I wana be a dj!!

M

Mis_Behavin

Hiya everyone,
I was just wunderin wever there are any Djs in here. Cuz its something i really want to get into. Im gona start a college course learning how to do it. If anyone has any tips on djing or heres of any decent decks and mixers goin cheap please let me know.
When i went to ibiza last year i had a holiday romance wiv a dj and helped him a bit. Would love to be able to go back next year and maybe dj in some of the bar clubs. Thanx!! xxxx
loadz of luvvin, Mis_behavin xxxxxxxxxx ;)

I've been playing the deck for years, if I was you I would expect a long learning curve as there's more to it than just being able to match up two beats together, there's just so much to do which makes it more fun.

There are certain places with courses which will most probably accelerate your learning span, one I will recommend is in Manchester which isn't too far for you to get to. Their website is www.s-s-r.com/

On the equipment side you'll be best off with some direct drive turntables (get two, just one can make mixing tricky! ) :lol: Don't bother with belt drives, because you'll wish you didn't get them. There's plenty of equipment suppliers who can either sell you a whole package or just part of it. Go to www.dj-mag.com and go to the links and choose 'equipment' for a list of retailers and manufacturers.

Good luck and I'll look forward to getting a mix in the post when you're up and running. ;)

i bought my bf decks for xmas, and i think for a starter set it cost about £250.00, he's been practising since xmas, and he's starting to get the hang of it but like gecko said its a long learning curve. Good luck girly, it always impresses me to see the girls dj! ;)
i'll look out for ya next year!

Forgive me for the long post but I love djing, and helping people who are interested in it. I have been spinning for a few years, and I still feel as though I know next to nothing. It takes a very long time to get the basics of mixing, but after you do that, the fun really begins. I have a few words of advice for you based on what I have seen and experienced. First of all like Gecko has said, the direct drive decks are essential, do not even bother with belt drives. I am not sure how much they cost in pounds but I have seen great "starter kits" here in the US and I actually started out with one of them. Basically you will have everything you need to begin mixing right away after you purchase a kit and they are usually cheaper than buying everything stand alone. In terms of the mixer, I would suggest that look for kits that do not feature a mixer with a BPM counter if you are spinning any type of dance music. First of all BPM counters are unreliable and you may become too accustomed to using it to mix instead of your own ears. Listen carefully to other djs and watch what they do, in that way you will learn alot. Good luck, and keep at it, you may be famous one day.

Agree with everything said so far...DJing is FAR from easy. I've been spinning for two years and only now feel comfortable about playing out. Though your learning curve depends on the amount of time spent practicing and musical ability (yeah you should have some).

As far as equipment, I'd say splurge on really good decks and headphones (you can find used Technics online, easily) and save on everything else. The decks are crucial and will last you from 5 to 10 years, mixers you can upgrade as you go along (I started out with a cheapie Stanton, and just graduated to Allen & Heath).

Also, start out by getting the technical part (at least the basics) to a science. Then you can learn about programming your sets, about the dynamics of tracks you play, the energy of people you play for etc. Just remember that perfect beat-matching is not a great DJ make, but if you don't have that part figured out, you can't even call yourself a DJ. Good luck

good advice, all. I agree on the "good equipment" part. Technics are the standard- anywhere from 300-500 American.

Hey Chase- you're from DC? I've got a good friend in the club scene up there. Went to Nation once and met Saeed & Palash and James Brennan there. What clubs/lounges are good now that a lot of the bigger ones have closed down? I think I went to "Up" in December. It's downtown on the 2nd floor of one of the buildings...

I'm down in Raleigh- your boy Scott Henry is coming down here next week.

www.recess.co.uk has some good advice on there for beginners... also check out www.djforum.com to meet other beginners and some old hands..

Totally agree about getting 2nd hand technics - you'll be able to learn a lot faster on good decks!

Best of luck - and beware - DJing will take over your life!!

Thanx 4 all the tips and advice you;ve all been very helpful. Il definitly visit the websites and hope to get set up as soon as possible!!
Cheers, have fun, loadz of luvvin Mis_behavin xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi there
I am a girl who has been djing for about 8 yrs now
first bit of advice, enjoy yourself while learning.
It might get to you at first when you can't do it properly, just enjoy the music your playing and stick with it.
There are lots of things to learn when starting out, I have taught a few friends myself i usually start with
1. Beat mixing- this is the basic skill and i'm sure they will teach you this first on the course, get your cue-ing up technique perfected first ( when you start the record off ). Get into the habit of counting beats, 4 by 4 is your regular house beat and is easiest to learn. Depending on how much you practice depends on how quick you can do it and perfect it until you can get to the stage of mixing, watching tv and having a conversation at the same time ( eventually after a long time it all happens in the subconsious )
2. Finding musical patterns and bass lines - You will find certain musical patterns and basslines go well with some songs than others and matching the right ones you will give you a better mix,
3. Tricks - using the crossfader and volume sliders to add a little extra to the mix, you should start to learn this sort of thing after you perfect beat mixing as otherwise it will only complicate things.
4. EQ - using the bass mid and treble while mixing can even out the mix so it is more smooth and sounds better. Also u can try blowing your speakers up by turning the treble up to the max while playing higher state of consiousness.
5. Playing to people - Once you have learned all that or even some of that, the hardest thing is playing out. Judging the atmosphere and creating the correct vibe for the night is THE most important thing in DJing. From playing the right records to putting them in the right order . If you know a club well then it makes it easier because you know the style of things. If i'm playing somewhere i don't know then I have a look and see what sort of people and music are there.
Getting work is difficult when you are starting out, get to know the right people, its not what u know, its who you know. Start somewhere small and if people like you then your on your way.

Most important thing is to buy plenty of records and enjoy yourself, I have loved Djing whether i have been on my own with friends or in a club.

just get some decks and start buying the music your interested in. the rest will follow if u have a passion for the music.

GECKO 2:

do u work for DJ? do u know ben edwards?

hasta
Tom

Tom Leeds said:
just get some decks and start buying the music your interested in. the rest will follow if u have a passion for the music.

GECKO 2:

do u work for DJ? do u know ben edwards?

hasta
Tom

I own www.dj-mag.com which is an independent site.

Ben Edwards arrived in Ibiza over the weekend to start work on the first of the three DJmag Ibiza supplements :D

Missy AJ said:
Ben Edwards arrived in Ibiza over the weekend to start work on the first of the three DJmag Ibiza supplements :D

yeah he's a friend of mine! met him last year in ibiza thru mates and turns out he leaves with friends of mine who live in london who worked in ibiza 2 yrs ago. tis a small world!!!

no wonder he hasn't replied to my e-mail.
he was meant to come review our night in leeds (www.spinleeds.com)

i'll catch him over there.

miss AJ: CD is in post!

laters
Tom

I will say that (maybe I'm a bit of a Technics fan :lol: ) but the Tecknics 1210 direct drives. these are expensive and I think they do start about £1600 a pair, but their worth it, my mate who own's own mobile djing stuff swears by them.

Back