How will the poor euro exchange rate effect clubbing numbers?

Yeah i'm definitely still going in August, taking the same amount i do every year, just going to do the big club nights..the rest of the holiday will be spent on the balcony with cheap booze from the supermarket most probably...ibiza is far too expensive now to be doing a superclub every night as i'd done when i first started going.

The only effect that it will have for me, is probably drinking more in the hotel before I go out, or by taking a cheap bottle of vodka to Cafe Mambo and starting the night there 'cheaply'

Yeah i'm definitely still going in August, taking the same amount i do every year, just going to do the big club nights..the rest of the holiday will be spent on the balcony with cheap booze from the supermarket most probably...ibiza is far too expensive now to be doing a superclub every night as i'd done when i first started going.

I'm definitely going to sack the illegal taxis which I use to travel everywhere and spend a fair amount of Euros on just for the sake of getting to a club quicker.

Disco bus all the way!

This is the point I made in the open chat thread on this issue.

This really only affects the Brits, who really need to stop whining after a very lucky decade-plus of the strong pound.

The Euro-zone visitors will be out in equal/greater numbers. Furthermore, others might find Ibiza a more appealing destination as the Euro has weakened against some other currencies (eg. dollar) when compared to 6 months ago.
Well said

Already booked for aug and already cant wait,end f the day id rather save a bit harder and still be able to go MY type of holiday were i can go out clubbing when i want and hearing my fav music rather than going some were just for the sake of it maybe being a bit cheaper.

Its not just the exchange rate for brits that will push numbers down. Global credit crunch and recessessions throughout the world can only have a negative effect on tourism to the island. Many brits won't have a job by the summer so no chance of spending their cash is £50 clubbs with £10 drinks.

I'll be repricing my apartment downwards to try and get it filled. Some rent is better than no rent!

I'm definitely going to sack the illegal taxis which I use to travel everywhere and spend a fair amount of Euros on just for the sake of getting to a club quicker.

Disco bus all the way!

ah nothing wrong with most of the illegal taxis, their only there to make make money like any other worker as long as they dont take the piss with the price....sometimes when i'm wrecked before hitting a club, they are easier than fannying about with those buses which half the time are unreliable :)

ah nothing wrong with most of the illegal taxis, their only there to make make money like any other worker as long as they dont take the piss with the price....sometimes when i'm wrecked before hitting a club, they are easier than fannying about with those buses which half the time are unreliable :)

True but they are a lot more expensive than the legal ones no?

I remember some clown tried to charge me 30 euro to drive from D'alt Vila to Pacha... no chance!

i think its going to be tough on everyone this year.i usually go arond 4-5 times over the summer with family and partying and i must admit i reckon that'll be down to 2,ive just got back after spending new year there and the alarm bells were ringing when i changed £600 and got 570eu lets hope the rate gets a little better!

I think it's pretty funny...for the Brits their exchange rate has been getting worse and worse, but for Americans the exchange rate has been getting better by the day practically..either way though, for both of us Ibiza will be expensive..and just think, even though the Brits might not have a great exchange rate with the euro right now, at least their airfare is a fraction of the cost people from North America are paying..for example, my airfare to the island in June is running $1500 or ~1000 pounds! But hey, you live only once, so I think everyone should still hit up the island for a great summer!

I think it's pretty funny...for the Brits their exchange rate has been getting worse and worse, but for Americans the exchange rate has been getting better by the day practically..either way though, for both of us Ibiza will be expensive..and just think, even though the Brits might not have a great exchange rate with the euro right now, at least their airfare is a fraction of the cost people from North America are paying..for example, my airfare to the island in June is running $1500 or ~1000 pounds! But hey, you live only once, so I think everyone should still hit up the island for a great summer!

Yeah the air fare is a lot cheaper here, and the travelling time also- Just under 3hrs!

"...
Recession hit clubbers ditch Ibiza for UK
25 May 2009

Nightclub bosses are giving recession-hit ravers the chance to cash in
their spare holiday currency – by allowing them to use Euros
over the bar and for club admission in the UK.

Gatecrasher Birmingham surveyed 2,000 dance fans from their database and
discovered each had an average of the equivalent of £50 lying around in unused Euros.

Now they are to allow the currency to be exchanged for drinks and admission
at their 3000 capacity club during the 13 weeks of the Ibiza summer season.

Not only that Gatecrasher bosses are to bring all the biggest Ibizan club brands
and parties to the UK for a 13 week party including Manumission, Jade Jagger’s Jezebel,
Pacha, Space, Amensia, Hed Kandi, Pukka Up and Cream Ibiza.
This 13-week party will be the ultimate Ibiza festival transporting
the most hedonistic place on the planet to Birmingham.

Gatecrasher will also be hosting traditional Ibizan street parades and will transform
the roof of their flagship Birmingham nightclub into a beach terrace.

A spokesman said: “As the pound is suffering against the Euro,
many clubbers are opting to stay at home and not travel to Ibiza this year,
so we thought we’d bring Ibiza to them.
We surveyed 2,000 people from our database and found out that over 60%
would not be going to Ibiza this year, so we though why not bring the fun to them?
We will be transporting everything that happens in Ibiza to the UK
from the legendary street carnivals to the world class dance nights
filled with cutting entertainment, production and superstar DJs.

He continued; “As one of the UK’s biggest nightclub brands we usually host a night
in Ibiza ourselves, but having surveyed our database it seems that what clubbers
really want is the world greatest, wildest and most extravagant brands
without having to travel. So we will bring the brands to the UK.”

The opening fiesta kicks off on the Sunday 25th of May with legendary dance group
Faithless who will be DJing alongside global superstars Sebastian Ingrosso,
Laidback Luke and Dirty South.

For more information go to gatecrasher ...
..."
(easier.com/view/Travel)

seriousley... ive never heard of anything so ridiculous...
im sure the nights will be a blast... but transporting ibiza to the UK????

They must be having a laugh.... i can just picture some damp terrace in brum now, soggy sandals and sand turned to mush...

duh.

The whole idea of going to Ibiza is to get AWAY from the chavvy UK twats that cant afford to go!! :D

...yea the sun is nice to!

tom

The whole idea of going to Ibiza is to get AWAY from the chavvy UK twats that cant afford to go!! :D

...yea the sun is nice to!

tom

Ha Ha ...could not have put it better myself. In some ways this year may be better for not having at least some of the embarissments which give us in the UK a bad name.:)

As for using euros in a UK club...why? If you have been to ibiza and have come back you are unlikely to have any and secondly, if you brought them when the rate was better you're surely going to hang on to them!

I think that the 'global recession' will have an effect on tourism as a whole regardless of where you live.

Tourism in general is down so it goes without saying that there will be some sort of impact felt in Ibiza, we'll just have to wait to see how significant that impact is.

It would be nice if clubs and bars stopped taking the piss with their drink prices but it aint gonna happen is it?

I'll be going as usual in late august / early september and I think its really just a case of being more cautious with my money.

Heres my plan / tips for saving money;

I've always tended not to drink in the clubs, preffering to get tanked up first so, my tactic will be to have an early dinner, get a carry out and head for the sunset strip to watch the sunset and take in any guest appearances. After that its a case of back to the hotel to continue the boozing or hitting the cheaper bars in San An. Therefor I'm well and truly on my way before I get anywhere near a club.

GET THE DISCOBUS! - Honestly shaves a good few euros off of the cost of your holiday plus you can just take a bottle of bevvy with you for the journey!

I've always found the island expensive and I hate getting ripped off so I always try and get the club tickets I really want for the best price possible.

On nights that i'm not fussed about, I go in search of the freebie wristbands. I'm always amazed at the amount of wristbands flying about (San An beach by day, Sunset strip by night) although sometimes you have to have the brass neck to go and ask the pr's for them (easy enough when i'm half canned even when they don't speak English!).

Finally, DONT buy your drink from the wee touristy corner shops. Hit the mini marts that the locals use. You can get litre bottles of local beer for something like 80 cents. There's a couple in the west end, all you have to do is check out the cost of your poison in either and your laughing! In my experience the stores closer to Mambo etc and down at the beach are way more expensive for just about everything.

Anyhoo, that's my tuppenceworth.

I'm sure we'll still have the same brilliant holiday we have every year!

:D

Im going to ibiza in August but this year going fully inclusive so gonna get a little tipsy on sangria every night + Sunday am before hitting the clubs but tbh I dont drink much while out clubbing anyway too busy dancing its the pre club bars that Im gonna be giving a miss to this year while I drink my free sangria lol found out that the hotel I booked wasn't the one I thought it was though, ahh **** happens

The weak pound has definitely had an impact on me this year. The first time I came to Ibiza 5 years ago was for 14 nights, the next time 10 nights, this year 5 nights!

I'm planning on saving money by driving to clubs, this also stops me drinking whilst there. I get wasted with everyone else once back at the hotel as the party doesn't stop when we leave the club :lol:

I worked out that 5 days car hire costs only a few quid more than the airport transfers to and from San An would be (for 2).

Back