Is Ibiza feeling the recession?

Alfonse

With reports of lots of the nights being quiet, most notably Swedish House Mafia plus numerous other nights around the island, does it look like this could be a tough year for the clubs?

I was there in June and whilst this is normally a fairly quiet time of the season it was far less busy than in previous years. As an example Pacha was only opening up the main room for some nights and completely closing off the terrace and Global room.

I also just read on here that Miss Moneypennys has been cancelled...who is next??? Whilst there were plenty of club reps handing out cheap wristbands and guestlist spots on the beach might be time for them to finally start lowering prices??? Will be interested to see how they respond...

ps. despite all that will def be back in August/September!

IMO yes it is

The only thing that will change the situation is when the drinks prices are addressed. It's all very well charging €25-€50 euros entrance when there's a big lineup, thats fair enough IMO, but charging €10 for a bottle of local lager or €13 for a spirit&mixer is a fcukin joke. Discounted wristbands are helpful, but when you're spending €100+ on drinks, it takes the p1ss. The greedy cnuts need to start considering what they're doing by pricing so many people out of the island.

I came back last week and my benchmark for the island is normally how little room there is to dance at Cream. I went on the 25th June to see Ferry Corsten and I must say, at peak time 3.30am - 4.00am there was plenty of room to dance which in the 5 years I've been clubbing on the island, was quite remarkable to see.

I must admit however, the West End which I ventured into twice while I was there was actually quite reasonable for prices in comparison to past years. I actually don't mind paying 4 euros for a pint of Magners which I thought for Ibiza was very reasonable. I agree though, in the recession, the clubs are going to out price themselves remarkably if they aren't careful. I just fail to see this year where the justification is in charging 10 euros for a beer and it won't be the clubs that change it. When the promoters on the island start listening to why people aren't going to their nights, it won't be the price of the entrance that is raised, it will be the drinks prices so in my eyes, perhaps the promoters should be lobbied to put pressure on the clubs to drop prices so that the night will be healthier all round because eventually they will leave the said clubs and perhaps the island a few years down the line...

I don't think the drink prices will ever change. People are voting with their feet though and going to cheaper things. I have heard Tania Vulcano at Ushuaia on a Sunday is good as a pre Space warm up. Then there are all the other PdB beach bars like Delano and Sands which had Pete Tong do a party the other week. Bora Bora will always be a winner too if you sneak a few cheeky san miguels in from the beach...

When I was there in June with friends we spent a lot less on drinks by sharing the odd one. Realised that you actually don't need to drink that much once in the clubs anyway...

Last edited by a moderator:
I must admit however, the West End which I ventured into twice while I was there was actually quite reasonable for prices in comparison to past years.

Were there many people in the west end?

When the promoters on the island start listening to why people aren't going to their nights, it won't be the price of the entrance that is raised, it will be the drinks prices so in my eyes, perhaps the promoters should be lobbied to put pressure on the clubs to drop prices so that the night will be healthier all round because eventually they will leave the said clubs and perhaps the island a few years down the line...

Are they not doing this already? Check out El Divinos 5 euro drink scheme, Amnesia selling drinks at bar prices for Cream between 11 and 1, and I read an interview with judge jules where he said the drinks prices at JS would be cut significantly this summer.

We can't exactly moan about the ticket prices these days - there are plenty of good deals available for the smaller nights and anyone who pays 50 Euro each time they go to a club is a mug!

I don't think the drink prices will ever change. People are voting with their feet though and going to cheaper things. I have heard Tania Vulcano at Ushuaia on a Sunday is good as a pre Space warm up. Then there are all the other PdB beach bars like Delano and Sands which had Pete Tong do a party the other week. Bora Bora will always be a winner too if you sneak a few cheeky san miguels in from the beach...

Exactly - Ibiza is only expensive as you make it

Indeed the SHM night had no chance from the start competing with Cocoon and Tiesto.Miss Moneypennys definitely failed because of the wrong choice of venue and not from the so called crisis.
On the other hand there are night like Release Yourself which are busy.Last year Tuesdays at Amnesia got big numbers only in August...
People will always look for the good free events and the promoters of them will always start to charge when the event becomes successfull.It's how the market works...
So go out there and enjoy yourselves and stop moaning about the drink prices...they won't change!!!

One of the better ideas we had in June was getting a car and stocking up at the start of the week from the HyperMarket on the road to San An from Ibiza Town. Was dirt cheap and kept us stocked up on beers and food all week.

Meant we had a good old drink before getting into the clubs and just enjoyed ourselves whilst in there rather than worrying about money.

I must say that room to dance in one of the bigger clubs in Ibiza sounds very appealing to me - allowing the clubs to get so rammed in past years has ruined it for me, it will be great to finally throw my arms around :)

I must say that room to dance in one of the bigger clubs in Ibiza sounds very appealing to me - allowing the clubs to get so rammed in past years has ruined it for me, it will be great to finally throw my arms around :)

Cocoon definitely - maybe I should start going to Ibiza in a month other than August! :)

Cocoon definitely - maybe I should start going to Ibiza in a month other than August! :)

Try June it is wicked. Plenty of room to get your hands in the air, ticket prices are cheaper and everyone is a lot more chilled out. Saying that will be back in August myself! :lol:

Try June it is wicked. Plenty of room to get your hands in the air, ticket prices are cheaper and everyone is a lot more chilled out. Saying that will be back in August myself! :lol:

Yeah I heard that, Cocoon august '07 was bearable - plenty of room to move but '06 and last year was just mental - ruined the vibe a bit, I thought.

i got bck last week and the Island is packed.....! people dont care bout recession when it comes to ibiza Its seems over there!!!!

Back