Ibiza Motorway

Higgo

Not been to Ibiza since 2006 after being a regular visitor so I'm interested to know what effect the new motorway has had on the island and its residents.Is it just a blot on the landscape or does it offer any benefits?

It isn't a motorway by British standards more like a wide 'A' road. Despite all the whingeing and whining from people who only spend a couple of weeks a year here about how it has ruined the soul of the island I personally think that it is brilliant that Ibiza is now rushing headlong into the 19th century when it comes to transport links. The biggest benefit for me personally is that I can get from Santa Euallia to the airport in around twenty minutes.

Who knows? One day we might be able to get a ferry from here to the mainland which costs less than a return ticket to Australia!! Park a car in Ibiza town or even, and I know that this is a long shot; walk out of a nightclub in the early hours and find a queue of legal taxis waiting to take us home! :)

It isn't a motorway by British standards more like a wide 'A' road. Despite all the whingeing and whining from people who only spend a couple of weeks a year here about how it has ruined the soul of the island I personally think that it is brilliant that Ibiza is now rushing headlong into the 19th century when it comes to transport links. The biggest benefit for me personally is that I can get from Santa Euallia to the airport in around twenty minutes.

Who knows? One day we might be able to get a ferry from here to the mainland which costs less than a return ticket to Australia!! Park a car in Ibiza town or even, and I know that this is a long shot; walk out of a nightclub in the early hours and find a queue of legal taxis waiting to take us home! :)

hahaha.. well said!

Despite all the whingeing and whining from people who only spend a couple of weeks a year here about how it has ruined the soul of the island I personally think that it is brilliant that Ibiza is now rushing headlong into the 19th century when it comes to transport links.
I was not quite one of these people, but I was worried about how a 4 to 6 lane highway would work on a mostly rural little island.

That was, until the time in '07 when I made it from Playa den Bossa to Pacha in about 5 minutes. 8) And leaving for the airport less than an hour before your flight is nice too.

The roundabout at Jesus is a bit of a mess though.

Tell me, island residents - has the relocation of traffic from towns like San Rafael and San Jordi helped create a little more local atmosphere?

safety improvements outside amnesia and improving airport access could all have been done without entering into large scale transit systems for a tiny island.

ridiculous roundabouts that actually make the road more dangerous and folly constructions like "stella mountain" at the jesus junction, only serve to show that this road construction represents the most appalling corruption of governance, arguably in Ibiza's history.

many people got rich off the motorway construction, mainly the friends and supporters of the PP who came up with this brilliant idea. i think the fact they paid for this decision at the ballot box, votes by people who live here, says everything.

... Despite all the whingeing and whining from people who only spend
a couple of weeks a year here about how it has ruined the soul of the island ...
"...
CasperSlides
..."

... The biggest benefit for me personally is
that I can get from Santa Euallia to the airport in around twenty minutes ...
"around twenty minutes" - that is amazing -
how often per day you have to "get from Santa Euallia to the airport" ?

"...
CasperSlides
..."

"around twenty minutes" - that is amazing -
how often per day you have to "get from Santa Euallia to the airport" ?

What's the problem icebaer69 got out of the bed on the wrong side? So I spend a few months in France each year does that strip me of the right to any opinions about an island which I spend 9 months of the year living, working and paying taxes on?

I'll admit that I maybe do the airport trip only 12 to 15 times a year, maybe not often in your opinion but it is in illustration that it is now faster to get from one side of the island to the other. Which I believe answers the original question.

"...
Autor: Ibicenco
1 - Comentario enviado el día 04-06-2009 a las 10:16:27

Y arrasaron la isla con una autopista asegurandonos que iba a mejorar la seguridad del tráfico. Vergüenza, es una vergüenza. Deberían de prohibir las listas del Partido Popular en las Islas Baleares (como mínimo). Por mentirosos, ladrones, estafadores, engañadores, malversadores. El partido popular nunca, pero nunca ha mirado por el bien de los cuidadanos. Son personas corruptas que utilizan la política para enriquecerse. Solo por eso, deberían estar prohibidas sus listas.
..."
(http://www.diariodeibiza.es/seccion...-autovia-Sant-Antoni&pCom=5#EnlaceComentarios)

safety improvements outside amnesia and improving airport access could all have been done without entering into large scale transit systems for a tiny island.

ridiculous roundabouts that actually make the road more dangerous and folly constructions like "stella mountain" at the jesus junction, only serve to show that this road construction represents the most appalling corruption of governance, arguably in Ibiza's history.

many people got rich off the motorway construction, mainly the friends and supporters of the PP who came up with this brilliant idea. i think the fact they paid for this decision at the ballot box, votes by people who live here, says everything.

you're the man...totally agree...

some poor bloke died when his bike came off one of the ridiculous roundabouts the other day. why are they ridiculous? because the camber is the wrong way round which increases centrifugal force, and the island is too big in proportion to the traffic lanes. the fire brigade have criticised this every time they are called out to a large truck which has fallen over going round them.

some poor bloke died when his bike came off one of the ridiculous roundabouts the other day. why are they ridiculous? because the camber is the wrong way round which increases centrifugal force, and the island is too big in proportion to the traffic lanes. the fire brigade have criticised this every time they are called out to a large truck which has fallen over going round them.

Didnt them employ someone to calculate the camber as they do here? My ex's Dad's job was working for the Roads Engineering Department and calculating the camber for all roads being built in the UK - seems an integral part of road safety :confused:

They have gone roundabout mad here (costa Blanca), they're everywhere !! And dont get me started on wether the Spanish know how to use them :spank:

Most have negative cambers also :rolleyes:

I read somewhere the other day that cars in the outside lane always have priority in Spain, so even if turning left on a roundabout, you shouldn't really go into the inside lane of the roundabout, as you would in the UK.

Is this true?

there is great debate about this all over google.es but the correct way seems to be
rotonda.jpg

which is how i remember it in britain (but obviously on the left and not the right) though someone (spanish) tried to tell me the other day that the inside lane on a roundabout was for 'overtaking'

So I guess you won't see much of this on the Ibiza roundabouts (they're fun with no cars around):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wEysuBQ4f4

Back