Ibiza clubbers Questionnaire

RaverFlaver

I'm currently doing some research on Ibiza and I'd love it if you could help me out and answer even just a few of these questions. Your help would be really appreciated.
Thanks so much

Main Questions

1. In Ibiza, what is your favourite dance music event and why?

2. In Ibiza, which clubs or dance venues do you understand to be underground and which do you understand to be mainstream?

3. What three things for you are most important for a good clubbing experience?

4. What do you most appreciate about the club culture in Ibiza (as opposed to club culture at home)?

Further Questions

1. For Ibiza veterans – What do you see to be the primary differences between the island today and the island ten years ago, with regards to:
a. the aims of the club promoters and event organisers?
b. reasons for visiting Ibiza?
c. the clubbing experience?

2. Many youth subcultures that centred on music in the last several decades, notably punk and the acid house movement, have now been and gone. Do you feel that Ibizan club culture is destined for a similar fate? And if so, how long is there left?

3. Please give any further details/opinions on your views on the value of Ibiza today as cultural centre for electronic dance music
a. Has it been too subverted by the mainstream to retain any real musical value?
b. What does the future hold for Ibiza’s club culture (especially with regard to the tightening of governmental laws in recent years)?

ibiza deserve so much more than your questionnaire ... ibiza is indescriptible,ibiza is magical,ibiza e l'unico lugar per hacer la fiesta sul esta tierra ;-)

some of the questions are quite loaded...but i'll answer and let you have my response.

interestingly enough, i did a uni dissertation on youth subcultures centred around dance music culture.

the one point i have to pick you up on tho, is about acid house movement having been and gone. you're wrong, it's still going on, it's just that today's dance music scene has evolved so far and so wide since then that people forget it.

when people go to ibiza for the first time and experience club culture or whether they have their first clubbing night out in england or wherever, they experience almost exactly the same feeling acid house era revellers did 20 years ago.

i spoke to tens of people who'd visited ibiza for the first time this summer and the way they described how they felt to be involved in clubbing for the first time was almost identical to mine from years ago and with how danny rampling put it when i asked him about it again this summer http://www.ibiza-spotlight.com/night/reviews_i.htm

good luck with your project, it'd be good to see some of your final work.

1. In Ibiza, what is your favourite dance music event and why?

Cocoon @ Amnesia definitely. Because they put on the best DJs in Europe and beyond, who play the latest and best house and techno tunes. The atmosphere is amazing and no-one gives a f*** about who you are or what you are wearing- it's all about the music.

2. In Ibiza, which clubs or dance venues do you understand to be underground and which do you understand to be mainstream?

The clubs in Ibiza that I class as underground are DC10 and Underground. These places don't get advertised on billboards and you don't get flyers handed to you on every street corner. People learn about them via word of mouth, Internet, magazines etc.
Mainstream clubs I would definitely say Eden and Pacha largely down to the way they are marketed and they do attract a certain clientele. But you could say that about all the big clubs in Ibiza!

3. What three things for you are most important for a good clubbing experience?

The 3 most important things to me are the records the DJ is playing, the crowd and the sound system, Even if the DJ is playing the most amazing set you ever heard- it means nothing if the sound system is sh1t. Most of the big clubs have the now standard Funktion 1 sound systems installed and Privilege has the most powerful in my opinion. I prefer Martin Audio setups but Iv'e yet to find one in Ibiza. Lastly the crowd is what makes the night- I don't want to be in a club alongside a crowd who aren't up for it.

4. What do you most appreciate about the club culture in Ibiza (as opposed to club culture at home)?

Back home you go clubbing with people from your local area. When you go to Ibiza you are in a venue with people from all over the world. Every nationality, sexuality- the music brings people together. I think that's awesome.

Another thing is the choice you have. You can take your pick from 7 or so different events every night. You'd be lucky to find that in a month back home. Be it pre-parties, thousands of people across the clubs every night, beach parties etc- there's always something going on.

When your in Ibiza and your interested in club culture it really does feel that you are at the epicenter of music.

2. Many youth subcultures that centred on music in the last several decades, notably punk and the acid house movement, have now been and gone. Do you feel that Ibizan club culture is destined for a similar fate? And if so, how long is there left?

Not really, because there isn't any real rival to Ibiza is there? The DJ's still want to play there and people are still going despite the changes. The Island has always been a hot spot for hedonism long before the Acid House movement started. Don't forget Acid House culture started in Ibiza. Trends come and go but Ibiza is going to be there long after were gone. It was only a few years ago everyone was raving about the Minimal Techno scene over there and look what happened to that. There will always be a new sound for people to get excited about every few years.

3. Please give any further details/opinions on your views on the value of Ibiza today as cultural centre for electronic dance music
a. Has it been too subverted by the mainstream to retain any real musical value?

No not at all in my opinion. The tunes that get played in the summer become hits worldwide in the winter and get played everywhere. I think musically things have never been better in Ibiza. There is so much of a choice now. You can even listen to D n B and Indie now which even a few years ago so was unheard of. Now Ibiza is attractive to people who previously thought the club scene over there was just about Trance and House.

b. What does the future hold for Ibiza’s club culture (especially with regard to the tightening of governmental laws in recent years)?

Well the Afterhours are gone so you no longer have the choice of going out during the day which is a good reason for some things, but it is nice to be able to! DC10's future is uncertain and El Divino is being demolished and turned into a Health Spa. The biggest ones- Space and Pacha will always be there on the Island.

Last edited by a moderator:
1, Favorite event changes every time I go. Last year I enjoyed Manumisson Closing. Year before Cream closing. Not done Cocoon yet but will next year and sure that will be a fave

2, Underground clubs/events DC10, Underground and Zoo Project.
Mainstream crown goes to Clubland. 'God help us!!!'

3, Crowd (atmosphere), Dj and Music

4, Friendly atmosphere

Forgot about Clubland - you can't get anymore mainstream that that! :lol:

I remember the most enthusiastic PR trying to convince us to go to Clubland. We pointed out that Scooter were on the flyer and we rather rip our own ears off. Was then funny listening to him try and convince us Scooter would not be playing. They will try anything hey!! :lol:

I remember the most enthusiastic PR trying to convince us to go to Clubland. We pointed out that Scooter were on the flyer and we rather rip our own ears off. Was then funny listening to him try and convince us Scooter would not be playing. They will try anything hey!! :lol:

Hahaha I couldn't listen to that noise all night.

Speaking of Scooter, he was round my way recently...

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/s...r-do-runner-from-glasgow-club-86908-20939964/

Cheap b*stards! :lol:

Back