I'll be warming up for Marshall Jefferson on March 12th

Bubble

If anyone fancies coming to the below, PM me for concession guestlist places. It's the friendliest party in town and I'll be on deck duty from 11.30 - 12.30 before Marshall Jefferson takes over :D

smartie_b.jpg

smartie_f.jpg

Trevor Fung :eek: , didn't realise he was still spinning, I remember when he was a ressie at the Eclipses in Cambridge back inthe early 90's, top DJ, nice guy yo if i remmber correctly! Good to see the oldies (like myself) still avin't.

NicktheGreek said:
Trevor Fung :eek: , didn't realise he was still spinning, I remember when he was a ressie at the Eclipses in Cambridge back inthe early 90's, top DJ, nice guy yo if i remmber correctly! Good to see the oldies (like myself) still avin't.

I don't think he's spinning much these days. apparently he taught Oakie how to mix . :eek:

cant make it alex. but best of british etc to ya.

note to self: must get to see AlexG play out again soon :oops:

Sounds great but I'll be a couple of thousand miles from London at that time so cannae make it, sorry!

Marshall Jefferson is excellent tho, you cannot compliment the guy on his clothing but he still knows how to move the dancefloor! :lol:

Peppermint said:
Sounds great but I'll be a couple of thousand miles from London at that time so cannae make it, sorry!

Marshall Jefferson is excellent tho, you cannot compliment the guy on his clothing but he still knows how to move the dancefloor! :lol:

Hey, you're forgiven. :lol: Never seen M Jefferson so I'll be interested to see what he's like :eek: 8)

looks like you won't get another chance Bubble

Now imagine a white person saying this. ? It would be headline News..
Aled Jones comes out saying he's giving up church singing because Black Gospel singers are filling up all the big Churches and only his granny comes to hear him.

"I feel my music is being remixed and whitewashed to sell. The reason is a more “white” sounding dance record they feel will sell better — which is probably right. Of course, no one is better at sounding “white” than actual white artists. "

Mainstreamed = Whitewashed?

?

There have been a couple of musical waves where black pioneers have not been able to cash-in once their genre went mainstream. Its frustrating, however...

Most black people in the US dont listen to "EDM". For some, its a broad label here BTW, right or wrong, that can include house, techno, trance, etc. There are subcultures that may be into house, but its a small subset and tends to be clustered around just a couple of cities. In the early/mid 90s some of the 'house' tunes were regularly played on 'black' radio stations. Later, R&B producers took some house elements and updated their own sounds and (pure) house tracks failed to get commercial traction after that, and stayed underground. At university (late 90s), there was only a handful of us that were into house, and we had to go to "international" parties to hear electronic music, generally. In the early 2000s the more EDM style started making commercial headway in the US, but it was almost all imported stuff from Europe. It was more "trancey" and less "housey".

Anyway, I do think it would be interesting to understand how DJs are compensated for live gigs... he alluded to Carl Cox being underpaid!!! From what I have learned on this forum it seems that 95 percent of DJs dont get paid much (or at all), even in Ibiza. It would be nice to see some actual data.

Back