my money's on peter the duck, whom i like. but at the same time i like tommy trundle. but who is better? there's only one way to find out. FIGHT!

can you tell i'm bored?

Aren't you supposed to be sorting our your last big move to Mallorca? :)

(bored as heck myself today... there's one big project staring me in the face that I just can't get excited about)

Aren't you supposed to be sorting our your last big move to Mallorca? :)

(bored as heck myself today... there's one big project staring me in the face that I just can't get excited about)

time to check out some villas in ibiza??

i could house sit for you on a permanent basis, moving out whenever you're here! ;):idea:

time to check out some villas in ibiza??

i could house sit for you on a permanent basis, moving out whenever you're here! ;):idea:
Find me a villa with a guest house (in which your rent would cover the mortgage) and we've got a deal :lol:

Find me a villa with a guest house (in which your rent would cover the mortgage) and we've got a deal :lol:

ha! i'm currently facing that great life question of whether renting for life is a way to go here in ibiza.

what do you think? you rent don't you.

ha! i'm currently facing that great life question of whether renting for life is a way to go here in ibiza.

what do you think? you rent don't you.
I do rent... Not sure how I feel about it, really. Sometimes I think ownership is overrated and other times I really wish I owned property. Sometimes I think of the headaches of mortgages and maintenance, and other times about rent money down the drain.

The decision has been easier because (despite having lived here 8.5 years now) I never really considered myself here for the long haul. I take it that's not true where you're concerned.

Also depends on the deal you get... one mutual friend of yours and mine was renting a full house for 1000 euros a month. At that price, I think I'd rent!

I do rent... Not sure how I feel about it, really. Sometimes I think ownership is overrated and other times I really wish I owned property. Sometimes I think of the headaches of mortgages and maintenance, and other times about rent money down the drain.

The decision has been easier because (despite having lived here 8.5 years now) I never really considered myself here for the long haul. I take it that's not true where you're concerned.

Also depends on the deal you get... one mutual friend of yours and mine was renting a full house for 1000 euros a month. At that price, I think I'd rent!

The only problem with renting is security. If you knew you could rent the property for the rest of your life then I can't see any problems.

Obviously I would much prefer ownership but these days that comes with a huge cost.. If you get a mortgage effectively the bank owns your house...

Although if you really want to look at it do we actually own anything?

Phil and I have decided that when we make our move - because we have no children or no immediate family who are likely to still be around to leave our worldly goods to when we shuffle off this mortal coil that we will sell up everything, move and live off that and rent - no point in buying - who we going to leave it to???? :lol:

hmmm. i like renting, but at the same time i like buying. but which is better? there's only one way to find out.

spotlight most hijacked thread of the week!

....there's only one way to find out.

spotlight most hijacked thread of the week!

You really do like TV burp don't you :lol: It is class, though not as good as it used to be, a bit like Ibiza in some respects.

Back to renting and buying, is your house on the market yet then Ste ? :confused: If so, post a link please.

one of the main reason for buying i guess is that when you get to whatever age, you have a house to live that doesn't cost you anything.

one of the main reason for buying i guess is that when you get to whatever age, you have a house to live that doesn't cost you anything.

Also mainly if you rented for say 20 years, what do you have to show for it, all that money has gone. :(

I was very lucky here on the mainland, I bought my first property just before the market went mental, i doubled my money within 3 years which then lead to me being able to upgrade quite significantly. Its a different story now like, although I do still believe its still a sound investment if you buy right.

I'm the same. Renting just now. It's good renting because you have the freedom to move around. Although moving around is not something thats enjoyable. I hate moving house.

I would prefer to buy because at least then the place is your own and you can do whatever you want with it. Renting just never feels quite like it's yours.

Shame I can't afford to buy. Looking at the state of the construction industry in Scotland i'm never going to be able afford to either. :confused:

rented in one form or other ever since student days - it's convenient but a real pi$$er when your washing machine breaks down and the landlord's in Pakistan

guess it also depends if you want to do the family thing or be an eternal playboy too

I rented once - and never again, at the time all my sensible friends were paying less in mortgage than we (myself and 2 mates) were for a house in Jesmond..... I stopped the renting game, went home for 6 months, saved up and moved out 6 months later.... I think I had my first mortgage at just before 20. However that was in the good old days of 100% mortgages :oops::oops:

My heart goes out to those people now who need to get 10 and 20% deposits together before they can get a mortgage.... :(

Back