Institutionalised Racism?

No, I don't think so.

The organizers probably set up the ticket system based on past experience rather than taking into account the local peculiarities of South Africa (specifically buying habits, level of Internet access and access to bank cards). It appears they've corrected that plenty in advance.

When I was putting in my application for tickets, there were sections of the stadiums (the cheapest seats behind goal) that were marked off for local supporters. I'm sure there's a desire to see South Africans participate.

I saw this article yesterday and I found it interesting that the locals are more interested in the England game than in seeing S. Africa play! Hope that doesn't reduce my chances of getting US v England ticket! :)

No, I don't think so.

The organizers probably set up the ticket system based on past experience rather than taking into account the local peculiarities of South Africa (specifically buying habits, level of Internet access and access to bank cards). It appears they've corrected that plenty in advance.

When I was putting in my application for tickets, there were sections of the stadiums (the cheapest seats behind goal) that were marked off for local supporters. I'm sure there's a desire to see South Africans participate.

I saw this article yesterday and I found it interesting that the locals are more interested in the England game than in seeing S. Africa play! Hope that doesn't reduce my chances of getting US v England ticket! :)

morbs, it wasn't the content. it was one particular, almost subliminal, phrase, which initially i thought was unnecessary, but then wondered......

this article fits much better under this thread´s headline:

"...
Egyptian coach's DIVINE SELECTION

They say politics and sport shouldn't mix.
Football Loco would throw religion in there as well,
but Egypt coach and DEVOUT MUSLIM Hassan Shehata would beg to differ.

Shehata caused a stir this week by suggesting that his team selection is based
on a player's religious motivations rather than his actual ability as a footballer,
and that "pious behaviour" was his first priority when selecting his team ...
..."
(http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/egyptian-coachs-divine-selection-2016382.html)

morbs, it wasn't the content. it was one particular, almost subliminal, phrase, which initially i thought was unnecessary, but then wondered......
Ah, sorry. Misunderstood you. You mean paragraph 6? Hmm... I don't know. I took it at face value, given that we're talking about South Africa. If they'd written the same about Angola I would have found it odd.

Back