Ibiza and houses in winter...

my october leccy bill was €730, based on a meter reading and containing a price increase back dated to 2011.

2 months. no idea why but some people get a bill every 2 months based on the meter reading and some get a bill every month - one actual and one estimated. my most recent bill was only €310 - the lowest this year.

2 months. no idea why but some people get a bill every 2 months based on the meter reading and some get a bill every month - one actual and one estimated. my most recent bill was only €310 - the lowest this year.

Insane, is that for heating your pool?

Wondering if we should do away with our Christmas lights.

Ground source is more efficient in colder climates but due to installation cost`s and the fact we rarely see 0c, It is not necessary here :)
I was bricklaying on a job in England a few years back. Another gang was there putting in all the pipework for the ground sorce heating. They installed it in the neighbouring field. It wouldn't have fitted in the garden of the house we were building. There was loads of it and a lot of trenches.
Good luck to anyone that is going to dig down about a metre on this rocky island.

i'm sure this system will be easily adapted to draw heat from the house to keep the ground toasty warm.

Surely a change in the technology like that would allow a switched on restaurant-er to be able to take heat from his busy restaurant during peak winter periods and pipe it under his terrace or garden, thus providing a warm place for smokers to take a puff in between courses (could be a biz idea/money spinner)

Ahh Another Ibiza peculiarity and something to watch for :spank: Unlike UK we do not get a "Decent" mains supply as standard, In UK you will get a minimum of 60amp, More usually 80amp incoming supply, Here it is not unusual to only get 15amp in apartments and older buildings, (Even my 15 yr old 3 bed vila only has 40amp) Just to make it a little more fun you should also have an "ICP" installed (looks like a normal breaker but the switch is yellow) This is a breaker that will switch of the power if you go over you supply`s rating, Until recently it was VERY difficult to "go up" on your supply, I believe due to infrastructure and generation limits but as new lines and generators are going in, I hear it is getting easier,,,,, Slowly,,,,,,, Very Slowly :)

To quote Kylie 'I should be so lucky, lucky,lucky,lucky'. I have an all powerful 10 amps, not enough to run a laptop. So in typical Ibiza fashion I have a 32amp mcb installed with the 32 scraped off, checked the cable rating etc and all is ok. I did recieve some hate male from Endesa re the ICP but have ignored it. I think that means paying a higher rate for leccy but less hassle than red tape when you don't live there full time.

Ta for the Mooring info :)

No probs, I know of several others that never paid anything including some Ibi's. Just moor up and don't worry about it.
Just in case it helps, when I first got my boat it came with a free summer in the Marina which was nice, if you want this option the best way to do it is join Club Nautica in Santa Eulalia, they have subsidised moorings for members.

my october leccy bill was €730, based on a meter reading and containing a price increase back dated to 2011.

My bill. was also high in October. I think they were on a mission to collect euros.

good grief Stephen are you lighting a whole village? those electric bills seem a tad steep, to say the least!!!

we've also had some "funny" electricity bills during the past few months...all estimations. we've now changed the billing system (did you know you can choose?), which means they actually come and check your meter (i think every two months?) and then you get a realistic bill for what you've actually consumed.

Have taken note of our meter reading early this morning and will check again tomorrow, hopefully shedding light on how much we use in a typical day. All the stories of multi-hundred euro electric bills PER MONTH are quite scary!

I reckon the local Electricity company has been instructed by the local council to apply an extra charge to the expat a/c's for all their moaning :lol:

you should write a blog of your ibiza adventures. there's a shortage of ibiza blogs these days.

If you are concerned about your elecy usage, I would recommend getting an energy monitor, I have one of these http://www.diykyoto.com/uk/aboutus/ (Watson) (There`s a lot cheaper on the market now, I have had that a few years to loan to customers) It`s surprising how much you will save when you can see what your usage is,, If you have kids it`s also surprising how much extra you will nag them HaHaHa :lol:

Have a good one
Tim

If you are concerned about your elecy usage, I would recommend getting an energy monitor, I have one of these http://www.diykyoto.com/uk/aboutus/ (Watson) (There`s a lot cheaper on the market now, I have had that a few years to loan to customers) It`s surprising how much you will save when you can see what your usage is,, If you have kids it`s also surprising how much extra you will nag them HaHaHa :lol:

Have a good one
Tim

Thanks Tim, looks just the ticket, will certainly be getting one of those (love an excuse for a new gadget) :) Love the name Wattson & the software called Holmes:lol:

We have used 6 kilowatts in 24 hours, as per my meter readings. Looking on the net, I found a price of €0.1977 per kwh, adding on iva and a bit, lets make it €0.30 per kwh that is €1.80, say €2.00 per day and we used some heating and de-hum yesterday, never going to be equal to the bills the landlord says he is receiving on our behalf!

rough rule of thumb calc based on my last bill 937 kw = €309

1 kw =€0.32

your monthly bill will be 6*30*0.32 =€ 58

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Tim, looks just the ticket, will certainly be getting one of those (love an excuse for a new gadget) :) Love the name Wattson & the software called Holmes:lol:

It`s a bit battered and you may have to put some batteries in it but you can borrow mine if you want ?
(To add, You can get cheaper versions, Search "wireless energy monitor" on Ebay, they start at about £30 inc delivery, A few of the UK energy companies give them away)

We have used 6 kilowatts in 24 hours, as per my meter readings. Looking on the net, I found a price of €0.1977 per kwh, adding on iva and a bit, lets make it €0.30 per kwh that is €1.80, say €2.00 per day and we used some heating and de-hum yesterday, never going to be equal to the bills the landlord says he is receiving on our behalf!

About 31c per KWH is what it actually works out to with IVA etc if you are paying Gesa direct, A landlord will normally charge more as he is allowed to recoup the costs of meter reading/maintenance etc, In UK there is a maximum set price for "resale" as it`s called, Here,,,,, if there is, probably not worth the paper it is written on, But may be worth asking him for price he is charging and a breakdown of bill, just make him think :)

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Tim, but realised there is no wire that I could attach the device to, the fuse box is built into the wall :( Furthermore, I must have misread yesterday, we have in fact used 64kwh in two days, yikes!

but realised there is no wire that I could attach the device to, the fuse box is built into the wall
Hmmm ? The sensor clamps over the incoming mains inside the fuse box ? I have never had a site I could not install it ? (sometimes not pretty but still safe)

32KWH a day !!! ???? I think there is something wrong there,

Tim

Back