How's Your Year Been? (2019)

Buckley

Last Year:
https://forum.ibiza-spotlight.com/threads/hows-your-year-been-2018.78732/

I'll come back to mine and update this post when I get a chance, but it's always worked to give people most of December to contribute.
E2A:
I'll start at the most recent happening - I gave up drinking alcohol, completely, at the start of November, and started running on any days I don't have football. It's been life-transforming and I don't want to go back. Dealing with my 6 year old's Autism has become way easier, as has dealing my hyper-intelligent 4 year old, who has a sight condition called CSNB, I'm just significantly more capable. Pretty much all relationships in my life have benefited from my health kick - I don't want to become an evangelist, but I do recommend it.

My kids have been the story of my year, both are doing really well despite their challenges outside the norm. Both are now good skiiers, swimmers and runners. My eldest boy had the opening line in his school play the other week, introducing all the animals in the Antarctic section of the 'zoo', a proud moment when you consider we were told 4 years ago he would probably never speak, be toilet-trained or live independently. I am very aware that we are very lucky to be able to fund the help they've needed and continue to need. With this week's election looming, I find myself asking which party would have helped us if hadn't been able to help ourselves? The current state help was non-existent and appeared to actively act against our children's best interests.

The wife and I made it away together without the kids for the first in more than 5 years in late May, to a great wedding on Portugal, and having found a babysitter who can handle our kids and stay overnight, managed another 2 trips after that, to Ibiza (!) and Edinburgh. Getting that time together, away from our rather full on parenting duties is a FSM-send. We also managed family holidays to Nueva Andalucia and Tenerife, plus I played football in Portugal as usual in September.

A black spot on otherwise good year is the continuation of my Dad's Parkinson's. It's been a year of different drugs, different doses and different symptoms, but it is what it is and we are doing ok.

So...you?

Last edited:
I always try to be grateful when looking back. I have health and a wife and family that love me. I have the ability to travel and visit my favorite place on earth;). With that an a daily bowl of rice, I am all set.

My parents were able to sell their property here and return to the north (US), back to the city were we are all originally from. I was sad to see them go, as we got used to having them here with us on this tiny island for the last 5 years. They are now officially retired, and life is cheaper up there and my dad has more options and care for his condition. They also massive have a support system of nearly 20 brothers and sisters, combined. I look forward to May/June 2020, we all get to fly over to Ibiza together and I can show them the place a bit.

My boys healthy and growing. My oldest is now 6 and entering his mischievous phase, but also "adore Dad" phase which I find simultaneously amusing and a bit exhausting. Among other things he ripped down the shower head, swinging like Tarzan and shot a girl his age with a homemade bow/arrow in the last couple of months... Like @Buckley , I think my younger son (2) is the "brain" in our house. He is also a bit of the house muscle and takes NO crap from anyone. It is fun watching their personalities develop.

Individually, I have put some things in motion in the last 12 months that may allow for more independent lifestyle (and more time in Ibiza) in the next several years. "Plan the work and work the plan", as they say. Wifey and I have parents on two separate continents now while we are stuck in the middle, so we need a bit more nomadic lifestyle to enjoy everyone while we can.

I hope everyone here has a great holiday season and fun 2020!

Well before my sept Ibiza trip my life was going the best I can remember. I was making good money at work, paid off a large chunk of debt, been in a solid routine for exercise, I felt good, looked good, and I was on my way to my dream vacation.

When I returned from Ibiza, I was about to take my career to a new level. Planned the job out almost as long as I had planned Ibiza. The owner was cool, the job was amazing, the money was the best Ive ever made.

I quit my job, started the new one, and two weeks in it was all over. It was the BIGGEST mistake Ive ever made. Not only did I not get my dream job, I lost my old one, because it was filled/

Being sort of a niche person in my industry, I was out of work for six weeks, right after spending like a boss in Ibiza to boot. No one will hire me before xmas, and I was forced to take a job paying half of what Im used to just to get by right now.

From an all time high, right down to an all time low. I hate life right now.

Well before my sept Ibiza trip my life was going the best I can remember. I was making good money at work, paid off a large chunk of debt, been in a solid routine for exercise, I felt good, looked good, and I was on my way to my dream vacation.

When I returned from Ibiza, I was about to take my career to a new level. Planned the job out almost as long as I had planned Ibiza. The owner was cool, the job was amazing, the money was the best Ive ever made.

I quit my job, started the new one, and two weeks in it was all over. It was the BIGGEST mistake Ive ever made. Not only did I not get my dream job, I lost my old one, because it was filled/

Being sort of a niche person in my industry, I was out of work for six weeks, right after spending like a boss in Ibiza to boot. No one will hire me before xmas, and I was forced to take a job paying half of what Im used to just to get by right now.

sorry to hear. all changes and chances always come with risks, in your case it hasn't worked out. but hadn‘t you tried it you might have regretted it for a long time.

best of luck, I‘m sure you‘ll find a great job soon again

Sorry to hear this buddy.

Dig deep and keep moving forward.

Everything happens for a reason and brighter days will come :D?

my 2019 has been really good. I'm healthy, my wife is healthy and so are my parents. that alone is a good start.

I still enjoy living and working on ibiza lots. of course the island isn't perfect - I guess no place on earth is - but the positives still outweigh the negatives by a country mile. the climate, the very welcome difference from summer to winter (I wouldn't want ibiza to be 'summer' all year, neither 'winter' - the mix is what makes it great) - for the forseeable future I cannot picture myself living anywhere else.

workwise it's been a great year, but I can't remember having ever worked so much in my entire life. workload increased massively and work/life balance was definitely not there this summer which is also why I didn't enjoy the summer as much as I usually do. to me it was a genuine relief when the season finally drew to a close this year and that's normally not the case, I usually do enjoy the summer even if it's stressful.

we've learnt a few things though and will make sure the same won't happen next summer so it's all good. and all the hard graft was worth it too. also, as usual, the very last bit of the season, the last two to three weeks with cocoon and solomun closings were highlights and finally I could let my hair down a little (or should I say my beard?). seeing the solomun interview going live in that period was highly rewarding too, that was the 'pièce de résistance' of this summer.

I'm also very grateful being able to go travelling - I've just been on holiday with my wife, now xmas is on our doorstep and then, once the dc10 NYD hangover is dealt with, and before the entire ibiza 2020 machinery gets fully going again, I'll go and continue my neverending walk for a bit.

so overall I think I can't complain! :)

merry christmas to all of you - let me also add I still very much enjoy the forums and the fact I've met so many of you by now in real life (craig, one day...!). see you all soon ?

uppers

travel - decent holidays - US west coast, costa brava, pyrenees, tenerife, ibiza, france - all had their moments
some great gigs (much more into live music these days) & exciting new music from all over the world
some very kind comments on various projects I've worked on - thanks to everyone who tuned into the show and read the blogs
making new pals in Spain - hasn't been easy
feeling almost fluent now
my gf going freelance - best decision ever
being less of an arse
new bath

downers

the politics (everywhere)
occasional cabin fever
child support hell
my employers
occasional homesickness
endless red tape
people close to me dying / going to jail
ageing / moaning about everything

Bring on 2020

Good

Health wise managed to get myself into much better shape losing 10 kilos in the process! Lots of running - a half marathon done and London Marathon on the cards for next year so training will begin for that after xmas.

Managed some good trips away, holidays in Dubai, Ibiza and Cornwall and weekend trips to Edinburgh and San Sebastian. Ibiza was great discovered some new places and had a great time at cocoon. October is starting to become a regular trip, the island really is beautiful that time of year and we've been lucky with the weather each time!

Loving spending time with the little one she is of a great age at the moment, lovely company, she's coming out with lots of new words/expressions and getting cheekier by the day!

Bad

My Dad was in intensive care for a month over the summer and gave us all a big scare. Thankful that he pulled through and has almost made a complete recovery.

Work life beginning to feel a little stale and the daily commute taking its toll a bit - 1hr45mins door to door twice a day and I've smashed all the box sets imaginable by now so novelty worn off a little!

Lots to be worried about in terms of politics, climate change and the noticeable increased number of homeless and vulnerable people that I encounter day to day...I got criticised for mentioning this last year but these things weigh on your mind as you get a little older and start to realise that they won't just fix themselves.

Good

Health wise managed to get myself into much better shape losing 10 kilos in the process! Lots of running - a half marathon done and London Marathon on the cards for next year so training will begin for that after xmas.

Managed some good trips away, holidays in Dubai, Ibiza and Cornwall and weekend trips to Edinburgh and San Sebastian. Ibiza was great discovered some new places and had a great time at cocoon. October is starting to become a regular trip, the island really is beautiful that time of year and we've been lucky with the weather each time!

Loving spending time with the little one she is of a great age at the moment, lovely company, she's coming out with lots of new words/expressions and getting cheekier by the day!

Bad

My Dad was in intensive care for a month over the summer and gave us all a big scare. Thankful that he pulled through and has almost made a complete recovery.

Work life beginning to feel a little stale and the daily commute taking its toll a bit - 1hr45mins door to door twice a day and I've smashed all the box sets imaginable by now so novelty worn off a little!

Lots to be worried about in terms of politics, climate change and the noticeable increased number of homeless and vulnerable people that I encounter day to day...I got criticised for mentioning this last year but these things weigh on your mind as you get a little older and start to realise that they won't just fix themselves.

san sebastian on my list - love basque food. guessing not cheap though?

I hear you on the commute too. 1h21 from worthing <> victoria twice a day used to just about kill me

love basque food. guessing not cheap though?

It wasn't silly. We were eating and drinking all weekend so you are constantly spending but flights and accomo were reasonable. We ate a Michelin starred meal as well which obviously pushed up total cost but the meal in itself was great value and nowhere near as expensive as London. Would like to do a longer trip and go exploring Rioja as well. Next time

2019 has been a bit of a whirlwind really

The Not-So-Good
Unfortunately it's not been a great year for my husband, with some serious mental health issues at the beginning of the year which have come and gone and come around again. Luckily though, he's very open and happy to talk through things so we can share the load.
During the time where the problems peaked in Feb-March, it became apparent that we couldn't cope with dealing with that and our new puppy who was having behavioural issues, and we realised that we couldn't give him the life he deserved at that time - and made the heartbreaking decision to give him to another family who had other daschunds who could help him. I still miss him today, but I am SO happy to report he is doing so much better with the other doggies and I've had regular pupdates since him going to his new home :)

And obviously we're worried about the implications of Brexit on us moving next year, but I am sure we'll take it in our stride!

The Good
The good basically outweighs the bad, and we've had some amazing trips this year; Maldives, Zanzibar and of course Ibiza...and have enjoyed this year living in a villa rather than an apartment with BBQs and some good garden chill out times. The plans for moving to Ibiza permenantly have obviously come a fair way (and brought a good few years forward) and so that is obviously VERY exciting.
We bought a little house in Accrington as a source of passive income, and even though it took from May to October to get everything sorted, luckily it was tenanted within a week of completion!
We've managed to see both of our families throughout this year at some point, who are all happy and healthy, and excited for our new chapter.

Lots of plans for the first few months of 2020 while we're still in Dubai, ticking off the bucket list before we leave for good!

Things will come good again dude, stay strong.

Back