ibiza gossip 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
amnesia have taken off DNS and pyramid closing parties (originally planned for 10 and 12 october) from their website.

amnesia closing party on 23 october is currently still on and might go ahead if it gets green lights. currently no tickets can be bought for this one though as quite a lot of people have already bought tickets and it's unsure what capacity the club will be allowed to open with - plus don't forget about all the gold tickets that had been sold too.

as usual...we'll update if anything changes.

Wait and see. Not only because Amnesia closing ...

Not at all, and you know I love that as much as the next person here. Above, I said relevant with the dance music industry.

If genuinely Ibiza can get everything it needs from the 2021 model - i.e. enough income for the locals, and wants a more sustainable model based on over 50s and their kids in the Jockey Club, and 100 people in Pikes listening to records - then everyone has to accept that - and so be it.

But life is a conveyor belt... If you don't attract the kids+ 20 somethings, then they don't turn into 50 year olds with their kids who will come to the island in 30 years time.

I am really not trying to be argumentative here, just making a point on how I see things at the moment.
I agree, that is why killing off the west end could backfire completely in the long term. Where is the entry level for 18 year olds on a budget? They will go to Kavos...

If you don't attract the kids+ 20 somethings, then they don't turn into 50 year olds with their kids who will come to the island in 30 years time.

but surely the nu-clubber/middle aged middle classes nowadays find out about the organic, posh restaurant dj gigs by reading Times and Guardian Saturday pullouts, not by going through some San An initiation ceremony before discovering the real island nightlife, a view that is long out of date imo. You're right of course in that mass saturation Ibiza is fickle and many diehards may well disappear but the daytime shift was already pre-2020 changing things anyway, not just in IBZ but everywhere. so the island doesn't become irrelevant, it just offers something different. and for those of us old farts who like bar gigs, a win-win.

As far back as 2014 I remember a couple of bar staff in Plastik telling us that Ocean Beach and Ushuaia and similar had had a massive detrimental effect on the West End and surroundings. The daytime shift was indeed underway as far back as then.

Anyone know if we are going to get any further changes this week? Normally we get an update every Monday from the government. Didnt hear of anything so far?

Anyone know if we are going to get any further changes this week? Normally we get an update every Monday from the government. Didnt hear of anything so far?
From our government or Ibiza? I am hoping on some news from Ibiza this week, that dancing might be allowed in a controlled space....

Yes exactly would be amazing! I was talking about any steps before that, like later opening past 2a.m. or maybe capacity increases etc. They seem to be doing something every week.

Yes exactly would be amazing! I was talking about any steps before that, like later opening past 2a.m. or maybe capacity increases etc. They seem to be doing something every week.
i mean if they give the green light for dancing i couldnt see why the wouldn't lift the closing at 2 am , but i guess i might be looking at it from a prespective of how things went here in Italy

but surely the nu-clubber/middle aged middle classes nowadays find out about the organic, posh restaurant dj gigs by reading Times and Guardian Saturday pullouts, not by going through some San An initiation ceremony before discovering the real island nightlife, a view that is long out of date imo. You're right of course in that mass saturation Ibiza is fickle and many diehards may well disappear but the daytime shift was already pre-2020 changing things anyway, not just in IBZ but everywhere. so the island doesn't become irrelevant, it just offers something different. and for those of us old farts who like bar gigs, a win-win.
I think we are jumping to some extreme potential conclusions. If the Ibizan authorities really want to change the target tourist market it will take a lot of time and money to create the infrastructure to enable this. At present, the island simply doesn’t have the a big enough range of alternative options to cover for the young people that come for clubbing and cheap pub crawls. So I think it will transition over time.

If they are looking at families, older people, heritage, sight seeing and water sport tourists, they need to create the infrastructure for that. while some of it is there, what is required to replace clubbing infrastructure is largely not in place to the scale required. It will take decades to create. There is also a lot of competition for these markets elsewhere in the Med.

I am interested to see to what extent the clubs and authorities collaborate to deliver more of an offer aligned to this year at Ushuaia and Cova Santa. It will also be interesting to see what night life returns - will all the mass market bars and big clubs actually be operational after the last two years? I still think that there are big financial fall outs to come due to the impact of Covid. But I can see this being an ideal opportunity to shut down the likes of the west end and announce plans to replace it, change opening and closing times, put further restrictions in place over how venues are used, etc.

The idea that you need to go to Ibiza at 18 to want to return at 50 is fanciful, tastes and wants change with age and circumstances.

Last edited:
As far back as 2014 I remember a couple of bar staff in Plastik telling us that Ocean Beach and Ushuaia and similar had had a massive detrimental effect on the West End and surroundings. The daytime shift was indeed underway as far back as then.
Exactly. And exactly what they want. More controlled, nicer environment, busy earlier and requires less people to generate a profit and tax benefit than the spit and sawdust west end offering. But it’s going to take time, at least a generation to change the market.

I agree, that is why killing off the west end could backfire completely in the long term. Where is the entry level for 18 year olds on a budget? They will go to Kavos...
I suspect the only 18 years olds that they want are the wealthy ones or those coming over with families. Looking at Ibizan media, and the views of a large number of residents (probably those whose lives don’t depend on it), entry level 18 year olds on a budget are exactly what the authorities do not want. Buy it isn’t without risk - there is an abundance of locations across the world offering the OBC crowd option, and a better range of family, sight seeing and gastronomic options,amongst other things.

I think most 18-21 year olds now are going to Croatia for Hideout or similar than Ibiza. A lot think / know that Ibiza is very expensive so already seeing some shift

I'm mid-thirties and I love the daytime stuff, much rather start mid-afternoon, then have the option to going on to bars or a club later (or a kebab and bed), rather than wait around and not start my night til around midnight, not getting home until sunrise and completely throwing off my next day

I think most 18-21 year olds now are going to Croatia for Hideout or similar than Ibiza. A lot think / know that Ibiza is very expensive so already seeing some shift
I think most 18-21 year olds are going to locations that don’t involve any techno or house music at all. It just isn’t as big as it used to be. But that Croat market is definitely where the competition is for Ibiza clubbers. So are multiple outdoor festivals across Europe and the World. The weekly offering from clubs is where I think Ibiza will struggle going forward. We have seen a similar impact in the U.K., just without the sunshine!

I think most 18-21 year olds are going to locations that don’t involve any techno or house music at all. It just isn’t as big as it used to be. But that Croat market is definitely where the competition is for Ibiza clubber.
I disagree completely. It (or at least the commercial product of which) is bigger than it's ever been. Look at the charts. Look at festival line-ups. It's all dance music. Even the big R&B and hip-hop stars are using dance producers

I disagree completely. It (or at least the commercial product of which) is bigger than it's ever been. Look at the charts. Look at festival line-ups. It's all dance music. Even the big R&B and hip-hop stars are using dance producers

I’m not referring to the commercial product at all.
I’m not referring to the commercial product at all.

edit - no idea what I have done to your post that I was quoting, apologies.

put it another way, what else are the 18 years old listening to? okay, Grime to an extent. Rock? nah. Reggaeton is massive in Spanish speaking countries. but everything else is electronic

I haven't done the maths, but i think we must now be at the stage where dance music has eclipsed the run of R&B/rap in the early 2000s

put it another way, what else are the 18 years old listening to? okay, Grime to an extent. Rock? nah. Reggaeton is massive in Spanish speaking countries. but everything else is electronic
I’m talking about relatively underground techno and house music. Not chart music. Most people are not into underground or relatively underground music and it’s always been that way.

I’m talking about relatively underground techno and house music. Not chart music.
okay. but tell me another scene in any of the major cities in the world which has a bigger pull right now than house and techno. or even close

USA - EDM
UK & Ireland - more underground but still electronic
Germany - electronic
Australia - electronic
South America - electronic
Asia - electronic

and then the emerging market in Africa. There's honestly no music movement close in any of the major markets

Anyway...

I apologise, because this is not really Ibiza gossip *smacks hand*

okay. but tell me another scene in any of the major cities in the world which has a bigger pull right now than house and techno. or even close
I’m not sure where this debate is going, or the point you are making.

If you think the house and techno scene around Europe is bigger now than it was 10-20 years ago, I entirely disagree. And Ibiza is facing competition for this market from Croatia and other locations worldwide that provide an offering over a more condensed time period.

You answered your own question in the last post. RnB, reggaeton commercial edm (not underground or even approaching underground music, ie Cocoon) are much bigger across the west.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back