How do you discover new music?

MelvinDeath

As per the title- how do you generally find new music / new djs to listen to?

Any podcasts? Spotify playlists etc?

My favourite aspect of electronic music is the fact there's always something to discover, but it's easy to get stuck into with the same old sound.

Curious to hear how others find new sounds

I listen to Pete Tongs show on BBC Sounds, mainstream I know but he covers a wide range of genres.

Spotify Playlists I follow: Beatport best new melodic house & Techno, Altar, Techno State, UK House Music.

Soundcloud is good but its a case of rocks and diamonds, for every gem theres a bedroom DJ putting a bad donk on something.

Mostly from listening to radio recently....independent radio like NTS, Worldwide FM and 1BTN which is a local one here in Brighton. Still dip into the essential mix as well when there is a good one on. Also there is a stream of good mix recommends from RA, and see them on here as well if you look on the right threads. I still buy vinyl so scan new releases and follow the likes of phonica and a few other accs on IG that post clips of new stuff etc and re-issues...then it is just a matter of diving a bit deeper and looking for mixes and past releases of labels and artists you like. End of year charts are then a good sweep up of things I've missed.

I listen to Pete Tongs show on BBC Sounds, mainstream I know but he covers a wide range of genres.

Yeah I tend to listen to Pete Tongs Spotify playlist and the beatport top 100 but that top 100 playlist is like rattling through a sale rail in TK Max, something every now and then but a lot of guff

As per the title- how do you generally find new music / new djs to listen to?

Any podcasts? Spotify playlists etc?

My favourite aspect of electronic music is the fact there's always something to discover, but it's easy to get stuck into with the same old sound.

Curious to hear how others find new sounds
Altar playlist on Spotify for me. Been listening to it for years mostly great tunes with the odd one thrown in and it's updated weekly. Now I'm getting on a bit (!) I know what I like and go from there.

Also discovered a great DJ last year from Field Day as I went so early in the day. Another way to find them!

As @elmooreo has already pointed out independent radio stations. Many are only online but you can always catch up with the shows at your own leisure if you cannot catch them live, either through their own websites or on mixcloud. one show leads to another...

How do i find music?
Individual tracks - youtube mostly via feeds, occasional bandcamp
dj charts on juno
mates’ recoms on social media
go-to-labels i trust
mixes - although less and less time sadly. See also radio shows. 1btn is very good, dublab, nts, the lot, andy wilson sonica
certain sites which are gold: banbantonton, test pressing, dj history is getting reboot soon too

Soundcloud, as I'm only listening sessions, not tracks.
For me it's quite the opposite.
Seldomly mixes or playlists, mostly tracks and (mini-)albums.

Bandcamp has been my mainstay for the past year or so.
Spent tons of time sweeping out entire catalogues of various labels, unknown editors, random tags.

When feeling stuck it can be refreshing to have a look at catalogues of other music fans.
Many interesting collections in there from well-known artists and promotors like Jennifer Cardini or Les Yeux Orange. Earlier today I had a peek at Mikey Sibson's collection, co-owner of Balearic Ensemble; seems decent as well if you're into balearics. Lesser known profiles are also worth watching.

And the music threads in here of course.

Last edited:
I subscribe to Bill Brewster’s Patreon account and he puts out a download a day of music from right across the board. Plus his live mixes and podcasts. A real treasure trove.
I tend to let Soundcloud play it’s recommended tracks for you and then find myself getting side tracked and end up buying more music.
I’ve also got a lot of friends with great musical taste , who I trust when they tell me about something.
This forum is great for discovering new music, too

From time to time I just click on things being adverted on the "selling right now"-ticker on the bc homepage.
This has proven very effective to get in touch with slightly odder & older stuff.
This 2016 breakbeat blinder just came along.
Can't praise that label enough.

i have a handful of regular shows that I listen to now and that’s about it. i just have
less listening time generally these days. A few I’ve found out about from here.

For me it’s Cosmos Balearic Breakfast, Apiento on NTS, Howlers Balearic Breakdown Breakfast and also Felix Dickinson lately both on 1BTN.

The above pretty much fills up all the time I have to listen to stuff and it’s enough for me.

Back