ibiza rocks

chezzy

with people saying the clubs were a bit quieter this year but statistics claiming that more people actually went to Ibiza.Could it be that more people are enjoying the indie scene,from what ive heard loads of people attended ibiza rocks concerts.My kids are not clubbers but had the best ever night at the Zutons(their words)They cant wait for next years line up.

with people saying the clubs were a bit quieter this year but statistics claiming that more people actually went to Ibiza.Could it be that more people are enjoying the indie scene,from what ive heard loads of people attended ibiza rocks concerts.My kids are not clubbers but had the best ever night at the Zutons(their words)They cant wait for next years line up.

The clubbing scene is as strong as ever globally.

The Ibiza rocks gigs only had capacities of a 1000 when held at the hotel, yet Dutch DJ Tiesto and German record label Cocoon could pull in 10,000 and 8000 people respectively every Monday night. I don't think many bands could do that week after week, and if for talking sake the main music played in Ibiza was guitar driven I don't think you would see the same amount of people going there on holiday..

I hear most places have been quiet in Europe this year due to the strength of the Pound against the Euro, with other further afield destinations becoming more desirable.

Who knows if the numbers will be affected next year, if the ''credit crunch'' continues.

I don't think many bands could do that week after week, and if for talking sake the main music played in Ibiza was guitar driven I don't think you would see the same amount of people going there on holiday..

why ? only 20% of the annual tourists are clubbers... why is it that clubbers think they and only they have first dibs on the island ? of course clubbing is important to the island but people forget that the majority of tourists are not clubbers - the press distort this fact since 90% of the stuff written is generally about brits on the piss clubbing in san an ;)

as for live bands not getting the numbers - that maybe true in ibiza but thats only because no-one is willing to do it on a larger scale and because the local govn wont sanction larger gigs (eg at the hippodrome etc). the global live music scene is far healthier than the clubbing scene

Interesting, there seems to be a massive assumption that everybody comes to Ibiza for the clubs. I would be interested to know how many of the two million tourists that Ibiza receives each year are actually clubbers. The Spanish being Spanish (bless 'em) do not keep records like this as far as I know; but probably not as many as you would think. IMHO Ibiza would quite happily survive if all the clubs packed up and left the island tomorrow. In my experience there are enough non-clubbers holidaying on the island who have a large amount of disposable income and would quickly step into the shoes of the clubbers who despite patronising the clubs tend to spend bugger all in the restaurants, bars and shops on the rest of the island.

In my experience there are enough non-clubbers holidaying on the island who have a large amount of disposable income and would quickly step into the shoes of the clubbers who despite patronising the clubs tend to spend bugger all in the restaurants, bars and shops on the rest of the island.

So people who go clubbing tend to spend bugger all in the restaurants, bars and shops do they? :lol:

Although my main reason in going to Ibiza is clubbing, I can tell you that 50% of the money I take with me is spent in bars and supermarkets due to the price of alcohol in clubs being ridiculously high, and I'm not the only one as the supermarkets for one are busy 24/7 with clubbers on the same budget as me in the months of June - September.

What about in PDB with the effect the afterhours law has had on the place? A lot quieter streets during the day with bars closing and shops and restaurants on their arses due to the lack of people around to keep their businesses going... could have something to do with the fact that Space is closed during the day now eh? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope to be going to Ibiza for about the 40th time next May - and I have yet to see the inside of a club.

Most of the people I see in May, July and September are similarly inclined.

I have nothing against clubs or indeed the drunken souls inhabitting San An - as long as they stay in their bit and don't ruin my holiday.

However I do believe Ibiza could carry on quite happily, if not better, without the so called music scene which only caters for the minority and probably puts off many more from visiting what is portrayed in the media as a drugs and booze paradise.

Maybe the publicity of yet more young people stupidly ending their lives prematurely will move the authorities to arrest far more before they die.

Only an opinion of course.

What about in PDB with the effect the afterhours law has had on the place? A lot quieter streets during the day with bars closing and shops and restaurants on their arses due to the lack of people around to keep their businesses going... could have something to do with the fact that Space is closed during the day now eh? :)

Cala Llonga, Es Cana, Santa Eulalia, San Miguel, Portinatx are all quieter this year. Is that all down to Space closing during the day? Or could it be due to the media talking up the credit crunch and the indifferent exchange rate that was available this year?

I pointed out that clubbers don't spend much money on the rest of the island and you have illustrated my point perfectly. Believe it or not there is more to Ibiza than San An and PDB.

Cala Llonga, Es Cana, Santa Eulalia, San Miguel, Portinatx are all quieter this year. Is that all down to Space closing during the day? Or could it be due to the media talking up the credit crunch and the indifferent exchange rate that was available this year?

I pointed out that clubbers don't spend much money on the rest of the island and you have illustrated my point perfectly. Believe it or not there is more to Ibiza than San An and PDB.

I am not disputing your point that Ibiza couldn't survive without the club scene, of course it could, and slowly it is being phased out. Yes the credit crunch and exchange rates have played a big part in the lower numbers this year which has been seen across the board in Europe due to people holidaying further afield, but I believe the afterhours law has affected the number of clubbers coming to Ibiza and I don't agree with you saying that we aren't spending money in bars shops etc.

Like it or not, we make a serious contribution to the Island's economy in the summer months.

I think we've went way off the initial point that was made in the beginning of the post.

I think in some respects Ibiza Rocks has had a positive effect on the Island, for a start it appeals to a wider audience. It has brought Indie/Rock kids who typically would not have considered going to Ibiza because of it's reputation for being a "clubbing"capital to the island. I didn't go to one of these gigs this year, but I've heard that they were brilliant, and I'll definitely consider going next year.

I think the clubs were quieter, but I don't think this is directly related to the increasing popularity of Ibiza Rocks, I think you can safely point at the "credit crunch" the ridiculous costs to go out and drink in nightclubs, and also there being a greater choice of different nights to go too and perhaps direct club night competition affecting numbers, the change in the laws etc.

I think it is ridiculous to say that those who come clubbing to Ibiza spend nothing in restaraunts/supermarkets, I spent over £2k this year, I ate out every night and I don't think I night went by without me wandering about a supermarket looking for something to eat/drink etc

Back