Ibiza review type stuff (25th August - 6th September)

marcusg

Hey folks, bit of a round up of my third trip to tha white isle ... sorry it's a bit long :oops: , but once I got started I just couldn't stop!! :p Enjoy!! :D

Release Yourself @ Pacha (Mon 25/08 )
Never seen the S-man before so was well looking forward to this, plus was our first night so feeling well excited and energetic, despite not having slept the night before ... hammered a few vodka limons and sorted out tickets at K-ube (top bar, see below), then got into Pacha pretty early, chilled on the gorgeous roof terrace with a few more vod lims. Pacha is such a gorgeous club, felt so good to be back there. :D Rog was supposedly doing an 8 hour set but didn't get on the decks til 3ish :confused: , but he didn't dissapoint, absolutely brilliant!! :) Unfortunately tiredness got the better of us and we left 5ish ... really need to check Rog again, but he only does a few dates @ crappy Turnmills in London so will have to wait for Ibiza '04!! :rolleyes: :lol:

Bora Bora
Having stayed at Jet/Bossamar on every trip to Ibiza (only 5 days in jet this time) this place just feels like home :cry: :cry: ... always makes me go all tingly when I go down for the first time and see it rocking, in fact this year seemed busier than ever!! DJ Gee and Justin Tiempo are superb, the tunes they play just suit this place so much, that particular style of chunky Bora Bora house. I like the subtle refurb they've done which makes it seem a lot bigger somehow, and the extra bar is most welcome!! And the girls :eek: ... my lord I swear they get more beautiful each year!! I will never tire of Bora Bora ... and didn't see any fights there this year either which is nice. :D Oh and pick up this years CD (Bora Bora Loves Me - Loves You) if you get the chance, it rocks. And did I mention the girls?!? :eek: :eek:
(btw. I did try to spot any Spotlight peeps with a blue wristband at 5pm on Wed 27th but couldn't, it was damn busy!! who was down there :?: )

Carl Cox @ Space (Tues 26/08 )
We hadn't plan to go to this, but the free wristband we got on the beach changed all that! turns out its not actually free, you pay 10e and get a free drink, which if your on tha vodka limons is 10e anyway so its all good! :) got there about 9.30 and it was pretty empty, filled up by about 11 with the DJs (Angels of Love from Italy I think?) doing a superb job of getting the terrace rocking. The big man arrived to huge cheers about 11.30 and proceeded to tear the terrace apart for the next hour with some hugely chunky choons, superb!! :eek: moved inside for a bit but the music was a bit too hard for my liking so we didn't stick around for too long (should have stayed for Kevin Saunderson!! :rolleyes: :oops: ). spent the next few hours talking utter bollox to anyone who would listen at Ancient people :p :oops: :rolleyes: ... not bad for a free-ish night out!!

Cafe Del Mar & sunset strip
Always a beautiful & spine-tingling experience watching the sun set here, the clapping and cheers when it finally sets ... nice. 8) Really liking Savannah too, hadn't really been there before, love their terrace, and that sax fella is pretty cool. Mambo does my head in a bit, tho Pete Gooding is a wicked DJ and a top bloke.

Kasbah
This place is just brilliant, love it!! :) Went there twice, both times was pretty quiet, but just what we needed after the hecticness of the sunset strip. Really nice setting too, and the english waitresses are gorgeous and friendly. Food is superb - they claim to have the best burger on Ibiza, well I've certainly not tried them all but its one of the best I've eaten. Some superb fish specials, my friend had a swordfish dish she reckons was one of the best things she's ever eaten. Great jugs of champagne sangria too. Highly recommended for a chilled meal & a few drinks.

Pin-Up
Did anyone go to Soul Heaven on Wed 27th Aug? Did MAW actually play?!? :confused: Was planning to go along but the girl working at Ancient people told me not bother as they weren't gonna turn up!?! She said hardly any of the Soul Heaven guests had turned up this season, is that true? Anyway I didn't go, then I heard from someone else that MAW DID play!!! grrrr ... :x :evil: :evil: Went along the next night to check Sander Kleinenberg cos he's v. good ... got there about 11.30 (got in for free) and there was literally 5 people upstairs! Moved downstairs at 12 ... was on my own & bored so only stuck around til about 2, maybe about 30 people down there by then, Sander still hadn't turned up :rolleyes: ... ah well. Went again after Circo Loco following monday for Izitdance, (went to Cala D'Hort and KM5 inbetween ...) got there about 2 (and got in for free again!), was pretty rockin but damn hot so we left after a couple hours to chill at Ancient People. So am yet to see the Pin-Up terrace in action ... :confused:

Our villa in Es Cubells
In a word - stunning. Check it: 8) :D :eek:
B75a.jpg

B75b.jpg

My mate took his decks over, was wicked spinning tunes round the pool, with a view down to the ocean!! 8) 8)

K-ube
Great bar for pre-club drinks, and huge respect to the fella who works there, proper cheeky chappy & top bloke who sorted us out with club tickets every time! 8) ;) :D
Turns out the new Base bar did indeed shut down which is a shame :( ... went to the (old) Base & Rock bars couple of times and they were nowhere near as busy as previous years ...

Hed Kandi @ El Divino (Sat 30/08 )
This was just a superb night. Nicely busy without being like sardines, and some truly stunning girls in there 8) ... in fact one of the best male/female ratios i have ever seen in a club ever!! :eek: and you don't get a better setting for a club than El Divino. Lots of feel good tunes from the DJs (Tom De Neef was playing I think?), good chunky funky house. Heard a fave of mine - Some Changes by Sub Rosa, and that Fast Car bootleg!! Respect to the Hed Kandi boys for throwing a wicked party. :D

We Love... @ Space (Sun 31/08 )
Got there about 5pm and DJ Sneak was rocking the terrace with some fat funky sh1t ... wasn't too busy in there, at least not by Sundays @ Space standards, and really noticed how they've turned the volume down on tha terrace this year!! :confused: Also where we were standing we got a bit of an echo/delay between the main speakers and one up in the corner by the entrance so couldn't hear the tunes too well ... but it was good stuff from Sneak, plus he dropped that Billie Jean remix that tore the roof off! Went over to Bora Bora (rocking as ever ...) for a few beers and a bit of a boogie, then back in at 11 for the end of Rooty's set. Didn't really know what to expect from these guys, but Frank Tope & Tayo (did Felix Jaxx get on the decks earlier on?) smashed it up, played a proper party set that suited the terrace so well! :) Well impressed. They finished with Pacific State then Knights of the Jaguar ... respect. 8) I left after the terrace finished (was sober and had to drive the car back to the villa :confused: ) and my stayed mates inside, said it was wicked but they didn't know who was playing :rolleyes: ... (Justin Robertson? Steve Lawler?)

Circo Loco @ DC10 (Mon 01/09)
Oh my days this plays just blows my head off every time I go there :eek: :eek: :eek: ... absolutely brilliant. A clubbing experience unlike any other. Got there about 2pm and the terrace was about 1/2 full ... not sure who the DJ was but he was superb, he was jumping around, really enjoying himself and playing wicked bouncy, jackin stuff, got me in the mood straight away!! :eek: Tania Vulkano arrived and took things down a bit before building it up again with her kinda minimal tribal stuff, then guest DJ Pete Heller took over and he was unbelievably good, huge fat dirty tribal tunes, perfect for DC10!! And he played a wicked mash up of French Kiss and Dark Beat. Left about 8 as the terrace was getting a bit too rammed ... (didn't spend any time inside at all, bit too scary for me! :eek: ) My friends hadn't been before and weren't too sure at first, but ended up utterly loving it!! If I had to pick just one club to visit on Ibiza this would be it for sure, love it. Space, Pacha etc. are unbelievably good, but this place is just unique. The CD is superb too ... not had the nerve to watch the DVD yet!! :eek:

Cala D'Hort
This has got to be my fave spot on the island ... unbelievably beautiful, with the awesome Es Vedra right in front of you!! :eek: Went there to have a few beers at Del Carmen, watch the sunset & chill for a bit after the madness of DC10 (we did drive round to the Es Boldado restaurant as well but it looked very shut so we went to KM5 instead ...). Went down there again on our last morning, was only a few 1 or 2 people on the beach, the water was like glass, just stunning. :cry: :eek:

KM5
The place itself is absolutely stunning 8) , but we weren't particularly impressed with the restaurant. I had the fillet steak (a snip at 22e :eek: ) which was a decent chunk of good quality meat, well cooked & tasty enough but nothing amazing, on top of a rather feeble portion of potatoes and onions. Couple of my friends ordered the pasta (gnocchi i think, for 15e) which was literally 6 pieces in the middle of a huge plate, barely enough for a starter! We moved into the bar and the superb cocktails saved the day, the Dolce Banana is superb, and bloody strong!! :p Strawberry dacquiris were top notch as well. It is a gorgeous place, well worth a visit for a drink. Very easy to fall asleep on those sofas, especially after a few days caning it!! But for food, overpriced, small portions, tasty but certainly nothing special.

The weather!!!
It p1issed down and was windy & cloudy for 3 whole days ... and cos of the dodgy weather our charter of the Sunseeker 48 got cancelled!!! (http://www.ibiza-spotlight.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=97591&highlight=#97591) We were gutted. :( :evil: :(

Underwater @ Pacha (Tues 02/09)
Was well looking forward to this as my fave DJs in the whole wide world (the mighty X-PRESS 2 8) ) were playing ... Mark Woolford did a wicked job of getting the place rocking, this fella is a top DJ/producer, check him out! Then X-Press 2 arrived ... and they didn't disappoint!! Started off slow then gradually built it up, like a bloody great juggernaut gathering momentum, until before you know it your locked into the groove, getting hammered senseless by the monstrous beats. :eek: :eek: Mad samples, noises & accapellas all over the place thanks to their six deck assault. Holy crap these fellas rock!! :twisted: :twisted: And they played Deee Lite - Groove is in the heart!! The way they seamlessly blended this in to their set was genius ... the whole place erupted!! :D (in case you hadn't guessed i like X-Press 2 a bit ... and Ashley Beedle, if you happen to be reading this, v. sorry for me & my friend hassling you after you guys had finished, we were a bit the worse for wear!! :oops: ) Darren Emerson came on after and played a bit hard for my liking, tho he did drop that Donna Summer remix, which I remember him playing here last year! Proper crowd pleaser that one. Pacha was only about half full all night which was a bit strange, and shame the roof terrace was shut cos of the rain. But apart from that, absolutely wicked night. 8) Nearly went straight to Space after this ... but didn't. Instead we got the cab ride from hell back to tha villa from 2 dodgy argentinian fellas ... :eek: :confused: :lol:

Bambuddha Grove
Almost missed our reservation, drove past the place cos the sign wasn't lit up (grrr!! :evil: ). As with KM5, absolutely beatiful place :eek: :) , even more so in fact. We thought the food was a lot better too, and more reasonably priced. The sea bass, tuna, and duck were all very good. But my mates green chicken curry was nothing special, he said his local thai takeaway tasted much better! I get the impression that maybe people are so blown away with how nice these places look they tend to not notice how ordinary the food can be?!? :confused: But still well worth a visit to see the place and have a meal, but drive slow so you don't miss the turn off!! We didn't stick around at the bar for a drink so dunno what the cocktails are like.

Curry houses
Tandoori Nites in Playa D'en Bossa (opp. Space) is superb, delicious, proper curries, not much of your standard korma/madras/vindaloo stuff here!! The girl from London who runs the place is a great laugh, well chatty and friendly. Well recommended!! :p
Curry Club in San An was a pleasant surprise, pretty standard curry dishes but very tasty, good size portions. The place looks damn nice too, could almost be at Bambuddha were you not in the middle of San An. :)

Things we had planned to do this year but didn't in the end:
- Renaissance @ Pure Pacha @ Pacha (Fri 05/09) - was our last night and didn't really feel up to cramming in to Pacha like sardines ... bloody wish we'd gone now though!! :(
- Underground - we did actually pull up outside last Thurs and it looked very shut so we drove on ... doesn't open til 12 I guess? and apparently sasha was there that night as well?!? arse!! :x
- Salinas - planning to spend a day there but the weather put paid to that!! next year then ... had a quick wander along our last morning, looks v. nice. 8) (apart from too many naked middle-aged germans!! :eek: )
- El Destino restaurant in San Jose - heard good things about this place, should really have made the effort seeing as we were staying nearby ... :rolleyes:
- Soul Heaven @ Pin-Up :confused:
- Tonic and Manumission Carry On's @ Space - not been to either of these yet ...
- The boat day ... - see above under weather!!

Roll on Ibiza '04!! :) :) :p :arrow: :arrow:

Alicia said:
That villa really does look stunning how much did you pay for it ?

It cost us £1800 for the week, so £213 each for 8 of us ... not bad!!

Bit far away from everything, so had to do a lot of driving :confused: ... was worth it though!! :)

swiss taff said:
Nice one Marcus.... sounds like you all had a great time...roll on 2004 for you ;)

Thanks ST ... can't wait to get back there!! :cry: :lol:

Enjoy your 2nd trip out there ... grrr!! :twisted:

:p

great review marcus! that sunday session with rooty sounds wicked. i saw them last year and they really tore the place up. bit like danny rampling this year - played really mixed bag of tunes which so suited the terrace. nice one!

Rooty were fantastic, highlight of my holiday this year. The place went ballistic when they played the Phil Kieren remix of Inner City's Big Fun.

Top review Marcus, thanks for naming that closing tune from space, I've been searching for it since I got back ;)

re pin up

got the flyer for this that said maw were playing 9-12, so we headed along early from bora bora at about 9pm - when we got there the bouncers looked at us as if our hair was on fire and asked us why we were so early - showed him the flyer and he said they wouldn't be coming on until about 11 or 12

decided to go in anyway seeing as we'd already walked there and have a few drinks, we were the FIRST ones in!!!!!!!!!!!!! spoke to the bar man who said that MAW would be on at 12 as they weren't allowed to have the music as loud as they wanted it on the terrace.....

the music was really sh1t on the terrace pure girlie house so we left and went to the wee bar next door for some cheap drinks.

headed back in at about 12 to see MAW who were not bad, but think by that time the nite was kinda ruined from sitting about listening to shit music all nite

would have been good if we had went straight there

ah well, we learn from our mistakes!!!

Wow! Nice review and amazing villa!!

Ah! I read Soul Heaven cancelled their party at Pin Up in August. It seems they didn't fill up the place at all. Well...I'm not sure of it but I was staying near Pin Up and it seemed dead and quiet on Wednesday evening-night.

Apparently the only party they filled up the terrace with when I was on the island was IzitDance on Mondays. Great party BTW. Don't have to be missed.

the terrace was pretty quiet, but it was rammed down the stairs - its not relaly that big tho.

marcusg said:
Bora Bora
And the girls :eek: ... my lord I swear they get more beautiful each year!!

ibiza_dancepose_popup.jpg
<---
eyebrows_125.gif

marcusg said:
Cafe Del Mar & sunset strip
Really liking Savannah too, hadn't really been there before,
love their terrace, and that sax fella is pretty cool

he is called florencio cruz!! :idea:

Florencio%20Cruz.jpg

marcusg said:
Cala D'Hort
This has got to be my fave spot on the island ... unbelievably beautiful,
with the awesome Es Vedra right in front of you!! :eek:

gal4.jpg
<---
639.gif

marcusg said:
Bambuddha Grove
I get the impression that maybe people are so blown away with how nice
these places look they tend to not notice how ordinary the food can be?!?
:confused:

no comments needed!! ;)

marcusg said:
Things we had planned to do this year but didn't in the end:
- Salinas - had a quick wander along our last morning, looks v. nice. 8)
(apart from too many naked middle-aged germans!! :eek: )

:lol: :lol: :lol:

pict0000.jpg

marcusg said:
... but it was good stuff from Sneak, plus he dropped that Billie Jean remix that tore the roof off! :

Yeah I was there you're dead right. Does anyone know what mix is was likely to be?

If it's been around a while it's either by nigel clarke (cheesy) or the monsta by Bushwacka..... Meant to be a bootleg but it's got approved by the record company written all over it!

goodtimes said:
Yeah I was there you're dead right. Does anyone know what mix is was likely to be?

It was the Bushwaka! remix, I'm sure it was the last tune the resident dropped before Sneak came on.

Yup was the Bushwacka remix ... :eek:

btw. mate thanks for pointing out the Phil Kieran remix of Big Fun, that tune is huuuuge, the bassline is just filth!! :eek: :twisted:

marcusg said:
Pacha was only about half full all night which was a bit strange, and shame the roof terrace was shut cos of the rain.

must have been like this the whole season.

i went in july and it was half empty and i went in september and it was half empty.

will underwater be in ibiza in 2004?? who knows?

marcusg said:
btw. mate thanks for pointing out the Phil Kieran remix of Big Fun, that tune is huuuuge, the bassline is just filth!! :eek: :twisted:

Yup it's flippin mental! Did you see they place go off when they dropped it? :eek:

Yup we were chilling at the bar, heard it drop and legged it round the back of the terrace to the raised balcony bit to see the place explode!! :D :eek:

Real shame about Underwater, hope they don't sink!! ( :oops: sorry ... i'll get me coat)

They bring in some superb DJs, including my faves X-Press 2 8) , tho I've never been a huge fan of Darren Emerson ... :confused:

Back