Ibiza - what a bag of ****!

G

gecko2

went to Ibiza for the first time this summer with my girlfriend for 2 weeks between 1st to 15th September, stopped in Playa Den Bossa. The weather was very nice, the apartment was good and we found one very good restaurant (out of loads, which were ****).

But a few things really ****ed me off, the hustlers who try and get you in the bars are a pain in the freakin' arse. If I want to go in a certain bar then I will of my own accord, not by some bull**** offer of 2 for 1, or free shots. There are 2 bars which really stick in my mind, one is called Kopi's or something similar in Playa Den Bossa, it was the first bar we walked past every night on our holiday and the same stocky blonde haired guy tried to get us in the bar, which we never went into just because of him. After about 6 nights walking past him he yet again tried to get us into the bar, we said 'no' and carried on walking, at that point he grabbed my girlfriends wrist and tried pulling her in, I had hold of her other hand and didn't realise what was going on until my girlfriend was being between myself and this ****head. So I stopped stared at him and was just about lay this ****er out on the pavement and he then decided it would be a good idea to let go, my girlfriends wrist hurt her and he nearly pulled her watch off her arm she told me as we sat further down the road in another bar. So I wasn't going to let this one go, so for the last 8 days off the holiday as we walked past him going to and from the apartment basically I verbally abused him, pretty severely at times, seeing whether he would try grabbing hold of my arm, which he never did, the guy looked a complete prick but just didn't get the message. He was pretty thick looking though.

Then there's the bar on the mainstreet in Playa Den Bossa, called the Container DJ Bar or something, here you pay 7 euros for a bottle of bud, they try and see how much money you have in your wallet when you open it and you get **** service thrown in for free, great! Plus it's buy one get one free, and the one you get free isn't the same as the one you originally ordered because they can't be bothered to get you one. I would fully recommend NOT ever going there because they'll try and rip you off guaranteed. Possibly the worst bar in the world. (Carlsberg?)

The looky-looky men are complete nobs who should take notice when you say no, I was sat on Playa Den Bossa beach and he just wouldn't get the hint I didn't want any glasses even though I was wearing some, so a gob full of sand did the trick. What do they sell in winter? Father Christmas beards? Sledges? Christmas trees?

Most of the restaurants are pretty lame, apart from one I fully recommend, called Moorea not far from Space in Playa Den Bossa. Excellent food.

Space was good at Carl Cox's fifth and sixth nights, top music, Jack De Marseilles, Will Grant were spot on. Shame about the completely ****ed up bar prices, which I was expecting, but I know they're only open for the summer but there's a limit you can expect somebody to pay and frankly Space isn't run properly, people won't pay those prices forever and it'll be Space's one sticky end one day.

Went to El Divino for 4:4 with Dave Seaman, which was actually pretty quiet, which suprised me as he's very good. Won't be going there again.

In Ibiza town the old part stinks, it really does, I don't think anyone around there wipes there **** after going to the loo. Went there, got lost in it and eventuallt found my way out.

A lot of Spanish people there I found to be freakin' ignorant, I speak a bit of spanish, enough to get by on, but you get this feeling that they don't want you there. Plus Ibiza is a fashion victim's paradise, I don't know what some people think they look like when the look in the mirror before going out but it really did make me laugh, I know what goes with what, but a kilt does go with anything Prada or a string vest and sandles. There's just too many people who have there own view on everything over there, and not one which should be more laid back, some Spaniard started insulting me in Spanish in Space's toliet's thinking I couldn't speak a word, he was a little surprised when I started having a go back, I saw him in the car park later on and I didn't know there was a lot of olympic sprinter's in Ibiza, but boy could he move.

Generally the holiday was good, not exactly how I thought it would be, the highlight was sitting at Cala Jondal beach watching the sun go down. But next year I won't be going back as generally Ibiza is a big bag of ****!

I was in Playa D'en Bossa with my boyfriend between 7th and 21st September and I agree with you on a few points, although it's a shame that it ruined your holiday.

The variety of food in Playa D'en Bossa was pretty lousy. I also went to the Moorea (spelling?) and had a lovely meal but it wasn't all that cheap and there was also an Indian restaraunt opposite Space that was excellent, but also rather pricey (more than I'd pay back here) The rest were cafe-style places which had the advantage of being cheap and filled you up for the nights clubbing.
However, being so close to Ibiza Town and with cheap and frequent buses, if we wanted a nice, romantic meal we just headed off there (Sa Torreta was amazing-so good we ate there twice) Infact, I completely fell in love with Ibiza Town.

I also know about that twat outside the bar you were talking about as we had to walk past him several times a day for the fortnight as we were staying just around the corner in Squash Apartments. We kept saying we weren't interested (as if I'd actually pay to sit in a bar playing Dj Otzi!) but he was pretty forceful and would even ask us when we were carrying an 8 litre bottle of water or our suitcases!!! That whole road was a bit of a nightmare, but we just politely said no (or that we didn't drink alcohol, at which point they'd try to force Manumission tickets upon you)

I didn't find the looky looky men too offputting-and you could get decent gear off them very easilly. The only real problem I have with Ibiza is the price of the drinks in the clubs as there is no way around it even if your not doing any drugs and don't drink booze as otherwise you'll collapse of heat exhaustion. I tried drinking the tap water in Pacha but I was nearly sick at the taste of it, so perhaps I'll try to flavour it with Vitamin C tablets next year.

That was my first time in Ibiza and I found it to be wonderful and I'll definitly be going back next year.

Chill out man!! Good grief, I've never read a post with so much venom.

Totally understand if some nob frightens your gf/ wife, but such things are easily dealt with.

I think perhaps this post is a wind up, how anyone can come home from paradise this stressed beggars belief.

How can someone come back and not be chilled? Chucking sand in a looky mans face? They have jobs to do? A polite no thank you normally does it. I can also understand the thing with your girlfriend but what a nasty attitude you have to everything else.

Do you smoke? If not you may want to start.

I would never stay in Playa Den Bossa as I would be board silly. San Antonio, that people try and slag off because of one street is the only place to stay.

The imporvements this year with the beaches, Excellent places to eat (The Curry Club, Kasbah, El Vaticano and Villa Mercedes - I think it's called that?), Cafe Del Mar, The rest of the sunset strip, The Bar M strip, Kanya which was looking great this year and a general good buzz. Viva San Antonio - you have turned yourself around!

I thought Playa D'en Bossa was a great base and so close to Ibiza Town as well. Plus it has a much better beach than San An, and none of its beer boys and sunburnt slappers. It was fantastic having Bora Bora on your doorstep as well as Space.

From hanging out a bit in San Antonio with friends I'd definitly say Playa D'en Bossa is the better place to stay. Although I agree that it is nowhere near as bad as people make out and I actually had a very pleasant time there.

I don't want to get into a Playa d'en Bossa v San An war but it's d'en Bossa every time.....two words.....Bora Bora! :p

Anyway Gecko I think your attitude stinks....Next year I suggest you find a deserted island far away from anyone. That way nobody will bother you and we won't have to listen to your shite. :rolleyes:

Give the guy a break!

Everyone can have a shitty holiday no matter where they go! this guy has just got back and all the things that annoyed him are fresh on his mind so hes just getting them off his chest!

I've been to Ibiza twice now, the first time was in 1999 for 2 weeks and while there are a few good memories in general it was one of the worst holidays ive ever had, I swore I would never go back.

I decided to give it another go this year and was out for the first two weeks in August and can honestly say it was one of the best holidays i've ever had.

The reasons for not enjoying/enjoying both holidays are too numerous to mention but one thing is for sure, I'll be back!!

Give the guy a break!

I'd agree on that one! To be honest, much as I love you all, you're all as bad as each other (except your post Lushcrew!).

You all accuse Gecko of being ignorant and having a bad attitude. Yet, the negative responses he's recieved from you lot are along the same lines.

It IS possible to go to Ibiza and have a bad time. You know, I had a bit of a shite one on my first visit when all our money, cards, Everything were lost on the last day. OK, the timing wasn't too bad, but I got a pretty good impression of how unhelpful locals could be.

So, does this make me an idiot? Does it mean I have no respect? Ask yourselves, but read Gecko's post. It sounds to me like he was really looking forward to the holiday, but so much shite happened that it tainted the entire thing.

If anything, he should be offered a complimentary revisit by the tourist department.

So come on. Let people speak their mind, discuss the issues and consider that when something bad, irritating or rude happens to someone, it might not always be their fault.

None of you know this guy, but I know his area and the people. I have always found people from Hull to be warm, laid back and friendly. In fact, he actually knows some people who are not only fantastic DJs, but very good friends of mine.

So, before passing judgement, take off those rose-tinted glasses and delve a little deeper.

OK? :evil:

'better beach than San An, and none of its beer boys and sunburnt slappers'

What? Germans packed in like sardines, pissed and trying to dance outside Bora Bora? Were you at the same place?

LOL!

Didn't notice any trouble (which I had been expecting). Yes Bora Bora can get pretty busy but that's something which makes it so special-dancing with happy people from all over the world!

Although I was also pleasantly surprised by San An-certainly has a better choice of bars and restaraunts than Playa Den Bossa as well.

And James75, I wasn't having at go at Mr Gecko either! ;)

sh1t! Sorry, I missed you out.

Anyway, the rest of you know who you are.

On a lighter note, does anyone think :eek: this looks shocked?

Looks more like what happens to you in Bladerunners when you fall outside onto the planet Mars and your head explodes.

Surely this :eek: looks more shocked?

Well, I'm sure there's probably some train of thought there somewhere :rolleyes: . I could do with a crazy face really, 'cos I feel a bit :cry: and :( at the moment as I'll be unemployed 4 weeks today.

jamese75 said:
On a lighter note, does anyone think :eek: this looks shocked?

Looks more like what happens to you in Bladerunners when you fall outside onto the planet Mars and your head explodes.

Surely this :eek: looks more shocked?

Well, I'm sure there's probably some train of thought there somewhere :rolleyes: . I could do with a crazy face really, 'cos I feel a bit :cry: and :( at the moment as I'll be unemployed 4 weeks today.

I'd say this :eek: looks far more like an "off youe tits" emoticon!

How's this for a crazy one?
mashed.gif

;)

Gecko is right on some points, try walking around San An at 4 am and you'll meet luckys who don't know the meaning of the word NO! Also the locals in the shops in San An are the most ignorant sons of bitches on the planet, Serves me right for staying in the hole though. Won't make that mistake again..

BARTONIOUS said:
How's this for a crazy one?
mashed.gif

;)

:evil:

btw: never had prob with looky men or bar prs, just dont go near um. not difficult really. i got a great pair of 5euro shadies from a looky looky guy that rocked
. i suppose if you are looking for a fight, like some obviously are, they come in handy.

my 5cents den'bossa is the only resort worth a piss coz
Space is walkable
you can sunbathe outside Bora Bora every day (though, despite the mayhem on this board about water prices, i worked out that if you sunbathe there every day for a fortnight you will end up paying close to 175 eruos for the sunloungers)
Ancient People at dawn
The boat to Ibiza Town
The food is fine, no worse than any beach resort food anywhere in Europe
The Water Park
Few, if any scallies and club 18-30s
Clean, Decent, Reliable Jet Apts
It's a long way to San An
The most exciting mix of familes and clubbers from all over the world. Its wot beefa is about

jamese75 said:
So come on. Let people speak their mind, discuss the issues and consider that when something bad, irritating or rude happens to someone, it might not always be their fault.

None of you know this guy, but I know his area and the people. I have always found people from Hull to be warm, laid back and friendly. In fact, he actually knows some people who are not only fantastic DJs, but very good friends of mine.

So, before passing judgement, take off those rose-tinted glasses and delve a little deeper.

Thanks jamese75 for that. Sorry I haven't replied earlier, but I've been a bit busy.

I'm not trying to offend anyone on these boards by what I've said, it was my view of Ibiza as I got back, it wasn't how I expected it and was a slightly agitated by a few things which I should maybe not let affect my first trip. I know I said I wouldn't go again, but maybe one day I will but not for a couple of years at least. I want to go right around the world and see as many different dance music scenes in as many different cultures and continents as they all have something to offer. Maybe I'm more into my more underground style more than the commercial side of things, but it was my decision to go to Ibiza as it's something I've been wanting to do for a number of years even though commerciality dominates on the Island. All I'm saying is that it could of been a lot better, if it had I would be there every year from now.

Can I also say I'm not a violent person and never set out to hurt anyone or start a fight with the locals, it was us that got the trouble and sometimes you can't avoid it how ever hard you try. (read original post) I'm a nice guy and try to get along with anyone who is ok, one of my rules in life is 'treat people the way you expect to be treat'

What I didn't say in my original post is all the good things I experienced, I'd like to share a few, to show I didn't have a holiday from hell, but one I've learnt a lot about Ibiza from.

- I met new people from Turkey, Germany, Ibiza, Scotland, Ireland and England who were extremely nice and friendly.

- I'll never forget watching the sun going down at Cala Jondal

- I met Dave Seaman in El Divino and had a chat, not every day a top dj has the time for the people who go to see him. Still a hame the club was quiet though.

- The beaches were all really good, the guy we used to pay for our loungers was always smiling and friendly.

- Bora Bora was just nuts, there's one tune from there which sticks inmmy mind and sends a shiver down my neck, don't know the name of it though.

- The scenery was amazing, there's more to Ibiza than drink, drugs and clubs.

- Space was a good club, but as I said before the bar prices was way to high.

- The weather was fantastic, only rained once for about an hour.

I could list loads more, but I've got to go. I'll look forward to any replies, whether they're nice or not.

I know I'm sad but the :eek: has the look on my face when the Miss Moneypenny's crew walked past outside Cafe del Mar!!

Either that or the expression I'd imagine you'd get if you drop the soap on D wing!
;)

jamese75 - I think you mean the :eek: looks like when their eyes bug out from no air in the movie "Total Recall" with Arnold. The movie is based on the book by Philip K. Dick - "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale"

ha ha

Back