How to become a non bedroom dj???

jrd

hey everyone!! specially to those of you who dj in clubs!

i have been mixing at home for a few months now and i think the standard is just as good as some dj's i hear in my area.....

I'd love to do a few sets in local clubs (Edinburgh)

All you dj's out there.........how did you start?

i've been told to make demos and hand them around! is it as easy as that?

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Thanks!

thanks!

I like playing trance. Would also play house! but I have no experience playing live and i dont know if my record collection is big enough....

130 vinyls? thats why I would only want to do a set or two first.

its hard to make varied sets with only 130 vinyls because I have trance house and some cheesy dance!

Jamie - I live in Edinburgh mate and Scottish clubbing is all but dead !
(some decent underground techno nights, the odd good house night and of course The Arches).

I found that handing mixes out seemed to do the trick 4/5 years ago but it's each to their own.

Good luck !

If you have a bunch of mates, throw your own night - you get some club experience, your mates get a good night out and the club manager gets to sell some drinks. Everybody wins :)

Aaron said:
You folks ever go out clubbin in Edinburgh? If so where?

I don't go out much there now. Do This Do That at The Honeycomb is a superb night - run by Neil Anthony, the Underwater resident from Pacha this year. They have Groove Armada in Feb I think.

Also Ultragroove or Audio Deluxe for your soulful house.
Dogma for your techno.

Glasgow is a better bet for a night out. Arches, Sub Club, MAS.

Yup, Do this Do That is a superb night! Was at Ultragrove the other month there. Was not that impressed......crowd were not up for it at all. Agreed.....Glasgow is better.

All the decent places edinburgh had in terms of clubbing have closed/burnt down (Wilkie House, La Belle Angele)

Glasgow really is far better for clubbing

kitten's head said:
All the decent places edinburgh had in terms of clubbing have closed/burnt down (Wilkie House, La Belle Angele)

RIP Wilkie House. My first 'proper(ish)' club. Was only 16 or 17! :) Bless.

Those hazy nights at Sublime with Idge and Kev Wright....

Wilkie was wicked.

The old Vaults was cool, "proper" underground (i.e a dump !!!)

Jamie i would try throwing a bit of a party like has already been mentioned. Playing live is a lot different to playing in your bedroom. Make sure you got some decent headphones too! When i did my first gig, (a big party organised by mates) i really struggled to hear.

One really important point as well - this was probably the best thing I ever learnt....

The ability to warm up properly.

Inevitably if you're good enough, you'll get your chance, but it will no doubt be a warm up set somewhere. Your job isn't to wow the crowd or your mates with a selection of big tunes, it's to prepare a room for someone else. Make sure you know the crowd you're playing to and the dj following you, as this will help you make the right decisions.
A lot of people see dj'ing as their moment of glory, instead of realising that you're there to do a job which ultimately affects how good a night turns out to be.
If the guy after you is playing house, there's no point banging out trance at +8. Self explanatory really, but you'd be amazed at the amount of people i've had to play after who've done this, and it can totally ruin a night.

The best way to get noticed is to get your face known at the clubs you want to play for. A promoter isn't going to give a young guy a set based solely on a mix cd if the guy has never been to the club, no matter how good the mix is.
Some of the best residents have been punters at the club, they know the people who run it, the crowd, the sound system, you name it.
Knowledge is power.

Phew !

Stu Hirst said:
One really important point as well - this was probably the best thing I ever learnt....

Inevitably if you're good enough, you'll get your chance, but it will no doubt be a warm up set somewhere. Your job isn't to wow the crowd or your mates with a selection of big tunes, it's to prepare a room for someone else. Make sure you know the crowd you're playing to and the dj following you, as this will help you make the right decisions.
A lot of people see dj'ing as their moment of glory, instead of realising that you're there to do a job which ultimately affects how good a night turns out to be.
If the guy after you is playing house, there's no point banging out trance at +8. Self explanatory really, but you'd be amazed at the amount of people i've had to play after who've done this, and it can totally ruin a night.

The best way to get noticed is to get your face known at the clubs you want to play for. A promoter isn't going to give a young guy a set based solely on a mix cd if the guy has never been to the club, no matter how good the mix is.
Some of the best residents have been punters at the club, they know the people who run it, the crowd, the sound system, you name it.
Knowledge is power.

Phew !

Amen.

Stu Hirst said:

Knowledge is power.

Phew !

good advice 8)

thanks guys!!

I hate admitting it but i always end up in revolution when i'm out!! :evil:

I can blame my friends for that though hehe!

I just dont know how to get into the scene to start with! I read about the headphone thing on a website somewhere! I'll keep it in mind if i ever get the chance to do a set!

Aaron said:
kitten's head said:

RIP Wilkie House. My first 'proper(ish)' club. Was only 16 or 17! :) Bless.

Mine too. :cry: Taste and Sublime at Wilkie House were too good.

Back