Ibiza 2009 for me - 25/07/09 - 01/08/09

mixeriom

Well, first time back in Ibiza for a couple of years (4th time in total) and it has changed so much!!

The place seemed tense, less happy-go-lucky and it somewhat effected my mood on the first couple of days. Didn't take long to get back into the swing of it though!!

Flew with Easyjet from Liverpool about 10.30pm the Saturday night. Got to say it was a spot on flight. Ahead of schedule, and was a good buzz on it despite running out of every spirit except Bacardi....eughhh devil juice.

Arrived about 1.30am, and jumped straight into a taxi to the Mar y Playa apartments in Figueretes. First time staying on the east coast, and would without a doubt be staying there again! Loved the apartments, and the location.

One mistake a did make was going for an early morning wander around though! Got approached by 3 hookers within 30 mins of arriving. Who apparently all had "very nice rooms" ... :eek:

First Day, Sunday.

Was hoping to do We Love at Space, but my mates who have more techno/trance musical tastes outnumbered me 2 to 1 so we got tickets for JS at Eden. Ended up in the west end about 11pm getting our lifes worth of vodka redbull. Also was convinced by my mates to try out the old party smarties for the first time (been clubbing for a few years, always had a great time without). They were kicking like a mule by the time we walked to Eden at 12.30!

Eden was as expected. Commercial and over-rated. Did hear a few good tunes but mostly it was the same old repetitve s**t and got bored very fast. Didn't like some of the posers in there, one of which took advantage of my less than sober state and swapped me a fag for my expensive shades. Not one of my finest moments. I still needed a lighter anyway..

Don't remember anything else except leaving as I was too gone (drink + drugs). For the record I think they were love hearts and would not reccommend anyone take them again lol. I hated the experience personally and will never be dabbling again! The pictures didn't look good (for those looking to take cameras in Eden - never been searched going in there ever)

Monday

Felt strangely ok even after a mentally heavy night in San An. I was the first to surface around 11am. Hit the pool, and then the beach which was one of the best I've been to on the Island. PDB was a bit too crowded but figueretas beach was perfect.

Went into Ibiza town only a 20 min walk along the road, and got a bite to eat and got us all tickets for Tiesto. Now personally I prefer my house and electro music (very into Miami style..) but growing up with Tiesto's name everywhere I relished the chance to see him live in Privelege too.

We had drinks in the apartment until 12 then headed to Tiesto. On arrival we only had to wait 10 mins to be front of the Q, though stupid me chanced my camera only to be shoved back in the direction of the shop. Those guys search pretty heavily so if your looking to take a camera I wouldn't bother.

Warm up act was average trance type music. Nothing special really everyone was just finding a good spot. We found ours right in the centre of the main floor near to the mini DJ booth. Tiesto came on with an amazing build up, lights, shadows, cannons etc. Was fantastic and when he came on the place erupted. Everyone was loving it and I had a really good time. Wasn't so packed that you couldn't move either. He only played a few belting tunes the rest were merely good. But I would say it's a good night to go to if you like that kind of thing. Left when it got boring (much earlier than i would've liked) around 3.30am. Taxi back to Fig. Quick wave to the hookers on the way past.

Teusday

Still managing to drag myself up before 11am!! Quite proud as i'm in my early twenties now and have considerably less energy than my first time in Ibiza in 2006. Hit the beach and wandered down past Bora Bora (someone else branded it boring-boring, I would agree totally). Didn't even stop for a drink it was dead in the evening.

Tickets for Armin Van Buuren were acquired and we headed back to get some pre-club drinks at home. Decided to stay sober for this one as it was my mates most anticipated night..

Got to Amnesia around 1am. Not much of a queue and luckily got my camera in too. Nobody was getting a full search but there were random pat downs. There was a warm up DJ playing, and I have to say he was one of the BEST warm up DJ's I've ever heard!!! Young guy with dark hair but he was getting me in the mood from the second i walked in. Would love to know who he was? Anyhow, Armin came on about 2am and instantly set the tempo. Was very much a shape throwing contest with way too much hands in the air but I loved the atmosphere to be quite honest. I went there to enjoy myself and I did. Not letting anybody else ruin my night not even the elbow brigade lol!! Italians. Though. gr. I have NOTHING against italians but in clubs WHY do they all believe they own the floor???? Everytime. lol. Anyway, the music was world class only heard a few I knew but the rest I wish i did!! Amazing DJ, great guy actually too, one of the best nights I've had. Left very happy around 3.30am (still earlier than I'd like but my mates can't hack it grr. I'm a till the end man myself).

Wednesday

R&R day!!! Got up at some silly hour of the afternoon and hit Ibiza town. We went for a wander up D'alt Villa, surprised how fast I forgot my way around..lol. We decided to test our remaining energy levels and see who could run all the way to the top of the STEEP hill with the steps (south side). I made it to the top regrettably. One of the lads had to stop 2 from the top, other was 5-10mins behind walking slow lol. Would reccommend taking a hat. The sun does evil things to you at the top of there, ended up having to sit in the shade for 15 mins at the top of as one of my mates almost passed out!! Not good but it's one of those never forget moments.

Anyway we headed back home then went for a walk to PDB. Music was playing at Bora Bora so we sat in there for a drink. After 10 mins I decided the music was actually pretty damn good! And alone (mates too shy) headed into the dance area for a mid-afternoon party. The music was fantastic. Balearic house with some mega bass. I dragged my mates in and we danced around Bora bora for well over 90 mins. Hot, sunny, very sweaty, but the best beach bar I've been to. So ignore my previous comment about Bora bora. If you go at the right time, it is still a great venue. We all ran down to the beach and had a swim to cool off then headed home for the night. Bora bora? Might be no more table dancing allowed but I'll be back there again without a doubt.

Thursday

Ok the usual during the day so we wont go into that. My mates wanted to see Ferry Corsten at Cream so we all got tickets for that. At this point I had given up insisting on my nights as I could tell they just did not get the house side of Ibiza yet and just wanted a good old fashioned brit-rave to music you can buy in Tesco for a tenner. Still I am a fan of some of the DJs playing cream so I didn't complain.

We headed to amnesia around 1am (favourite club in Ibiza by the way, just love the place). Again, camera came with me. I got patted down and he felt my camera. I did possibly THE most stupid thing in my life. He did not ask what it was but my mouth blurted out "camera...." DOH. Off to the booth I go lol.

Got in and the place was empty!! Though again, the warm up DJ was having a ball and with no more than 50 people in the place I thought sod it, I'm back in Ibiza and just started dancing my ass off to some deadmau5 (favourite dj in the world). Up on the back podium by 1.30am, and there I stayed until 4.30am!! The music was as expected, but it was tune after tune and I loved it more than I thought! Ferry corsten went on for WAY too long though and to be honest I got fed up lol. Still, IBIZA, so I kept dancing and smiling. Met some great people that night as my friends all went home to bed at 3.30 lol. Ibiza is what you make it and i was there to make it my best time yet. Would reccommend cream if you like your big commercial hits and electro house (feels wrong calling this type of music house... so I shall cease lol!!)

Friday (already) :( :(

Early rise, determined to get some good food and energy for our last club night. We were on a budget so didn't get to check out many nice places to eat at all really. I ended up cooking for us all most nights lol, and I hate cooking.

Got ourselves tickets to Wonderland at Eden. This I did not want to miss despite all the other great nights I had missed out on. Deadmau5, my number 1 DJ to be honest. He is hit and miss, love or hate, but I can't get enough of his music!

We hit the west end and got dragged into London Bar for some cheap drinks (actually pretty good in there)! Nice PR girls too...

Eden at 12.30ish, as I wanted to be there for the build up. Place was heaving, I have never seen it so packed!! Live on radio1 for the essential mix too. We found a spot facing the small dj booth at the side, ready for deadmau5 (we couldn't move anyway we were glued to the spot by a smattering of what appeared to be goldie-looking chain wannabe's on all sides. BLING. Still, I remind myself i'm in Ibiza, it's my night !!

Deadmau5 came on just after 2pm I think, I lost track of time all night!! He played the most amazing DJ set I have ever witnessed. Whenever he hit it, the place went insane, more so than any crowd reaction I have witnessed anywhere. I have been to many nights in Ibiza and like his music or not this Canadian had the place by the b**ls !!! Surreal actually!! It was a pity it was so packed though because everybody turned into human waterfalls by 2.30am and my best shirt became a £40 towel. Not that it helped much. THIS was my Ibiza and my all time greatest ibiza memory forever. Deadmau5 at Eden, would have never thought it!!!

Luciano followed the Mau5 up with another cracking set, and the highlight was definately Lumidee - never leave you followed shortly after my La Mezcla (?). Both great tunes but by this time what I'm told were called 'Mercedes' lol had taken hold despite me battling my desire to try them. DO NOT agree with drugs but I'd never experimented and you're only young once. Those things made my legs want to go all night and so they did. 5am hit and we decided we should really go as we had to be out at 12 midday of the room. Great night and my first Ibiza visit of no real house nights.

Now, the downside of pills I discovered was sitting in my nice apartment room on my own at 8am, after decided i needed a shower, was not being able to sleep and still wanting to rave :S didn't want to but my brain was telling my legs I had to lol. We all discovered pictures the next day that should never be spoken of again and were deleted after we had all stopped crying with laughter.

Didn't end up sleeping and had to pack around 11am. Spent the whole of saturday by the pool and in the hotel bar until 11pm when we headed to the airport for a 2am flight home :(
----------
Wish I'd have checked out the terraces more in the clubs as I've always found them to be good. Also, still never been to space despite the music there being what I like best!! Reallllly missed out and can't wait to go again.

Overall, some great nights of clubbing but it took me 2 days to recover from the 60 hours of no sleep travelling lol.

Still love Ibiza as much as the first time, and it has not lost it's appeal you just have to stop moaning and go find it for yourself. I did and will be back as soon as I can for round 5.

Long review but it's all still fresh in my head!

... We went for a wander up D'alt Villa, surprised how fast I forgot my way around..lol.
We decided to test our remaining energy levels
and see who could run all the way to the top of the STEEP
hill with the steps (south side).
I made it to the top regrettably.
One of the lads had to stop 2 from the top,
other was 5-10mins behind walking slow lol.
Would reccommend taking a hat.
The sun does evil things to you at the top of there,
ended up having to sit in the shade for 15 mins at the top of
as one of my mates almost passed out!!
Not good but it's one of those never forget moments.
omg - you must be nuts :lol:

Yeah would definately recommend the Mar Y Playa Apts. Not a bad price for that point in the season, think we paid around £1200 between 3. Big rooms, no limited hot water lol thank god, and a nice big fridge/freezer. Worktop cooker too, did the trick. Also the staff are very helpful.

Everything you need nearby although there are about 7 supermarkets within 2-3 blocks!!! So much choice lol.

My favourite purchase of the holiday, several bottles of "Limon y Nada" in white bottles. The tastiest lemon juice in the world, don't think i stopped drinking vodka limon all holiday because of that stuff. Wish I could have packed a couple of bottles lol!

Left when it got boring (much earlier than i would've liked) around 3.30am.

Left very happy around 3.30am

Wednesday

R&R day!!!

I stayed until 4.30am!!

took me 2 days to recover from the 60 hours of no sleep travelling lol.

Haha! May as well not bothered going out! Could of saved yourself a lot of money!

Anyway we headed back home then went for a walk to PDB. Music was playing at Bora Bora so we sat in there for a drink. After 10 mins I decided the music was actually pretty damn good! And alone (mates too shy) headed into the dance area for a mid-afternoon party. The music was fantastic. Balearic house with some mega bass. I dragged my mates in and we danced around Bora bora for well over 90 mins. Hot, sunny, very sweaty, but the best beach bar I've been to. So ignore my previous comment about Bora bora. If you go at the right time, it is still a great venue. We all ran down to the beach and had a swim to cool off then headed home for the night. Bora bora? Might be no more table dancing allowed but I'll be back there again without a doubt

Nice to read a postive review of Bora Bora 8)

hey you where there the same time as myself, funny how two people can have completley different views on the same club :lol: i loved judgement sunday was one of my favourite nights, stayed there til the end, the monday we went to our fave spot, koppas, really love that place, after we went down and sat by the beach, some funny things went on down there, great place just to meet people and have a chat, tuesday we went to the worst place in the world dont know why we even went, i wouldn't even step in one back home, Clubland, people never ever ever go, just awful lol, don't know if i would go at the same time of year again extremely hot, or maybe it was our apartments stayed in Central Park Apts, tidy but to nosy, no air con, just fans and not even enough to go around each room, we managed to blow the fuse on the floor, thats prob why we where so hot lol.

Re not going out lol I know what you mean I was not impressed at spending so much for a couple of hours a night. I let my mates off because I don't think they really appreciated the no sleep, party on thing.. lol. Virgins. Pah :spank: :lol:

Clubland... one of my mates is a clubland-head. I told him if he went he should remove my telephone number from his mobile. Ugh. The very thought of it lol!!!

Come with us next time starry will make sure it's a goodun. Hope u enjoyed yourself over there mate :)

Thanks!! :D

best thing ever, just checked both my mates facebook profiles (was their first time..) and both saying along the lines of "Want to go back to Ibiza, might go for closing parties". Another 2 addicts methinks. My work here is done haha.

Now back to dancing around the room like a madman. Sad but true :cry: I spent all my money in Ibiza and can't afford to go out this weekend. 2 weeks until payday!!!!!!! Gr. :spank:

There was a warm up DJ playing, and I have to say he was one of the BEST warm up DJ's I've ever heard!!! Young guy with dark hair but he was getting me in the mood from the second i walked in. Would love to know who he was?

Had a look at the party calender from when you were there and it looks like it was Glenn Morrison.

Nice review, you had the opposite problem from me. I always want to go to the trance nights but get dragged to techno and house by my mates :lol:

Back