How much?

Life of Rye

I would love to move to ibiza, at least for a couple of years.

Probably around Cala De Bou but honestly I think you could live anywhere on the island because no where is exactly that far to travel to

Though the question I have is for those that currently live in Ibiza, or have lived there.

What is a realistic monthly spenditure?

Rent
Food and energy
Car (maybe can drive over so just insurance?)
One night out a month
Misc like haircuts / clothes or just general spending money

I know rent is extremely high these days, so would it be reasonable to suggest spending would be around the €3,000 a month mark?

I need to figure out when and how I can make this move to Ibiza - because as I currently write this. I am on the island. And I have been here what must be almost 20 times now, and I just love the place.

Probably around Cala De Bou but honestly I think you could live anywhere on the island because no where is exactly that far to travel to

Though the question I have is for those that currently live in Ibiza, or have lived there.

Rent
Food and energy
One night out a month

I know rent is extremely high these days, so would it be reasonable to suggest spending would be around the €3,000 a month mark?

I need to figure out when and how I can make this move to Ibiza - because as I currently write this. I am on the island. And I have been here what must be almost 20 times now, and I just love the place.
Do you have an EU passeport ?

Food and energy are expensive compared to France for example, I can't talk about the difference with UK.

Assuming you have the correct passport and/or visa to live and work in ibiza you'll still be in the honeymoon period after 2 years when everything is new and different and before cabin fever kicks in. You'll even find the appalling customer service and lackadaisical attitude to pretty well everything still quite amusing, and you'll need to accept that a 20% success rate on even your most mundane daily plans is excellent. In 2019 my annual leccy bill was €3000 and €600 on logs to keep the house at a livable temperature.

I was as happy as a pig in muck for the first 12 years I lived in ibiza, never left the island, but then the same old same old gets to be a mundane routine and to get to anywhere more interesting, it's a plane or ferry. I'm glad I lived there when I did, but I'm glad I don't live there now.

Assuming you have the correct passport and/or visa to live and work in ibiza you'll still be in the honeymoon period after 2 years when everything is new and different and before cabin fever kicks in. You'll even find the appalling customer service and lackadaisical attitude to pretty well everything still quite amusing, and you'll need to accept that a 20% success rate on even your most mundane daily plans is excellent. In 2019 my annual leccy bill was €3000 and €600 on logs to keep the house at a livable temperature.

I was as happy as a pig in muck for the first 12 years I lived in ibiza, never left the island, but then the same old same old gets to be a mundane routine and to get to anywhere more interesting, it's a plane or ferry. I'm glad I lived there when I did, but I'm glad I don't live there now.

The Rat and Parrot closed and there were no more Sunday Roasts with OFAH, El Ste. We all know that's where your dream died. :p

Asking for advice from people that lives or have lived in Ibiza of course help but it's essentially all about what do you want and what do you like in life.
Of course they might give you an idea of what to expect and how things works but personal experiences are just that, personal.
What some might find boring and mundane not necessarily translate with you and vice versa.

Rent
Food and energy
One night out a month

Your comment in the politics chat a couple of months ago was "I believe in Farage and Tice and I think Anderson is great too." Which would make you very much against immigration, no?

Your comment in the politics chat a couple of months ago was "I believe in Farage and Tice and I think Anderson is great too." Which would make you very much against immigration, no?
What a very naive and ignorant thing to write. Typical lefty comment to make.

Because I want to rent a place in Ibiza TEMPORARILY, and support myself without using the states money. And do things Legally!! Yes totally related that one mate.

Anyway thanks to others that have replied

I went for a coffee in sant Josep this morning and love that little town!! And now in Cala Vadella having a drink and a bite to eat at Cana Sofia - manifesting living here some day

I feel like I certainly need to get it out of my system

The winter does concern me slightly though as I suppose you could get a little bored.

What a very naive and ignorant thing to write. Typical lefty comment to make.

Because I want to rent a place in Ibiza TEMPORARILY, and support myself without using the states money. And do things Legally!! Yes totally related that one mate.

Anyway thanks to others that have replied

I went for a coffee in sant Josep this morning and love that little town!! And now in Cala Vadella having a drink and a bite to eat at Cana Sofia - manifesting living here some day

I feel like I certainly need to get it out of my system

The winter does concern me slightly though as I suppose you could get a little bored.
Those locations can get a bit too sleepy in the winter months so maybe if boredom is your concern you can maybe try staying in Eivissa, not totally dead in the low season and great location to reach other destinations.
As for cost of living, that depends on your lifestyle, food shopping in the big supermarket chains is not that expensive.
The majority of your money probably will go towards the rent, as for heating bills again that depends on the house and where is located, the more you are in the campo the colder it gets.
I'll give you that the winter months are not as balmy as the summer ones here but it baffles me when I hear people complaining how cold it is, especially as that seem to come from people from the UK 🤷🏻‍♂️

Your uk insurance won't cover you if you are not on holiday. If you import your uk car you will have to pay import duty and convert it for driving on the right and put it on spanish plates. You will need to get a spanish driving license.

I'll give you that the winter months are not as balmy as the summer ones here but it baffles me when I hear people complaining how cold it is, especially as that seem to come from people from the UK 🤷🏻‍♂️

I've also always wondered this. I've never been to Ibiza in the winter (it is on my list) but I suspect December in Ibiza is just "ooo it's a bit chilly out" as opposed to the full Day After Tomorrow "DO NOT GO OUTSIDE YOU WILL FREEZE TO DEATH" of the UK. What does it get down to...like 10 degrees? It was 6 degrees here this morning 😂

I've also always wondered this. I've never been to Ibiza in the winter (it is on my list) but I suspect December in Ibiza is just "ooo it's a bit chilly out" as opposed to the full Day After Tomorrow "DO NOT GO OUTSIDE YOU WILL FREEZE TO DEATH" of the UK. What does it get down to...like 10 degrees? It was 6 degrees here this morning 😂
Ok, I'm probably the wrong person to talk about the weather in Ibiza as I belong to the club de locos that goes to the beach all year including getting in the water in winter 😂 but winters here are not THAT cold.
The problem here is the humidity, a problem that also make the heat a bit too much in the summer months.
After Christmas is probably when it gets a bit chilly especially at night but lower temperatures stay on average around 10ⁿ in the colder days.
During the day when is sunny, which is often, you can easily go out without layers of clothes, sometimes I find wearing a jacket over a jumper a bit too much.
Down to 6⁰ already in the UK is pretty shocking considering that it's going to be like that for a good 8 months and it can only get worse.
Just the thought makes me depressed, no thank you! 😂
...and before I get slated, I did live in the UK on and off for sometime so I know what I'm talking about 😉

I have been looking at rental prices and it seems the best price I can find is around 1800 euro 🤯

Also I can apply for an Irish passport which will get me EU access - but surely if I can support myself financially and only want to stay for a couple of years, is this really an issue?

But anyway the cost of living here seems extreme....

Makes me wonder how people are making ends meet?

I looked at an estate agent window and a 2 or 3 bed apartment is 700,000 euro what the hell 🤯... I suppose locals have just kept many of their properties for many many years and so haven't suffered? But the property prices are beyond what you'd be able to afford and buy if you worked on the island surely?

I have been looking at rental prices and it seems the best price I can find is around 1800 euro 🤯

Also I can apply for an Irish passport which will get me EU access - but surely if I can support myself financially and only want to stay for a couple of years, is this really an issue?

I looked at an estate agent window and a 2 or 3 bed apartment is 700,000 euro what the hell 🤯... I suppose locals have just kept many of their properties for many many years and so haven't suffered? But the property prices are beyond what you'd be able to afford and buy if you worked on the island surely?
You'd better crack on with applying for your Irish passport then!
No more free movement in the EU for us Brits. You have Brexit to thank for that!

Last edited:

Crikey. You don't know much about ibiza do you? Have you not seen all the anti tourist protests, the articles in newspapers about people living in shanty towns because of the housing crisis? Employers saying they can't get staff because people can't afford accommodation?

There's a Facebook group called ibiza winter residents. Join it and you won't know whether to laugh or cry at some of the posts on there.

Back