illegal taxis

The most baffling thing about illegal taxi drivers is their rates! On occasion I have been approached, the quoted price is always waaaaaay, way more than a genuine taxi. It's a bit like going to Thailand and spending £100s on the "Adidas" & "Nike" gear in the street markets :rolleyes:

Maybe they're just trying it on with tourists who don't know any better?

A single summer night is like a microcosm of the year. Thousands of people want a taxi at 1am and 7am in the summer. Thousands of people want a taxi June to end August.

What do you do with the resource the rest of the year/night?

Having a seasonal permit as an alternative to a year's permit is surely the logical step, whether the existing taxi drivers like it or not.

If you were looking for work in Ibiza, seasonal work doesn't always cut it, I totally understand. But surely 4-5 months of work is better than none at all?

There's a thread on here somewhere which explains it all in much more detail, but basically it's impasse...

Illegal taxis = real taxis lose money

Illegal taxis thrive because of a shortage of real taxis

Solution? Grant more taxt permits, right?

Result = taxi drivers lose money
Surely with the amount of clubbers coming out of Amnesia etc, there wouldn't be much money lost when there's massive queues that them taxi drivers will take hours to attend all to?

Not during those peak times, no. But what about the quieter times of day?

I'm no expert. But my guess would be all drivers would lose out outside of those midnight-2am, 6-8am slots

The most baffling thing about illegal taxi drivers is their rates! On occasion I have been approached, the quoted price is always waaaaaay, way more than a genuine taxi. It's a bit like going to Thailand and spending £100s on the "Adidas" & "Nike" gear in the street markets :rolleyes:

Maybe they're just trying it on with tourists who don't know any better?
Also, how much is a taxi usually costing from Amnesia to PDB at 7 in the morning? I thought 10 euro a head was decent to be honest!

Still, my argument would be it would be better for all concerned if tourists' money was going into the economy and not into the hands of illegal drivers.

Last time at benimusa i ask some uk blokes that i can give a ride for free to pdb & a middle east illegal taxi had an argue with me...
Illegal taxis may charge u more than official Taxi if he spot u as a walking Messy purse :lol:
When askin mates to pay the ice bag & some sodas & some chorizo & chips to play part to the cost, i guess its a fair deal (less than 10€ for 2 people & single/return from ibz town to BMI) :cool: otherwise it will be GRAB a TAXI!:D , as some, think eveything is free in ibz :rolleyes: (ok they need money for their supply :spank:)

the spanish black market is increasingly out of control. there is always someone ready to service your every need, because there are people from all over the world who are desperate to sell anything, whether beer, contraband, fake Barca shirts, their driving skills or their body.

After walking what seemed like 1/2 miles with my partner trying to flag down a legal taxis, an illegal one pulled up. He was an English male, around my age, I was happy enough to bounce in, the missus was having none of it. So we ended up walking a bit more and eventually got a legal taxi.

The next morning I was on here reading about some guy who had got serverly beaten by an illegal taxi driver while trying to mug him. Safe to say I was happy we didn't get in and will not be in the future.

The rate has crept up a little in recent years (or maybe it is merely a result of increased congestion?)
A few years back could get a Taxi from Calle Begonias, Pd'B to the sunset strip for €25-€30. Last year it was closer to €35. Of course that time of day, I suppose congestion is at it's peak anyway.

I know it makes no difference in the eyes of the law, but if you must get an illegal taxi, best to get one by a Brit worker.
Talking purely from a Brit tourist point of view here, but guess the same rule of thumb applies to Spaniards, French, Germans etc.

Agree price before you ride (and barter!), size up your driver and ascertain whether they are fit to drive before you get in the vehicle.
Some of the (illegal)immigrant workers will be on khat (and probably worse!) I'm not insinuating that British workers won't be, but you'll probably get a better feel for how suitable somebody is to drive.

Then at the end of your journey, if you are happy with the price and standard of driving get the driver's no and use them again instead of risking it with an unknown qty.

I'm not advocating the use of illegal taxis. I highly recommend using the real deal. But the reality is people won't. So - as with taking substances - the best method is harm reduction.

I know it makes no difference in the eyes of the law, but if you must get an illegal taxi, best to get one by a Brit worker.
Talking purely from a Brit tourist point of view here, but guess the same rule of thumb applies to Spaniards, French, Germans etc.

Agree price before you ride (and barter!), size up your driver and ascertain whether they are fit to drive before you get in the vehicle.
Some of the (illegal)immigrant workers will be on khat (and probably worse!) I'm not insinuating that British workers won't be, but you'll probably get a better feel for how suitable somebody is to drive.

Then at the end of your journey, if you are happy with the price and standard of driving get the driver's no and use them again instead of risking it with an unknown qty.

I'm not advocating the use of illegal taxis. I highly recommend using the real deal. But the reality is people won't. So - as with taking substances - the best method is harm reduction.

Solid advice :lol:

Back