I need you help...!!

7 Aug - 21 Aug

I need your help...!!

Hi everyone
A little background first I suppose – My name is Sharon and I’m 23 I’ve been to Ibiza twice and am due to go back in August for two weeks (as my name says).
But recently in work we have been offered an opportunity to apply for a three year career break with pay of third of your salary (paid quarterly), it’s the only time it’s going to be offered so I would love to take the chance. So I was thinking I could move to Ibiza for the 3 years or even 1 and move on from there but the problem is ill have to go from the 1st of September (or later if they delay it for work reasons) and as it’ll be getting into winter over there so will there be much job opportunities available or is it totally the wrong time to go? I don’t have college education or that is there jobs that id be able to get?
I don’t know the language but am willing to learn but wouldn’t know much before I get there would this be a problem? Is it had to find somewhere to live when you are on your own? What’s the best area to look?
How much money would I need till I get on my feet cause don’t have to long to save and the salary id be getting will be to pay off loans that I have here.

Hope ye can help
Sharon

Last edited by a moderator:
Before you think of giving up a good job in the UK to come here there are a few things that you should be aware of.

1) Unless you are Spanish it is unlikely that you will get work that isn't seasonal tourist stuff; working in bars or restaurants etc... even if your Spanish is fluent. Unemployment for Spanish nationals on the island is high and no mainstream Spanish company is about to give a job to anybody in front of a local.

2) The pay is generally pretty poor, the hours are long and you are unlikely to have anything saved come the end of the summer. If you do then it will quickly disappear once the work dries up.

3) There is unlikely to be any work during the winter months as the majority of bars and restaurants close up in October and don't re-open until May and without work and/or money you will find the winters here long and dull. In the summer when all the tourists are here the island is party, party, party. Once the season is over it's about as exciting as Surbiton on a cold wet Sunday afternoon.

4) Like the rest of the world Ibiza is going through a recession of its own at the moment, nobody knows what this season will be like but every business that I know of is predicting a downturn in takings and have adjusted their staffing accordingly. I am taking on half the staff that I was using last year and most businesses on this side of the island seem to be doing the same.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm pouring cold water on your plans but you did ask.

you will find the winters here long and dull. In the summer when all the tourists are here the island is party, party, party. Once the season is over it's about as exciting as Surbiton on a cold wet Sunday afternoon. [/FONT][/COLOR]

wow! i don't think i could disagree more if you held a gun to my head.

i'm looking forward to the season yes, but give it a month and i'll be praying for the pleasures of october to april again.

With your ability for selective quoting; the Labour spin doctors should be head hunting you Grego.

Did you not read the "without work and/or money " prefix to that sentence or did you just choose to ignore it?

With your ability for selective quoting; the Labour spin doctors should be head hunting you Grego.

Did you not read the "without work and/or money " prefix to that sentence or did you just choose to ignore it?

ha! ok, i'll just pick the next sentence, which seems to be said regardless of whether you have work or money

Once the season is over it's about as exciting as Surbiton on a cold wet Sunday afternoon.

besides, i've spent the winter myself with many friends who were without work and totally skint and many have said they are so glad they've stuck it out. in fact, more than that, they said they'd rather be out of work and skint in ibiza and be here, than being doing the 9-5 groundhog day drudge in the UK or anywhere else.

it's hard, i'll grant you that, but that doesn't diminish what happy and enjoyable times there are to be had. as for your comments about how dead the island is, i can honestly say i don't notice the difference at all where i live, it's been lively and busy and full of people all winter.

Blimey, sensitive little chap aren't you?

All I was suggesting was that for a 23 year old from Ireland (which lets face it is light years ahead of Ibiza socially, culturally and any other way that you would care to mention - sun excluded), coming here in the winter is not as much fun as coming here in the summer especially if you don't have a lot of money.

Sorry if I have offended you by daring to criticise your precious little island.

All I was suggesting was that for a 23 year old from Ireland (which lets face it is light years ahead of Ibiza socially, culturally and any other way that you would care to mention - sun excluded), coming here in the winter is not as much fun as coming here in the summer especially if you don't have a lot of money.

Sorry if I have offended you by daring to criticise your precious little island.

sensitive! ha! i thought the same about you with your spin doctor statement, when all i did was.........errrrrrm, have a difference of opinion.

so let me get this straight, (on the basis of some bars and clubs not being open) ibiza in winter is socially and culturally in the wilderness and whatever else i care to mention........i don't know what you mean really by that, i'm not sure about 100,000 other people who live in all year round would either.

why the need for the patronising tone, i'm not sure, as all i did was give a different opinion based on my own experience.

anwyay, good luck sharon!

The whole Ireland reference is way off the Mark!

Who the Feck would ever think that Ireland was ahead of Ibiza, socially, culturally and any other way is either on drugs or Patronising!

Ibiza in winter is better than Ireland in summer!!

To live in Ibiza is to be part of Ibiza..............

Sorry I havent really been on here since i posted first. Im now staying in work till december. Was thinking bout maybe going somewhere eles before ibiza and then if i go in the summer first maybe it wont mind spending the winter broke after a good summer rather than heading out in winter.

Thanks
Sharon

Back