+++ International Music Summit 2009 +++

At the moment i'm doing a work for uni. Its the organisation of a congress in Santa Eularia and since the begining im planning to have translators. Lucky me they have 2 booth for translators! So i dont know why they havent thought about translation when its "INTERNATIONAL"...idiots honestly...

"...
This year's first Ibiza weekend
Jodie Harrison 1 June 2009

As far as weekends go, this one was pretty exciting. On Friday afternoon, weaving my way through the throngs of wig-wearing stags and hens that cluttered the airport, I boarded a busy flight to my beloved second homeland: Ibiza. No, not the Ibiza I'm sure many of you are imagining, the Ibiza of England tops, sunburn and lager, but my Ibiza, the beautiful island I've been visiting with my parents since I was two years old.

I'm a regular here, but this visit was different. I'd been invited to attend something special. A friend was laying on one of the hottest events of the year: the grand finale of the island's International Music Summit (IMS). Now, I've been to some impressive parties on this island in my time, but this one was something else. Standing atop the crumbling golden walls of Ibiza's ancient capital as the sun floats reluctantly into the sea beyond, it's difficult to envisage a better position in which to watch a live dance music event of this scale.

The IMS, an annual dance-scene get together that signals the seasonal beginnings of dance music's primary location, saw nearly 2,000 music fans ascend the cobbled streets of the UNESCO World Heritage Site to watch the likes of the Filthy Dukes, Rob da Bank and Pete Tong perform. It was, however, the event's round-up act, Basement Jaxx, who really pulled in the dance-thirsty crowds. Playing some (although it has to be said not quite enough) of their best hits, the group pulled off one of their characteristically high-energy performances. The flamboyant lead singers, clad in a concoction of eye-popping outfits (one of which looked distinctly like a tin foil fish wrap), jumped and flounced about the stage for nearly two hours, ending one of the best music evenings I've attended in years.

Event Organiser Simeon Friend of the Shop, the company behind some of the biggest celebrity-studded parties and events on the island described the finale as "Momentous. It's a total first. We've never been granted permission to hold a music event at a World Heritage Site before, but this year we managed it so as you can imagine we're pretty excited about that."

It's perhaps appropriate then, that as the music industry ponders where it all went wrong in terms of recorded music sales, the electronic dance scene sees its star continue to rise above the gloom. Why? Simple: because whereas mainstream music focuses on hard hits, the dance industry pivots on regular events and gigs. Live is where the money is at (for the time being), enjoying something of a golden age and it's for the reason that the club scene leads the way. Let's just hope the rest of the industry follows.
..."
(gqmagazine.co.uk)

from the ibiza sun:

IMS

The International Music Summit drew to a close on Friday with a spectacular performance by Basement Jaxx, and the Filthy Dukes, in Dalt Vila attended by 2,000 spectators. The finale was a fitting end to the three-day summit which brought together over 400 members of the music industry from over 30 countries around the world.

There were many topics covered during the forum panels; however talk of the current recession was never too far away. The summit kicked off on Wednesday with a round-table discussion about the way forward, how to compete in the current recession, and positive ways to deal with the internet. The panel of experts included the managers of such illustrious artists as Moby, Paul Oakenfold and Roger Sanchez.

The summit, which concentrates on electronic music, was described by co-organiser, Pete Tong, as the "G8 of music conferences", while offering members a unique networking opportunity.

On the second day it was the turn of the Island Council to introduce the Ibiza Music Cluster, a project it hopes will keep the island at the forefront of all types of musical creativity. Anyone in the music industry will be invited to join the "cluster", with the councillor in charge of the project, Francisco Medina, claiming everyone who had so far been approached had shown a real interest in participating in the project. The main aim of the programme is to keep Ibiza at the head of an industry which already generates €175 million for the island each year.

He revealed he had already been working shoulder to shoulder with some of the major players on the island, including all of the clubs. One of the promises to come out of these meetings was the organisation of a music festival, the first of which will hopefully be taking place in 2010.

Back