Ibiza and houses in winter...

If I arrive mid winter, the house is like a fridge, it takes around 4 days ( and 4 bottles of gas) with the heating on to get the walls and furniture warmed up. On top of that I have a large fireplace that's lit up straight away as well as a couple of electric heaters.
I have found that once the walls and furniture are warm it's not so bad. Then I use the central heating as background heating on low ( 2 bottles of gas a week) and the fire as the main source of heat. Also found electric blankets are one of the best buys around!

Hi

We are looking at getting a solar heater/dehumidifier.....it pumps around 140 cubic feet per minute and increases the external air temp by approx 15 degrees C in average sunlight. Left running all winter it would keep the damp out and keep the rooms warm during the day......

http://dunsterhouse.co.uk/solar-heating/compact-standard-solar-air-heater-and-dehumidifier-mk2

Hope this helps

Hi

It would be good to know how you get on if you do get one, it could be good if you can leave it on all winter as you say, keeping the air dry as well as some background heat in the house. I have seen other versions of this that work by convection but I like the idea of a solar powered fan.

Hi

We are looking at getting a solar heater/dehumidifier.....it pumps around 140 cubic feet per minute etc etc

Be a little careful with the "Claims" made in the advertising :spank: eg, They say Winter solar radiation in southern Spain is around 1600w/M2, In reality it is rare to see 600w/M2 in winter and 1000w/M2 in Summer !!!, Bit of BS going on there :rolleyes:

Tim

To add, one of the best/cheapest ways to deal with the damp is using a normal dehumidifier with an external drain, Most of them have this facility, The "norm" is to place it on the draining board by sink and let it drain into sink, Set it at about 60% RH and leave it on all winter, Alternatively you can extend the drain pipe (gravity only, so downhill)

Last edited by a moderator:
Has this been a mild/ dry winter as averages go?

Wifey had her hair done the other day, the girl said it had been exceptionally mild/ dry this February in particular! Frightening thought if this is true, will have to get to mo-inlaw knitting some thick woolly jumpers for next year. Visited someone down south (Sa Caleta) a couple of weeks ago, they had oil powered central heating, was in tears when we had to leave :)

as far as i can tell definitely yes! it's only gotten really cold three days ago.

It is remarkable how the temp changes so much from near 20 in the daytime (well almost :) ) to near freezing overnight. Noticed my first 'opening' of the year last week as the "Titanic" bar in Siesta opened their doors after being closed for a couple of months... :)

Yeah it definitely seems quite mild this year compared to winters on the mainland!!! The owner of the Red Lion here says he stocked up on fire wood ready for this winter and hasn't used any hardly!!!! Darn cold these last few days tho!!

surrey is freezing, I am back on the Island at Easter, can you make sure it's nice and toasty by then please

surrey is freezing, I am back on the Island at Easter, can you make sure it's nice and toasty by then please

We are back to UK at Easter..Was on the island at Easter last year, the weather was glorious. Has been nicely warmer the past few days. Hopefully our weekly war on the mould is nearing an end.... My suggestion to the kids they try out the swimming pool was met with frosty stares at the weekend :)

edit: electric bills seems to be averaging €180 per month, hopefully we can shave some off that over summer..

Shame we will miss you, was going to offer you that beer whlist my missus interrogated you about living there. We are on the island until the 12th in case your about.Have you tried the public pool with the kids on a Saturday, they have a big inflatable thing they chuck in and its all free, they even lend you a cap if you haven't got one. Very friendly but different rules to the Uk.My electricity bills have been running at 50euros a month roughly, seemed odd as I only left 2 fridges and a lamp on a timer running, last time I was there in Jan I switched the lot off, wonder what my bill will be this month.

Shame we will miss you, was going to offer you that beer whlist my missus interrogated you about living there. We are on the island until the 12th in case your about.Have you tried the public pool with the kids on a Saturday, they have a big inflatable thing they chuck in and its all free, they even lend you a cap if you haven't got one. Very friendly but different rules to the Uk.My electricity bills have been running at 50euros a month roughly, seemed odd as I only left 2 fridges and a lamp on a timer running, last time I was there in Jan I switched the lot off, wonder what my bill will be this month.

That will be interesting to see what your bills are with everything turned off! We are back on the 5th so plenty of time for meeting up. Six months on and we honestly cannot believe how well it has all gone (touch wood), deffo on for a catch up.

tried sending a pm 3 times re meeting up but not sure if it got through, let me know if you get it.

Still waiting for my leccy bill, will post when it does turn up.

Took the bold move of putting the gas fire into the storage cupboard for the foreseeable future, hopefully we are not tempting fate :)

After the first winter, we will be better prepared next time around, a few days of April sunshine and the cold winter nights are forgotten in an instant.

you shouldn't need it for at least 8 months, but never forget the huge advantages of the electric blanket when the time comes. hehe.

It's fair to say I think we were right royally shafted on electricity bills in our previous dwelling! The past four months in our new place has cost less than a single month in the previous place. I repeatedly asked to see electricity bills from the last property...The best I got was a blurred image sent over whatsapp, more fool me! We live and learn. A warning to anyone who has never seen a bill from their landlord, insist on seeing the bloody thing, chances are you are getting ripped off if you are not seeing the bills.

This winter has been totally different, instead of living in fear of the cold winter nights, we lit our log burner and lived the whole winter warm as toast. Nothing can beat the heat and sounds of logs burning on a cold winters' night :)

Back