Ibiza version of Groupon?

Groupon itself has almost no offers for Ibiza - is there an alternative? I'm not really a penny-pincher, just looking for ideas for things to do.

this concept never took off here on the island and as far as I'm aware there isn't really an alternative.

one thing I would recommend, if you are after good value lunchtime meals, is trying out the menu del día (tagesmenü) offered in lots of restaurants and bars. you won't find those set menus in any of the fancy beach clubs or other upmarket restaurants, but if you're after a fairly priced meal at lunchtime and want something 'real', why not. lots of places in the towns (ibiza town, figueretas, sta E, san an) have them on offer and it's usually 12-15€ or so for a 3 course menu.

Thanks, I already have those on my radar when it comes to lunches. Groupon often has deals for excursions and activities as well (think segway tours, etc.) was hoping to find something like that for Ibiza.

To save on meals, you can try adding half board or even full board to the hotel booking. When I stayed at Torre del Mar, half board booked through the package tour operator cost just 10€ extra (much cheaper than 28€ the hotel itself would charge for the same buffet dinner). It was just a matter of calling Thomas Cook (RIP) and asking them to add half board to my booking.

But eating at a hotel isn't that exciting (I suspect even less so during the pandemic), and it kinds of breaks your schedule, because you have to get to the hotel in time for dinner. For this reason, I never booked full board - because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to resist the free lunch every day, and that would certainly have ruined the vacation :D

For excursions and activities, the best money saver is to have a rental car - there are a lot of amazing places you can visit with a car that wouldn't cost you a penny. Beaches, markets, natural attractions, even just driving around the beautiful countryside in the middle of the island. Ibiza Spotlight here has a lot of info on attractions, and I used a Baedeker Ibiza guide book on my first visit, which helped a lot too.

But this only works if you don't care much about the "socializing" aspect of group tours and just want sightseeing and activities. And if the purpose of Groupon for you is to get ideas (and not to save money), this wouldn't work either. But here on Ibiza Spotlight (the main website, not the forum), there are lots of ideas for activities, both guided and unguided ones. It's not much different from Groupon, except that there is no discount.

@stivi 's tours look like an interesting option, although judging from some stuff he has been doing (especially diving into that cave with the only exit being an underwater tunnel), I would have to bring a lot of replacement pants and a testament with me if I were to join any of his tours ;)

I doubt you'll find a lot of Groupon-like deals on Ibiza, since there doesn't seem to be a cut-throat competition among businesses on the island.

Thanks. Yeah, half or full board are not an option, I want to try a good dozen of restaurants ? I already booked a scooter, will be all over the island to explore. I was really looking for a website like Groupon to get even more ideas for doing things, even though I am pretty booked up already (stand-up paddle board tour, walking tour of Ibiza Town, hiking, beach clubs, markets, etc.).

even though I am pretty booked up already

One advice I can give from my own first time on Ibiza - don't plan every minute in advance, leave ample free time in case you want to do spontaneous things. I don't know how long you are planning to stay (or whether you like your vacation to be relaxed or full of action), but for a first timer, it's unlikely you will find yourself suddenly being out of ideas of what to do today.

There are lots of options, there are about 60 different beaches (with about 10 being must visit), several towns worth visiting (Ibiza Town, Santa Eulalia, Portinatx, Santa Gertrudis etc.), nice hiking trails, some hidden gems (Punta Galera, Atlantis, the Es Savinar tower), and if all else fails, you can do a daytrip to the neighboring island of Formentera. Oh, and you'll want to visit Ibiza Town both during the day and at night, it's a very different vibe after dark.

One advice I can give from my own first time on Ibiza - don't plan every minute in advance, leave ample free time in case you want to do spontaneous things.

Thanks, I appreciate the sentiment, but it's not how I roll; attached is a (anonymised) screenshot of my calendar for my week on Ibiza - pretty packed ? I am covering many places and activities you mention but doubt I'll suddenly have an epithany about what to do or where to visit when on the island that I didn't have during my hours of research.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200630-215555.jpg
    Screenshot_20200630-215555.jpg
    579.3 KB · Views: 35
Thanks, I appreciate the sentiment, but it's not how I roll; attached is a (anonymised) screenshot of my calendar for my week on Ibiza - pretty packed ? I am covering many places and activities you mention but doubt I'll suddenly have an epithany about what to do or where to visit when on the island that I didn't have during my hours of research.

You need to start over. I dont see any toilet breaks on your spreadsheet.

Just kidding, I do a slightly (actually much) less detailed version, so I dont forget date-specific parties or weekly tours.

To save on meals, you can try adding half board or even full board to the hotel booking. When I stayed at Torre del Mar, half board booked through the package tour operator cost just 10€ extra (much cheaper than 28€ the hotel itself would charge for the same buffet dinner). It was just a matter of calling Thomas Cook (RIP) and asking them to add half board to my booking.

But eating at a hotel isn't that exciting (I suspect even less so during the pandemic), and it kinds of breaks your schedule, because you have to get to the hotel in time for dinner. For this reason, I never booked full board - because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to resist the free lunch every day, and that would certainly have ruined the vacation :D

For excursions and activities, the best money saver is to have a rental car - there are a lot of amazing places you can visit with a car that wouldn't cost you a penny. Beaches, markets, natural attractions, even just driving around the beautiful countryside in the middle of the island. Ibiza Spotlight here has a lot of info on attractions, and I used a Baedeker Ibiza guide book on my first visit, which helped a lot too.

But this only works if you don't care much about the "socializing" aspect of group tours and just want sightseeing and activities. And if the purpose of Groupon (help: groupon customer service) for you is to get ideas (and not to save money), this wouldn't work either. But here on Ibiza Spotlight (the main website, not the forum), there are lots of ideas for activities, both guided and unguided ones. It's not much different from Groupon, except that there is no discount.

@stivi 's tours look like an interesting option, although judging from some stuff he has been doing (especially diving into that cave with the only exit being an underwater tunnel), I would have to bring a lot of replacement pants and a testament with me if I were to join any of his tours ;)

I doubt you'll find a lot of Groupon-like deals on Ibiza, since there doesn't seem to be a cut-throat competition among businesses on the island.

I agree. Nice post

Back