How's Your Year Been (2022)

Buckley

It's that time, friends! Last year:

https://forum.ibiza-spotlight.com/threads/hows-your-year-been-2021.80411/

A solid year, if an unspectacular one, for me. Another year of almost teetotalism, with a couple of blips to remind myself how little booze does for me and how much it takes away. Managed to sort my diet out too, and the resulting weight loss and fitness gain has seen a real resurgence on the football pitch for me, at 48.

We saw the year in in Cancun, and enjoyed it so much, we went again in April. (Off out there again in a couple of weeks - possibly the last year where the kids needs the good weather to be outdoors and in the pool all day. We figure they'll soon be old enough to get value from more 'sophisticated' holiday.) The wife and I also had a great Ibiza trip - Monday morning hiking with @stivi is one of my favourite Ibiza memories now. I took a 23 man squad to play football in Portugal too, and managed to get the 2 17 year-olds who came, on their first ever holiday sans parents, home in one piece!

My Dad's Parkinsons has been relatively stable, though the drugs keeping it so are giving him regular headaches. My kids are doing well, eldest's Autism almost taking a back seat to my youngest's energy. Lots to come from both, but I think they are happy, most of the time. My Friday night trips to my eldest's inclusive Arsenal sessions are the highlight of my week. It's not the football journey I imagined for my kids, but I made my peace with that a while back.

In the wider world, I sometimes despair at my many of countrymen - Brexiteers, Tory voters, tabloid readers - what would it take for them to stop being fooled by the lying elite class who rob them daily? I consider our family relatively lucky to as yet be insulated from the effects of the huge cost of living increases, but it seems for those worrying whether to eat or heat, Old Etonians are less to blame than desperate foreigners.

I hope you've all had great years, and if not, I hope next year will be better.

So, how was it for you?

Last edited:
It's that time, friends! Last year:

https://forum.ibiza-spotlight.com/threads/hows-your-year-been-2021.80411/

A solid year, if an unspectacular one, for me. Another year of almost teetotalism, with a couple of blips to remind myself how little booze does for me and how much it takes away. Managed to sort my diet out too, and the resulting weight loss and fitness gain has seen a real resurgence on the football pitch for me, at 48.

We saw the year in in Cancun, and enjoyed it so much, we went again in April. (Off out there again in a couple of weeks - possibly the last year where the kids needs the good weather to be outdoors and in the pool all day. We figure they'll soon be old enough to get value from more 'sophisticated' holiday.) The wife and I also had a great Ibiza trip - Monday morning hiking with @stivi is one of my favourite Ibiza memories now. I took a 23 man squad to play football in Portugal too, and managed to get the 2 17 year-olds who came, on their first ever holiday sans parents, home in one piece!

My Dad's Parkinsons has been relatively stable, though the drugs keeping it so are giving him regular headaches. My kids are doing well, eldest's Autism almost taking a back seat to my youngest's energy. Lots to come from both, but I think they are happy, most of the time. My Friday night trips to my eldest's inclusive Arsenal sessions are the highlight of my week. It's not the football journey I imagined for my kids, but I made my peace with that a while back.

In the wider world, I sometimes despair at my many of countrymen - Brexiteers, Tory voters, tabloid readers - what would it take for them to stop being fooled by the lying elite class who rob them daily? I consider our family relatively lucky to as yet be insulated from the effects of the huge cost of living increases, but it seems for those worrying whether to eat or heat, Old Etonians are less to blame than desperate foreigners.

I hope you've all great years, and if not, I hope next year will be better.

So, how was it for you?
Glad things are going well mate.

2022 uppers

- still in a job. even got a raise
- travel to places as exotic & diverse as Dubrovnik, Norwich & Biarritz incl a roadtrip across Pyrenees in a campervan. Good times.
- and Ibiza of course (is Oct the new Sept?)
- the longggg hot summer - how we moaned then, how we miss it now..
- some great gigs & festies in the UK, France and Spain. Where Love Lives was a real joy in Sussex in the summer.
- reconnecting with fam/cousins again after so many years - you appreciate them more and more
- some top podcasts and radio shows - a lifesaver at times - special mention to 1BTN crew, dublab.es, Music Box, Eggpod and Sonica
- some top substacks - Ted Gioia, Ian Leslie, Shawn Reynaldo amongst others
- learning to cycle again. at 47.
- new pals in BCN I met via social media/bars, supporting various radio shows, newsletters and youtube channels
- improving my Sp & Cat - you don't just learn languages, you learn a whole new mindset

2022 downers

- politics/the world. again. you can switch off but you can never tune out
- 'culture wars' - i don't care about your flags or pronouns or devotion to God. We're all facing extinction.
- people getting laid off from work after 15 years without even a goodbye
- life feeling less fun than ever. a daily carousel of cookie popups, forgotten passwords, call centres. spam calls, the daily slog that is too mundane to moan about. the stuff I never used to really think about whilst semi-permanently banjaxed on people's beanbags
- flakey 'pals' - 2 years silence whilst we were climbing the walls, then "any chance of a sofa for Sonar?"
- booze. food. girth. constant exhaustion - an unholy alliance with no discernible return
- airlines - bring the fun back to flying. done in with being cattle.
- the pitiful, abject state of dance music/dj culture. is it all over? and what to replace it with?
- my other half having to move back to England. Hit me a lot harder than I expected. Slow handclap for all who helped make that happen.

2022 uppers

- still in a job. even got a raise
- travel to places as exotic & diverse as Dubrovnik, Norwich & Biarritz incl a roadtrip across Pyrenees in a campervan. Good times.
- and Ibiza of course (is Oct the new Sept?)
- the longggg hot summer - how we moaned then, how we miss it now..
- some great gigs & festies in the UK, France and Spain. Where Love Lives was a real joy in Sussex in the summer.
- reconnecting with fam/cousins again after so many years - you appreciate them more and more
- some top podcasts and radio shows - a lifesaver at times - special mention to 1BTN crew, dublab.es, Music Box, Eggpod and Sonica
- some top substacks - Ted Gioia, Ian Leslie, Shawn Reynaldo amongst others
- learning to cycle again. at 47.
- new pals in BCN I met via social media/bars, supporting various radio shows, newsletters and youtube channels
- improving my Sp & Cat - you don't just learn languages, you learn a whole new mindset

2022 downers

- politics/the world. again. you can switch off but you can never tune out
- 'culture wars' - i don't care about your flags or pronouns or devotion to God. We're all facing extinction.
- people getting laid off from work after 15 years without even a goodbye
- life feeling less fun than ever. a daily carousel of cookie popups, forgotten passwords, call centres. spam calls, the daily slog that is too mundane to moan about. the stuff I never used to really think about whilst semi-permanently banjaxed on people's beanbags
- flakey 'pals' - 2 years silence whilst we were climbing the walls, then "any chance of a sofa for Sonar?"
- booze. food. girth. constant exhaustion - an unholy alliance with no discernible return
- airlines - bring the fun back to flying. done in with being cattle.
- the pitiful, abject state of dance music/dj culture. is it all over? and what to replace it with?
- my other half having to move back to England. Hit me a lot harder than I expected. Slow handclap for all who helped make that happen.
Liked for the uppers mate. That last downer is a real kick in the knackers - much strength and good wishes to you both x

Positives:

- I advanced in my profession. Seems I resolved a career impasse that has plagued me for years (knock on wood).

- Finally learned to do productive remote work during leisure travel, allowing to combine work and travel (my main hobby) at last. This never worked for me in the past - I lacked the discipline to spend 8 concentrated hours in front of my laptop at a holiday destination.

- Best travel year since 2010, with 75 nights of leisure travel away from home so far. Saw the Expo in Dubai, watched the moon rocket launch in Florida, did a remote working holiday in the Canaries, did a car trip through Portugal and island hopping in the Azores, visited Ibiza twice (of course), and went to various European destinations almost each weekend.

- Lost 6kg in weight. That lounge and plane food must be healthier than the stuff I eat at home :D

- Have experienced my best party in Ibiza ever (Kevin & Perry). That's as close to time travel as I will ever get.

Negatives:

- My dad got diagnosed with likely fatal cancer. But he is very easy about it, so I am following his lead.

- Didn't get a boat license (once again). This has been on my new year's resolution for like the last 10 years, but every time I am too lazy for it.

Positives:

- I advanced in my profession. Seems I resolved a career impasse that has plagued me for years (knock on wood).

- Finally learned to do productive remote work during leisure travel, allowing to combine work and travel (my main hobby) at last. This never worked for me in the past - I lacked the discipline to spend 8 concentrated hours in front of my laptop at a holiday destination.

- Best travel year since 2010, with 75 nights of leisure travel away from home so far. Saw the Expo in Dubai, watched the moon rocket launch in Florida, did a remote working holiday in the Canaries, did a car trip through Portugal and island hopping in the Azores, visited Ibiza twice (of course), and went to various European destinations almost each weekend.

- Lost 6kg in weight. That lounge and plane food must be healthier than the stuff I eat at home :D

- Have experienced my best party in Ibiza ever (Kevin & Perry). That's as close to time travel as I will ever get.

Negatives:

- My dad got diagnosed with likely fatal cancer. But he is very easy about it, so I am following his lead.

- Didn't get a boat license (once again). This has been on my new year's resolution for like the last 10 years, but every time I am too lazy for it.
Nice with the travelling! how fun! thats what lives about making great memories

Sorry to hear about your dad🙁

Positives:

Negatives:

Sometimes it's good to have a cry now and again with your dad been very poorly, otherwise it comes back harder later. Make every moment count with him. One of the last things my dad said to me was, make sure you get your onion sets for next year. It's the little things that we remember a guess. You defo sounded like you enjoyed your hols, fair play to you and big thumbs up if you can combine work and holidays 👍

Positives:

Negatives:

Nice +VEs, love and strength re your Dad's situations mate. No idea of what timescales you've been given, but I've had a number of friends outlast predictions by years, all with a good quality of life, so hope you get that luck

Last edited:
After a f***.. heart attack 2 years ago still living. Training as before in the gym. Hope its okay for a couple of years.
Doctor told me everything ok , so far.
New job (engineering ) , message next week , looks good. Maybe the job issue is solved until retirement ( I hope so ). Dont want to work
very long , want to go for retirement as early as possible ( 3 or 4 years ).
Year ends promising. Have to forget the last fu... times ( 3 years ).

After a f***.. heart attack 2 years ago still living. Training as before in the gym. Hope its okay for a couple of years.
New job (engineering ) , message next week , looks good. Maybe the job issue is solved until retirement ( I hope so ). Dont want to work
Here's to the promising end of year sir! Quite the comeback! Well played!

Wow. Good to hear the worst is over. Can I ask what caused your heart attack?

Agree about wanting early retirement. Still unfortunately have another 20 years to go

Cause was hardening of the heart arteries. Also damaged : Heart Valve.
That meaned 4 Bypasses and a new valve.
Was very critical. Not easy to survive.
Reason : Stress, food , cholesterol ?
In Mainz University they told me : No one can say exactly.
Btw : One of the doctors ( She ) know Ibiza very good. We spoke about it. Hard job in the heart departement.

And : Stop Smoking. Stopped it 15 years ago. But the damage stays

Cause was hardening of the heart arteries. Also damaged : Heart Valve.
That meaned 4 Bypasses and a new valve.
Was very critical. Not easy to survive.
Reason : Stress, food , cholesterol ?
In Mainz University they told me : No one can say exactly.
Btw : One of the doctors ( She ) know Ibiza very good. We spoke about it. Hard job in the heart departement.

And : Stop Smoking. Stopped it 15 years ago. But the damage stays

I'm on a yellow card there. Have you had to give up fine food, sugar etc? I don't know if I could go full cold turkey but knowing me I would have to.

Been a decent year all told…the summer especially was amazing, punctuated by three destination weddings and a vintage Glastonbury which really was one of the best in memory. Music wise sadly haven’t managed to cobble a mix together this year but played out a few times and really enjoyed it…had an amazing time playing at one of the weddings in particular in Tuscany. Only downer was probably lack of Ibiza time - only managed a very brief trip this year but already have a June/July trip in for next summer and will look to add a September Harvey stint hopefully. I ran the London Marathon in October and it was genuinely one of the best experiences I’ve ever had…the crowds surpassed all expectations and I managed to raise a decent wedge for a good charity.

Again not been on here loads but still enjoy dipping in for the music threads and the odd dabble for restaurant, hotel and other recommendations. Big love to all the regular crew - wishing you all a great Xmas and NY with people that you love!x

Back