How much?

Yeah you can't stay more than 90 days in a 180 day period with a UK passport...
That's fine - is there a visa you apply for then?

... including the likes of Farage, Tommy Robinson and their fanboys who are eligible for EU passports so can move as freely as they want, but were happy to f*ck the rest of us over!

You were and are being f*cked before that mate. Happens every time you pay tax and VAT on purchases each and every month.

Stop reading The Sun and the daily mail.

Crikey. You don't know much about ibiza do you? Have you not seen all the anti tourist protests, the articles in newspapers about people living in shanty towns because of the housing crisis? Employers saying they can't get staff because people can't afford accommodation?

There's a Facebook group called ibiza winter residents. Join it and you won't know whether to laugh or cry at some of the posts on there.
Nope - clueless mate. Proper newbie me.

Can't say I have looked at property prices in detail. But aware of the cost of living across Europe not just Ibiza I'm not ignorant to that.

Cannot be sustainable though this surely... is there plans to build more property?

I wouldn't wipe my arse with either of them mate. They, the people funding them and the idiots lapping up their bile are a big part of why the UK's in such a mess.
The people funding them and lapping them up are the left 🤣 literally

Anyhow would ideally want to keep this on topic please mate

Can’t comment on living in Ibiza, but can offer a few general tips on living in Spain. Obv the financials come first, but it’s as much about adapting to things you wouldn’t initially think about: hours, food, weather, bureaucracy (lots of), local sensitivities, politics, and etiquette. Making an effort with Spanish/Catalan will really go down well, even if you’re not committed long term. Quickly getting out of a tourist headspace is key.

Everyone's pretty much covered the main points but it ultimately depends on WHY it appeals to you and WHAT your goals are.

- consider what your core interests/hobbies are. Does the island cater for all of them, or worth using island as base to travel to mainland?

- workwise, check whether you can work remotely. Some US/UK remote working sites cannot be accessed in EU (as I myself found out) even with VPNs

- declare regular income. If you are autónomo (freelance), the Sp taxman will want to know (and will start sniffing around after first 3K goes in - all state and bank records are crosschecked these days by law). If you're already paying tax in UK still tell Spanish bank to let them know.

- be mindful of expat living, the pros/cons, the intensity of familiarity and gossip, strong drinking or drug cultures in some groups, the mental health implications if ill-prepared

- if you can afford it and are adaptable you'll have no problem. Go in naive though and you might struggle. Best of luck!

building more & more property would be the exact opposite of 'sustainability' on an island that already now has a massive human pressure with all its consequences: water scarcity, traffic, littering, waste management etc.

i could write a long post, maybe another day though
Like the UK then, only with less concern on environmental impact.

Ibiza residents and yourself must be extreme far right to have such opinions.

I totally get it

Though I wondered how long term, will 'business' succeed. And ultimately that is super important to an island that was once very poor?

The only way to bring down rent and property prices is to build - what else of anything would sort this issue? Maybe government intervention to cap rent?

Also I wonder if more and more dream of leaving the UK as Labour destroy it, like myself, to live in a place like Ibiza - in turn exacerbating the issue

Good for you for admitting it! You're obviously realising that having a few holidays in a place is no insight into life 'red in tooth and claw' as lived by the locals.
I wouldn't class almost 20 trips to Ibiza a few holidays....

I wouldn't class almost 20 trips to Ibiza a few holidays....
No, neither would I, but it's not that long ago that you opined that only clubbers went to ibiza as all the places you'd ever been to (obviously not that many) were full of clubbers.

I was in Greece last week. I went to the beach, 5 tavernas, and a small supermarket. I have no idea what real life is like there.

For someone - possibly the only person on the planet - who thinks the Daily Mail is a left wing paper, I'd may not jump in as quick as you been doing in labelling people right or left @Life of Rye

No, neither would I, but it's not that long ago that you opined that only clubbers went to ibiza as all the places you'd ever been to (obviously not that many) were full of clubbers.

I was in Greece last week. I went to the beach, 5 tavernas, and a small supermarket. I have no idea what real life is like there.
I said 'only' clubbers went to Ibiza? I believe I suggested that the obvious pull for most was the club culture. Plus not to mention that most will have fell in love with the island because that was their initial reason to visit.

I still maintain that.

Unless you are going to tell me you first went to Ibiza and wasn't at all interested in the clubs but really wanted to go to Ibiza because the chiringuito off the beaten track was where you could really see yourself.

Look I get it you live in Ibiza so how dare anyone voice their opinion.

Oh by the way Greece is quite a big place.... Ibiza is the size of Hertfordshire. If you went to Hertfordshire 20 times on holiday and got about the place with hired transport. You'd have a pretty good idea of the place.

Smashing up Ibiza’s beautiful landscape and building skyscrapers to accommodate foreigners bored in their home countries is not the answer imho…
Probably not.... but if you look at some areas such as Cala De Bou there are a lot of derelict buildings which could become a block of apartments??

What about that awful looking unfinished hotel next to Playa Bella?

Probably not.... but if you look at some areas such as Cala De Bou there are a lot of derelict buildings which could become a block of apartments??

What about that awful looking unfinished hotel next to Playa Bella?

You’re not thinking through certain details. A small island has finite capacity. Stivi outlined the issues above + the permanent population has increased a lot in 15 years. You cannot have a supply & demand free market w/o considering the social costs. That’s basic humanitarian and environmental common sense not communism..

You’re not thinking through certain details. A small island has finite capacity. Stivi outlined the issues above + the permanent population has increased a lot in 15 years. You cannot have a supply & demand free market w/o considering the social costs. That’s basic humanitarian and environmental common sense not communism..
Jesus this forum is so hostile.

Of course I am thinking through certain details. Are you suggesting I am dumb?

You can't have continued low supply, and high demand. On an island in which tourism slowly grows year on year. Yes there is an environmental impact of course there is.

And as for having a supply and demand free market without considering the social costs - I assume you didn't vote Labour then?

Jesus this forum is so hostile.

Of course I am thinking through certain details. Are you suggesting I am dumb?

You can't have continued low supply, and high demand. On an island in which tourism slowly grows year on year. Yes there is an environmental impact of course there is.

And as for having a supply and demand free market without considering the social costs - I assume you didn't vote Labour then?

Dude, people were trying to be helpful

Why do I bother?

I've also always wondered this. I've never been to Ibiza in the winter (it is on my list) but I suspect December in Ibiza is just "ooo it's a bit chilly out" as opposed to the full Day After Tomorrow "DO NOT GO OUTSIDE YOU WILL FREEZE TO DEATH" of the UK. What does it get down to...like 10 degrees? It was 6 degrees here this morning 😂
Humidity and wind can be terrible in ibiza during the January - March period.

Back