*** ibiza gossip 2019 ***

I saw the announcement from Pacha introducing Nick Mcabe as the new ceo and had a look at his background. Seeing his history at Hakkasan I really don’t expect much in terms of music quality in the future at Pacha unfortunately.
VIP culture continues...

I saw the announcement from Pacha introducing Nick Mcabe as the new ceo and had a look at his background. Seeing his history at Hakkasan I really don’t expect much in terms of music quality in the future at Pacha unfortunately.
Return of fergie to ibiza in his edm guise maybe

I suggest we probably all wait until we see Pacha's weekly line-ups this season before we judge their music quality! Reading between the lines and the previous posts in this thread, it doesn't look like they are going full-on EDM at all.... maybe quite the opposite?

Calvin Harris then to replace David guetta?

He'd never do a full on weekly residency in Ibiza when he has Vegas residency - and not sure anyone in Ibiza could pay his fee for a 20 week season! He never really tours much anyway - doesn't need to anymore. I think last year he did 3 Pacha dates - and that was basically during his holidays haha.

in an interview harris said that he doesn't really enjoy gigs and djing anymore, he prefers producing in the studio. can't see him doing 20 weeks.

Indeed, Hakkasan sucks badly

Pacha has always been VIP. Place is more VIP than Hi imo

I understand it's all opinions but I couldn't agree less.

I understand that Pacha has been more of a VIP club in years gone past and perhaps we can have this debate properly when we see the full programming from both, but personally, I would say that in the current state of affairs, Pacha is a far less VIP club than Hï.

I understand they have a large VIP area, but if you actually attend an 'underground' event (Solomun or Cocoon during 2018) the atmosphere and crowd within the club couldn't be less VIP.

My limited experience and the feedback I'm hearing from others is that the complete opposite can be said of Hï - regardless of the event the venue is very flat and naturally caters more for a VIP crowd.

I understand it's all opinions but I couldn't agree less.

I understand that Pacha has been more of a VIP club in years gone past and perhaps we can have this debate properly when we see the full programming from both, but personally, I would say that in the current state of affairs, Pacha is a far less VIP club than Hï.

I understand they have a large VIP area, but if you actually attend an 'underground' event (Solomun or Cocoon during 2018) the atmosphere and crowd within the club couldn't be less VIP.

My limited experience and the feedback I'm hearing from others is that the complete opposite can be said of Hï - regardless of the event the venue is very flat and naturally caters more for a VIP crowd.

Yeah I’ve been to both. The crowd for Solomun is definitely heavy VIP, kind of hard not to be when there is more VIP real estate than dance floor. Not a bad crowd though considering. Hi crowd seems less clued up, but at least they have adequate dance floor space. I just don’t see much of a difference between the two.

Last edited:
I suggest we probably all wait until we see Pacha's weekly line-ups this season before we judge their music quality! Reading between the lines and the previous posts in this thread, it doesn't look like they are going full-on EDM at all.... maybe quite the opposite?

He'd never do a full on weekly residency in Ibiza when he has Vegas residency - and not sure anyone in Ibiza could pay his fee for a 20 week season! He never really tours much anyway - doesn't need to anymore. I think last year he did 3 Pacha dates - and that was basically during his holidays haha.

Exactly that, Calvin used his mini season in Ibiza as a holiday. Dont think he has ant interest in doing a full season. I also think all the EDM guys have reined their schedules in a bit since the tragic death of Avicii.

What night is Dixon rumoured to be doi g at pacha?
Surely they would replace guetta with a similar sound to keep their week balanced?

Yeah I’ve been to both. The crowd for Solomun is definitely heavy VIP, kind of hard not to be when there is more VIP real estate than dance floor. Not a bad crowd though considering. Hi crowd seems less clued up, but at least they have adequate dance floor space. I just don’t see much of a difference between the two.
Two years ago Solomun was the hottest ticket on the island outside of edm nights. There was a heavy vip presence because of his popularity. But on the dance floor he had the ability to create a full on rave atmosphere. That was the perfect pacha vibe. That was lacking last year. He’s on the decline. It happens to all djs.

As for hi, it’s built for vip and edm. It is what it is. Losing prydz will hit them hard in terms of mid range credibility. Afterlife will continue because hi pay well for nights that attract a lot of people and it did last year. Atmosphere and vibe isn’t important if you bring the people in and the club pay well, credibility can come later. It’s all about now. You Tou are the nu Solomun in a different setting. But it won’t last forever and they will eventually move to pacha and be replaced in the main room by the next new thing.

That’s just how ibiza works. Very few djs endure for decades. They have a shelf life. And even those that endure are packaged off the popular scene - Harvey to pikes where he’s no longer wanted because he’s not nu fashionable anymore, Sasha and pvd to the backroom of privi, Oakie to nowhere, Cox to selected gigs, etc. Nothing lasts forever. In ibiza terms you are only as good as your last season. And now we see club developed fashions, ie solardo. Ibiza is becoming an inbred industry that is self genereted for short term gain.

Last edited by a moderator:
For all the flack Hi gets about being VIP, Pacha's dancefloor takes up more VIP space relatively and it's really cumbersome in packed nights. At least, at Hi I can move around freely.

About ToU, I really question how popular they are without all the supporting acts they have on their nights. Solomun only needs one other DJ on his nights which speaks volumes, but Pacha is also a smaller space.

Is Solomun really on the decline though? I found 2017 to be kinda slow'ish on some of his nights but this year was busier...maybe because presale and regualr ticket prices were cheaper overall? 2017 I think it went up to 71 EUR in July which was mental.

Good post @LuckyBlueSuit . I think what you describe in terms of DJs only being as good as their last season, can be applied to many other aspects in life too.. Ibiza is representative of someone's current popularity and clout in the scene on a more exaggerated level because of all the competition. Hot Since 82 for example has most likely lost his night, because he's no longer in fashion, and might be "relagated" to supporting acts at other venues but lets see.

Back