Iphone email set up

grego

my personal account is hotmail. 2 other ones i use for work - outlook and thunderbird.

any advice for the best set up for email on iphone?

do i set up a gmail account and put everything through that?

also what is push and fetch, (sounds like dog talk) how does this affect my emails?

cheers!

Free hotmail accounts dont work on iphones!
I set up a ymail account which does!
My Clara business mail does!
Push/fetch is how often it retreives mails, the more often you retrieve them, the bigger impact on the battery, which is the only negitive of the iphone!!

Beyond that, an amazing bit of kit!!

Free hotmail accounts dont work on iphones!

Free Hotmail does work on iPhone try these settings

Incoming Mail Server

Host name: pop3.live.com

then enter you own user name and password

Outgoing mail server

smtp.live.com

The difference between fetch and pushFetch will check every 15 mins or what ever you set it to ie 30mins or manual. These are usually pop3 accounts ie hotmail, sky.com blueyodner.co.uk

Push, push email has a almost permenent connection between your phone and the server when you receive an email you server will push the mail immediatley to you phone. The push accounts are usully Microsoft Exchange servers or mobileme.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the 'M-Box' mail app also, seems to work perfect,including syncing all contacts and folders.

Give it a go,i'd certainly recommend it.....

struggling with trying to send a text at the moment.

i'll come back to the email options in a bit....!
:lol:

ok so simple question, hopefully simple answer.

if i use outlook for everything and i want to have almost like a duplicate on my iphone of what i've got on my desktop, but also synced.

how do i go about doing this?

ok so simple question, hopefully simple answer.

if i use outlook for everything and i want to have almost like a duplicate on my iphone of what i've got on my desktop, but also synced.

how do i go about doing this?

Her indoors' Blackberry does this no problem. As soon as you set up the account like Steve H says below, it will download the emails already in your inbox, then add new ones as they arrive. (I think)

Her indoors' Blackberry does this no problem. As soon as you set up the account like Steve H says below, it will download the emails already in your inbox, then add new ones as they arrive. (I think)

dude, that is excellent advice. only thing is that this is an iphone not a crackberry. :spank:

Just make sure both accounts are set up as "IMAP" accounts, and not "pop". Pop removes mail from the server (so nothing else can grab it) and IMAP leaves it there (so the iphone can see it too!)

If your mail in outlook is set as pop, let me know & I can get you around that. I do IT support for a living, so pm me if you want. My aim screen name is djkingpin, let me know.

Back