illegal taxis

AR_IBIZA

Quick question for everyone about the illegal taxi drivers outside Amnesia. Last year I was using them every time I went as the que of legal ones was a joke and there seemed to be plenty of guys offering a lift. I found every one I got in to be a really nice chap and dropped us exactly where we was going for 10 euro a head!

Does anyone have anything bad to say about them? Not many people took this option at all and preferred to stand in a long que waiting and I know that people think these could be dodgy but in reality I found them all to be nice people just wanting to earn some easy cash. Am I being really stupid and should you avoid these or are they ok?

Quick question for everyone about the illegal taxi drivers outside Amnesia. Last year I was using them every time I went as the que of legal ones was a joke and there seemed to be plenty of guys offering a lift. I found every one I got in to be a really nice chap and dropped us exactly where we was going for 10 euro a head!

Does anyone have anything bad to say about them? Not many people took this option at all and preferred to stand in a long que waiting and I know that people think these could be dodgy but in reality I found them all to be nice people just wanting to earn some easy cash. Am I being really stupid and should you avoid these or are they ok?

while I am aware that sometimes outside the clubs you gotta wait for a while to get a legal taxi (and the fact that in peak season there ineed should be more taxis), in the end it's an ideological question. by taking illegal taxis you simply support black money. it's the same as renting a villa or an apartment that doesn't have a touristic license. while you might get home quicker, in a global view it just doesn't help spain's economy. it helps the individual alone that drives you and the more people use illegal taxis the more illegal taxis will be appearing etc etc. i

while I am aware that sometimes outside the clubs you gotta wait for a while to get a legal taxi (and the fact that in peak season there ineed should be more taxis), in the end it's an ideological question. by taking illegal taxis you simply support black money. it's the same as renting a villa or an apartment that doesn't have a touristic license. while you might get home quicker, in a global view it just doesn't help spain's economy. it helps the individual alone that drives you and the more people use illegal taxis the more illegal taxis will be appearing etc etc. i
This is a fair point that you make regarding the economy but after Cocoon Closing last year we had waited for a good 20 minutes and had only seen about 4 Taxis! So just got another illegal one. Surely for the overall economy of the island the illegal ones would benefit it more? This is due the fact more money is paid and this money goes to residents of the island so they will only be spending this in shops and supplies on the island?

this money goes to residents of the island so they will only be spending this in shops and supplies on the island?

let me ask you, what nationalities have you been driven around by when taking illegal taxis?

They can be really dodgy as well - had a guy pick me up outside benimussa last year and during the course of the ride it became very clear that he was in no fit state...a little scary. Made me think again about using one deffo.

Not so great if you're involved in an accident (no insurance) or pulled over by the cops and dumped at the side of the road!
As a passenger in an illegal I mean

there are a lot of reasons why NOT to take an illegal taxi really. but yeah as I said, I understand that a lot of people (at least the tourists) don't think about this when they've waited 20mins in the blistering heat when coming out of a club in the morning and are tired.

They can be really dodgy as well - had a guy pick me up outside benimussa last year and during the course of the ride it became very clear that he was in no fit state...a little scary. Made me think again about using one deffo.

Same here mate - we got one last year from Solomon plus one against my better judgement. He spent the whole journey absolutely going to town on legal taxis and how he hated them - my mate told him to pipe down before he had a whitey

Legal for me this year

I know it's tempting to use one after long session. But none of them will have the correct insurance,if any at all. How many have a driving licence? They'll be tired from working longer hours because they're undercutting the licenced drivers. And God knows how many sexual assaults they carry out. It's just like getting an uber..!

Anyone who uses these fu#$%rs needs their head testing (before it goes through the front windscreen anyway)

Give me a 15 minute wait in a queue any day rather than be driven in some battered up, uninsured motor driven by a coked and hashed up criminal who has not been to bed for 48 hrs and doesn't hold a driving licence.

Taxis are relatively cheap in a Ibiza anyway and I find the proper Taxi Drivers can be really good to chat to.

Give me a 15 minute wait in a queue any day
Last year, I can safely say that if it weren't for opting out to get an illegal taxi, I would've been waiting ATLEAST 2 hours to get back from Amnesia after Cocoon, I understand how dangerous these guys can be as they could be anyone and anything could happen (we was taken down a dodgy road at one point, but was him trying a 'shortcut') but i agree with @aregandj in saying that it was a much easier option, if they were trying to stop this on the island then surely there should be more legal taxi drivers coming to and from the busy clubs?

Anyone who uses these fu#$%rs needs their head testing (before it goes through the front windscreen anyway)

Give me a 15 minute wait in a queue any day rather than be driven in some battered up, uninsured motor driven by a coked and hashed up criminal who has not been to bed for 48 hrs and doesn't hold a driving licence.

Taxis are relatively cheap in a Ibiza anyway and I find the proper Taxi Drivers can be really good to chat to.
This most definitely was not going to be a 15 minute wait! We had waited for 20 minutes and seen about 4 taxis and a really long que! Also the ones I got in had really nice drivers who were completely with it had a good chat and have rather nice cars as well. Obviously I would much prefer to get a licensed one but when a 2 hour que is on the cards its hard to wait!

the slightly annoying thing is not being atcually able to BOOK a taxi whether it be from a club bar or restaurant
i know this maybe not the case in less club orientated places on the island (i know you can actually book a taxi in some cases but the first person that they see will just jump in)

also i know this would never happen for various reason but i would gladly pay a taxi fare up front and have a taxi waiting at say 7am at amnesia

the slightly annoying thing is not being atcually able to BOOK a taxi whether it be from a club bar or restaurant
i know this maybe not the case in less club orientated places on the island (i know you can actually book a taxi in some cases but the first person that they see will just jump in)

also i know this would never happen for various reason but i would gladly pay a taxi fare up front and have a taxi waiting at say 7am at amnesia
Literally just answered the question i was about to ask, if you could book taxi's then this would surely make the situation a lot easier to get home safely, Is there even Uber on the island?

The booking thing just isn't implementable. Hundreds - thousands at kick-out - even dozens scattered throughout the night, all leaving a venue and wanting to get taken to (mostly) San An or Bossa. If you could book, the reality is your taxi would be poached by somebody else. I can totally understand why this isnt an option.

When leaving a club I - and I'm sure many others - are just happy to get back to resort. Getting dropped right outside the hotel isn't imperative, I don't mind walking the rest. Sometimes I quite like it.

Taxis sitting around waiting for their booking when other potential customers are waiting is them losing money at the end of the day. Don't blame them. It isn't like they can dictate what they charge. Unlike the discos!!

The booking thing just isn't implementable. Hundreds - thousands at kick-out - even dozens scattered throughout the night, all leaving a venue and wanting to get taken to (mostly) San An or Bossa. If you could book, the reality is your taxi would be poached by somebody else. I can totally understand why this isnt an option.

When leaving a club I - and I'm sure many others - are just happy to get back to resort. Getting dropped right outside the hotel isn't imperative, I don't mind walking the rest. Sometimes I quite like it.

Taxis sitting around waiting for their booking when other potential customers are waiting is them losing money at the end of the day. Don't blame them. It isn't like they can dictate what they charge. Unlike the discos!!
Yeah I agree with you I do not blame them for taking other people if they are there first but surely if the illegal taxis are a problem for legal ones then why isn't there more legal ones on the island? I have to agree with you about the small walk back sometimes, taking in your surroundings and reminiscing on a great night, cant beat it! I know @aregandj enjoys this just as much as i do!

There's a thread on here somewhere which explains it all in much more detail, but basically it's impasse...

Illegal taxis = real taxis lose money

Illegal taxis thrive because of a shortage of real taxis

Solution? Grant more taxt permits, right?

Result = taxi drivers lose money

Back