Internet access in rented homes?

qwertyjjj

What is the internet access like in Ibiza?
Am considering moving there for a few months so would need high speed internet access for my work.

Internet through 3G stick (Moviestar, Mass-Movil) is possible if the location is no that far from the main antennas like sant carlos, cala boix, etc..

A cheap 3G - Stick you can get from the partysan guys. Their office is behind "Feta" close to the round about to pacha. just try to contact them through facebook or so. compared to
moviestar they have a much better offer.

Ibiza town seems to be covered by 3G, until San Jordi.

Otherwise I can recommend "Net-Stumbler" to find the next wifi router easy, asking the neighbors helps in the most cases.

Internet through 3G stick (Moviestar, Mass-Movil) is possible if the location is no that far from the main antennas like sant carlos, cala boix, etc..

A cheap 3G - Stick you can get from the partysan guys. Their office is behind "Feta" close to the round about to pacha. just try to contact them through facebook or so. compared to
moviestar they have a much better offer.

Ibiza town seems to be covered by 3G, until San Jordi.

Otherwise I can recommend "Net-Stumbler" to find the next wifi router easy, asking the neighbors helps in the most cases.

How much are th3 G sticks per month?
I don't think 3G will be fast enough for what I need...I was hoping for something down the phone line say 10Mbit broadband or something like that...

around 20/30 per month whereby they charge both for the modem around 60-80. the speed depends where your are. in remote locations you can be lucky to get more than 150k, in the city its limited to 300-700k. the upload is not that faster than 30k.

if you are around the towns, telefonica offers at them moment 1000k lines. we had to take 3 of them to get something proper because even such "serious" providers throttle you in the main traffic times down to 300k, sometimes.

if it helps, we placed an additional "domain controller" in our office and sync our work over its "DFS" to the internet. this makes working incredible fast for us. however, depends what you're doing.

book your broadband line early enough, the service just s*** here. good luck.

around 20/30 per month whereby they charge both for the modem around 60-80. the speed depends where your are. in remote locations you can be lucky to get more than 150k, in the city its limited to 300-700k. the upload is not that faster than 30k.

if you are around the towns, telefonica offers at them moment 1000k lines. we had to take 3 of them to get something proper because even such "serious" providers throttle you in the main traffic times down to 300k, sometimes.

if it helps, we placed an additional "domain controller" in our office and sync our work over its "DFS" to the internet. this makes working incredible fast for us. however, depends what you're doing.

book your broadband line early enough, the service just s*** here. good luck.

wow, only 300k - Is that through the phone lines?
Surely, the 3G service would be faster than that? I have a 3G stick in the UK, so could I just get a SIM card in Ibiza to run mobile internet?
Telefonica are advertising 6Mb and 10Mb in the more populated areas.

The work I do needs constant connection to a data server streaming financial data back and forth. The rest is just simply video, normal internet traffic.
I mean I'm sure a 1Mb line would work, it has done in the past but if it went as low as 300k that could be an issue. Data must be unlimited.

Is there a satellite service that might be faster...or cable?
How long do you reckon it would take to install a home broadband service there?

My worry is that we rent a place there and cannot know how the broadband is until it's set up. If it doesn't work then I can't work either, I'm highly dependent upon it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
There might be a misunderstanding, I meant with 1000k actually the 10Mb offer from telefonica.

3G traffic is limited(1.5GB), but yes; you can pick up a sim card from movie-star or partysan(mas-movil). Sometimes its even faster than the DSL in some areas.

There is indeed a guy who can install a long-distance wireless connection which runs with 3Mb as its best for 100 bugs per month and the modem is around 800+. I heard its quit good.

You can also rent an external root server with a 10MegaByte/sec connection. The best fit at the moment is 1&1 for 85+ euro per month. After the setup you can connect with remote desktop connection to your terminal. Its pretty easy ! I've been working like this with a simple 300k connection and it was quit OK.

The land-line-dsl setup could last 3-8 weeks if you start from scratch, also depends to the location. Minimum duration for the contract is one year. The upload rate of the mentioned 10Mb connection from telefonica is around 30Kilobyte/sec and the 3G-Stick doesn't come over 15-20KB/sec.

And Satellite s** even more

do you sorted out your accommodation yet ? some landlords here are quit nice and help ..

There might be a misunderstanding, I meant with 1000k actually the 10Mb offer from telefonica.

3G traffic is limited(1.5GB), but yes; you can pick up a sim card from movie-star or partysan(mas-movil). Sometimes its even faster than the DSL in some areas.

There is indeed a guy who can install a long-distance wireless connection which runs with 3Mb as its best for 100 bugs per month and the modem is around 800+. I heard its quit good.

You can also rent an external root server with a 10MegaByte/sec connection. The best fit at the moment is 1&1 for 85+ euro per month. After the setup you can connect with remote desktop connection to your terminal. Its pretty easy ! I've been working like this with a simple 300k connection and it was quit OK.

The land-line-dsl setup could last 3-8 weeks if you start from scratch, also depends to the location. Minimum duration for the contract is one year. The upload rate of the mentioned 10Mb connection from telefonica is around 30Kilobyte/sec and the 3G-Stick doesn't come over 15-20KB/sec.

And Satellite s** even more

do you sorted out your accommodation yet ? some landlords here are quit nice and help ..

Presumably the external root server has all the badnwdith connection and whatever's running thr remote desktop only sends screen information back and forth? I need at least 2 screens so not sure that would work through remote desktop.
10Mb is more than enough with telefonica - it's really the setup times. Some landlords might already have phone line/cable installed so would just be a connection fee?

yeah the terminal solution can be driven with multiple screens except your software which is running upon is preventing multiple instances(better you try to start it twice on your local machine). in top its running permanently and you just need to hookup when needed. And yes, the apps you run on such server are connected to a backbone, 10MegaByte per second, some just do 5 MB/s

The Telefonica 10Mb offer is not for holiday-landlines. Dont ask me about this difference in detail, but they finally it is one. Your landlord has to change the type of the line, and this is quite frustrating and usually you need to call the service every day and insist on it, otherwise it can last long ! Its recommendable to give some tips to the installation guy to get his number !

Be really aware that the more you're away from the major towns the slower your DSL connection becomes. For instance in Sant Carlos you have to cope with 300KB /sec. Sometimes it dropped down to 100 KByte/sec. Just 5 KM further, in "Cala Boix" we had just 100KB/sec. In such areas you're better with 3G.

Also don't forget that the contracts with telefonica have a minimum of 1 year. Something your landlord wants to have probably in advance...
hope it helps,g.

edit: you can try the terminal solution by self at home. just download any windows 2003 server and install it in VMWare's "Virtual Machine. Enable remote desktop users in it and install your application. Then connect with 2 different users(It also configurable for 2 separate terminals for one user). If you have a good rooter, limit the bandwidth to somewhat like 300KB/s and you'll see.

Thanks.
Do you happen to know if any of the operators sell SIM card mobile broadband (ie pre pay for 1 month without having to buy the dongle)?
I already have a Huawei mobile dongle so just want to pay for that and it would only be for 1 month until the line ADSL arrives.
Maybe Orange or Vodafone?

all this techno babble! it only seems 5 minutes ago since you couldn't even get a mobile signal on the island unless you wrapped yourself in tin foil and stood at top of dalt vila

Back