Homemade wine - Q?

WeLuvIbiza

Any spotlighters proficient in the art?

My dad used to make wine from all kinds of stuff many years ago. Having noticed huge quantities of elderberries on a tree / bush in our garden I thought it might be an idea to embark on making some wine in time for Christmas.

Trouble is these days, wine is so cheap, it would probably cost more to buy the equipment and produce the wine!

I was only a wee lad when my dad made wine and wouldn't know whether home made wine tastes like alcoholic witch pee or is actually worth the effort???

Any spotlighters proficient in the art?

My dad used to make wine from all kinds of stuff many years ago. Having noticed huge quantities of elderberries on a tree / bush in our garden I thought it might be an idea to embark on making some wine in time for Christmas.

Trouble is these days, wine is so cheap, it would probably cost more to buy the equipment and produce the wine!

I was only a wee lad when my dad made wine and wouldn't know whether home made wine tastes like alcoholic witch pee or is actually worth the effort???

I think Russ is diversifying into the wine making area..... :lol:

I have been violently ill on elderberry wine (a cheeky '82 vintage - back in '83 :lol::lol::lol:) I really wanted to just die......... seriously - I dont think I have ever been that ill )

My dad used to make dandelion wine - this fruit wine with actual flowers in the recipe. weird stuff but actually quite tasty! Wish I had the recipe.

I can make beer. Haven't done it in ages though.

I think Russ is diversifying into the wine making area..... :lol:

I have been violently ill on elderberry wine (a cheeky '82 vintage - back in '83 :lol::lol::lol:) I really wanted to just die......... seriously - I dont think I have ever been that ill )

Doesn't sound hopeful, I am the worlds worst patient when being sick with too much vino! I could always give it away in nicely labelled bottles for xmas presents :lol::twisted:

I will discuss with Shelley and try and get her into the idea as I have just been reading about all the sterilisation procedures, that sounds like a girly job :)

I seem to remember Banana Wine being tres popular back in the student days - and it had the plus point of tasting really nice too!!

I seem to remember Banana Wine being tres popular back in the student days - and it had the plus point of tasting really nice too!!

I was never a fan of banana milk, yuk. I will start with elderberry & also some apple (we got several bags of windfalls off the nieghbours) :)

young pups is (as usual) right. I am indeed attempting to make my own booze. Funnily enough we are using elderberries from a tree at the bottom of the garden.

I bought a kit for about £30 which contained all the yeast, stabilisers etc you need to make about 6 bottles of wine. It also contained all the buckets, pipes and stuff you will ever need too (including a weird sex toy looking thing which apparently measures the alcohol percentage)

It was huge fun stripping the tree and squelching up the berries. The mash (a technical term) is now in an airtight bottle making weird farty noises. The wine will be ready for xmas

The mash (a technical term) is now in an airtight bottle making weird farty noises. The wine will be ready for xmas

Our little boy will think this is the funniest thing in the world ever, any type of farting sound is belly laugh time!

I had better get the wheels in motion to get the wine ready for xmas. Happy brewing russ, perhaps we can compare tasting notes at xmas. :)

I can confirm my Elderberry wine was a total flop:spank:

Spent dozens of man hours on the project, tasted at Christmas and it was aweful. Though another six months layed down might do the trick, it's absolute pants. Looks gorgeous, beautiful rich translucent red, tastes as I imagine rats piss would.

Will be making jam from the elderberries this year :lol:

Was yours a success, russ?

Back