Ibiza next week

20_years_acid_house

I'm flying out next week and yes I'm excited :lol:. However I'm also quite apprehensive about a few things. As we all know the authorities are clamping down more and more with each visit. I never went to Space opening this year, but I understand that within a kilometer of Space there was a good chance you would get stopped and searched by police and that included taxis getting pulled and passengers told to get out and searched. I'm not saying that I'm carrying anything and worried about that, but getting a suprise body search would for me spoil my mood and kill the atmosphere "en route" to the party. I went to We Love opening and didnt see anything like that, but I didnt read about what happened at Space opening until I got home. Did it really happen or was it just rubbish? Could it happen for Space closing?

The new times for opening and closing this year have not bothered me really, but this visible police presence is spoiling it a bit for me :(

Like I say I am excited, but it seems one must keep ones wits about them more than ever. Is it just me or does anyone else have this restrictive feel about them like never before??

... I understand that within a kilometer of Space there was a good chance you would get stopped
and searched by police and that included taxis getting pulled
and passengers told to get out and searched.
I'm not saying that I'm carrying anything and worried about that,
but getting a suprise body search would for me spoil my mood
and kill the atmosphere "en route" to the party ...
Is it just me or does anyone else have this restrictive feel
about them like never before??

"...
Humiliating Experience

I began clubbing in the early 90s and have been to more than my share of legendary nights over the years. Nowadays I don't hit the dance floor anywhere near as much as I used to, although I still enjoy the occasional foray into clubland.
A bit about myself: I am a consumer journalist in my mid-thirties, based in London and with an apartment in Ibiza. As well as the music, for me the great thing about clubbing on the White Isle is the eclectic mix of nationalities, ages and styles, all coming together under one roof to have one hell of a party.

Rocking up to a popular Ibizan club one Sunday in late August with my husband and a friend, who, as a wedding anniversary treat paid EUR180 (EUR60 each) entrance for the three of us as we hadn't had time to secure guest-list places, I then stepped up to the female security guard and offered her my bag to search as usual.

And then something happened that really took me by surprise - ignoring my bag, she went straight onto giving me the most thorough and quite frankly humiliating body search I have ever experienced in 17 years of clubbing. I am not going to say where she touched me but will instead leave it to your imagination. This was made all the more violating due to the fabric of the T-shirt dress I was wearing and she actually managed to get her fingers down my underwear. I don't know what the search laws are in Spain, but if this had happened in the UK I could have had her for assault.

Obviously I have no problem with security measures and people doing their job, but this thorough frisking was completely unnecessary. I am not quite sure what her motif was, although I did notice other women coming in who were subjected to similar treatment. If she was looking for drugs or weapons she didn't do a very good job as she hardly looked in my bag. In contrast, the men were casually patted down and let through within seconds - in fact my husband had a camera on him which is a no-no at this particular club, and he got it into the club (as did my female friend).

I could have refused the search, but you can bet that I would have then been refused entry. I could also have complained - apparently there's a complaint book somewhere inside the club - but the staff, who mostly speak very little English (when it suits them) would probably have no idea where it was kept.

The staff here have never been the happiest of campers and the more money the club seems to make, the moodier they seem to get. From the woman at the cash till and the person that collects two euros off clubbers for looking after their confiscated cameras (another blatant money-making scheme when you consider that most people nowadays have phones with cameras which don't get confiscated!), to the security and the bar staff, it's as though they resent everyone that walks through the door, despite the fact that they are paying their wages. At one point during the night I was washing my hands in the toilets and a male security guard marched in and demanded that we all leave and stop 'hanging around'.

This is 2008, supposedly the Second Summer of Love. It would be so refreshing if certain establishments would just chill out a bit and show their customers some respect, especially when most of them spend a lot of their hard-earned money to be there.

With regards the door personnel, many club's reputations hinge on this first point of contact, and if the staff are moody, miserable, aggressive and unprofessional, people will start to vote with their feet and go elsewhere, in fact I know a few people who have similar feelings to me regarding the attitude of the Ibizan superclubs.
Anon
..."
(ibiza-sun)

i see space closing party kicks off at Noon .....Nice .;) :(

Mate very nice indeed and with the car park a big dance zone for the e day it's gonna be special.. By the way, you know more about DJ's than me mate.. From the lineup what (if any) dj's would you expect/hope might play an old skool set? DJ Pierre played an old skool set at we love opening but I only read about it after on here. I must have been somewhere else at the time. :spank:

"...
Humiliating Experience

I began clubbing in the early 90s and have been to more than my share of legendary nights over the years. Nowadays I don't hit the dance floor anywhere near as much as I used to, although I still enjoy the occasional foray into clubland.
A bit about myself: I am a consumer journalist in my mid-thirties, based in London and with an apartment in Ibiza. As well as the music, for me the great thing about clubbing on the White Isle is the eclectic mix of nationalities, ages and styles, all coming together under one roof to have one hell of a party.

Rocking up to a popular Ibizan club one Sunday in late August with my husband and a friend, who, as a wedding anniversary treat paid EUR180 (EUR60 each) entrance for the three of us as we hadn't had time to secure guest-list places, I then stepped up to the female security guard and offered her my bag to search as usual.

And then something happened that really took me by surprise - ignoring my bag, she went straight onto giving me the most thorough and quite frankly humiliating body search I have ever experienced in 17 years of clubbing. I am not going to say where she touched me but will instead leave it to your imagination. This was made all the more violating due to the fabric of the T-shirt dress I was wearing and she actually managed to get her fingers down my underwear. I don't know what the search laws are in Spain, but if this had happened in the UK I could have had her for assault.

Obviously I have no problem with security measures and people doing their job, but this thorough frisking was completely unnecessary. I am not quite sure what her motif was, although I did notice other women coming in who were subjected to similar treatment. If she was looking for drugs or weapons she didn't do a very good job as she hardly looked in my bag. In contrast, the men were casually patted down and let through within seconds - in fact my husband had a camera on him which is a no-no at this particular club, and he got it into the club (as did my female friend).

I could have refused the search, but you can bet that I would have then been refused entry. I could also have complained - apparently there's a complaint book somewhere inside the club - but the staff, who mostly speak very little English (when it suits them) would probably have no idea where it was kept.

The staff here have never been the happiest of campers and the more money the club seems to make, the moodier they seem to get. From the woman at the cash till and the person that collects two euros off clubbers for looking after their confiscated cameras (another blatant money-making scheme when you consider that most people nowadays have phones with cameras which don't get confiscated!), to the security and the bar staff, it's as though they resent everyone that walks through the door, despite the fact that they are paying their wages. At one point during the night I was washing my hands in the toilets and a male security guard marched in and demanded that we all leave and stop 'hanging around'.

This is 2008, supposedly the Second Summer of Love. It would be so refreshing if certain establishments would just chill out a bit and show their customers some respect, especially when most of them spend a lot of their hard-earned money to be there.

With regards the door personnel, many club's reputations hinge on this first point of contact, and if the staff are moody, miserable, aggressive and unprofessional, people will start to vote with their feet and go elsewhere, in fact I know a few people who have similar feelings to me regarding the attitude of the Ibizan superclubs.
Anon
..."
(ibiza-sun)

Anon,
That is horrendus.. My gf didnt have any problems earlier this year, but it is shocking that this happened to you. I will warn her off for next week and see what happens. I will let you know.. Shockaroonie :eek:

Mate very nice indeed and with the car park a big dance zone for the e day it's gonna be special.. By the way, you know more about DJ's than me mate.. From the lineup what (if any) dj's would you expect/hope might play an old skool set? DJ Pierre played an old skool set at we love opening but I only read about it after on here. I must have been somewhere else at the time. :spank:

naw sure about an old skool set that day matey .....
but if i was going i would make Dubfire my top priority
for me this summers best Dj , seen him at T and at Subliminal and he immense!!!
productions are not to shabby either .... ;)

sorry for being a daft arse here .....Dubfire aint listed for Space closing, im talking about Amnesia closing :oops: :lol:

Dubfire playing MOS next month

Back