history of clubbing in ibiza

R

robkap

does anyone know if there's a book about the history of clubbing in ibiza? how the whole scene developed etc?

any tips on any book or person who may be an authority would be great..

ta, robkap

The only thing I know is that PACHA club was the first 30 in Ibiza years ago.

the club scene as we know it(well sort of) took of after a group of english lads went to ibiza for their holiday(88?), and went to ku, took some good pills, got hooked on the balearic vibe, brought it back to london, opened clubnights in london to recreate the vibe from ibiza, acid house took off......and the rest, as they say is history.

but ibiza had been popular with the hedonistic massive and hippies of this world for long, it was just this time the house scene as we know it blew up, thanks to these now well-knowns.

dont know any books on the subject though, but 'last night a dj saved my life' is a good book nonetheless on the developement of the housescene in general.

Some good books which cover the history of clubbing in Ibiza as well as dance music as a whole are:

Wayne Anthony - Class of 88
Wayne Anthony Spanish Highs - Sex, Drugs and Excess in Ibiza
Sheryl Garratt - Adventures in Wonderland
Ben Turner - Inspired Images of Ibiza

ascendia said:
the club scene as we know it(well sort of) took of after a group of english lads went to ibiza for their holiday(88?), and went to ku, took some good pills, got hooked on the balearic vibe, brought it back to london, opened clubnights in london to recreate the vibe from ibiza, acid house took off......and the rest, as they say is history.

The 'English lads' were Paul Oakenfold, Nicky Hollway, Danny Rampling and Johnny Walker (see my signature courtesy of Mike Skinner :p )

They actually took their first pill in Nightlife :eek: :p

As Ascendia said they loved the whole balaeric thing and came back to London and Shoom and Spectrum were born.

ta all 4 feedback on ibizan club history. i'm particularly interested to learn about the stories of those entrepenuers who rode the crest of the wave....took clubs from cafe garden to mega clubs...the movers and shakers,the characters (aside from the DJ's) that changed the face of the island

keep it coming!

I think Trevor Fung has got to be added to that list Barbie, he was one of the "gang of lads" who went to Ibiza to celebrate Oakey's birthday and were blown away by Alfredo.
There was a brilliant documentary series on channel 4 a couple of years ago called "The History of House" and Channel 4 also produced a book to accompany it I think. Wasn't all about Ibiza but one part was. It showed some brilliant photo's of a pilled up and mulleted Paul Oakenfold and Nicky Holloway. Not sure about this but they could have been in El Divino.
Oakey then brought the scene back to London with nights like The Project and Spectrum at Heaven and Danny Rampling started Shoom.
It then kicked off all over the country, hence the Ibiza scene exploding and ending up what it is today.
One of my biggest regrets is not going to Ibiza in 89 when I had just discovered the whole scene. Me and my GF (who is now my wife) went to Lunn Poly to book up for Ibiza but they said all the flights were full. So we settled for Magaluf. Yes Magaluf. Instead of Ibiza. It still devastates me to this day!!!

hook19 said:
One of my biggest regrets is not going to Ibiza in 89 when I had just discovered the whole scene. Me and my GF (who is now my wife) went to Lunn Poly to book up for Ibiza but they said all the flights were full. So we settled for Magaluf. Yes Magaluf. Instead of Ibiza. It still devastates me to this day!!!

i know what you mean, although it was in 92, that i won a 'free' holiday to majorca. just had to pay for the flights. needless to say it was in magaluf, and since discovering the ravescene the year before, it did have something, but nothing on ibiza obviously. we ended up staying for 2 months working there, but to this day i really dont know why we couldnt just have jumped on the ferry to ibiza. i remeber people talking about going there, and how much better it was. it surely wasnt ment to be.... :(

magaluf did have rage at the bcm tho, with fabio & grooverrider..

Yea Magaluf was ok, but it just makes me sick that I had the legendary summer of 89 in Ibiza within my grasp, but it slipped away when I believed the stupid cow in Lunn Poly instead of trying somewhere else.
Obviously, she was only doing her job, but I still hate her with a passion!!

hook19 said:
Yea Magaluf was ok, but it just makes me sick that I had the legendary summer of 89 in Ibiza within my grasp, but it slipped away when I believed the stupid cow in Lunn Poly instead of trying somewhere else.
Obviously, she was only doing her job, but I still hate her with a passion!!

let to go of the hate mister. :p if you look at life with the eyes that know everything that happens happens for a reason, then you know that aqtough hard to understand, it was the best thing for you then...... :p ;)

there are no 'accidents'. there might have been reasons for you not going to ibiza then.....but i do understand your frustration, but let it go, and forgive the travelagent ;) :p :lol:

Theres a really interesting history of ibiza written in the Space 2003 booklet. It actually goes back to the thirties when all people from all over (mainly african and spanish) came to get away from their repressed countries...even back then, ibiza was known as paradise cuz Franco didn't pay much attention to it allowing it to develop into a cosmopolitan and open-minded island.

It hasn't looked back since... 8)

My brief history of Ibiza....

This is what I have read heard... (can't remember where)

1. Ibiza becomes home to hippies / bohemians during the '50's and 60's (due to it having a magical feel)

2. The glam set discover Ibiza as a cool place to buy villa's and party during the 70's and 80's ... think people like George Michael, Boy George, Italian Mafiosi etc (the marbella set if u will)

3. Exstasy becomes the drug of choice for the above types during the early 80's (although not really a club drug then..more glammy parties). E was actual sold legally in the US!!

4. DJ's like Alfredo are really making a name for themselves on the island playing ballearic beats

5. Oakenfold, Rampling etc go on a stag do to Ibiza in '87(?), just as ecstasy starts to spill out of the select inner circle.

5. The south London boys like ecstasy and the music.

6. They bring e and the vibe back to London (both literally and by word of mouth) and start running club nights like Shroom).

7. People like shroom, gay, straight whatever all have a common interest and UK scene starts to take off.

9. The UK-Ibiza clubbing crossover starts proper.

erm thats what I can remember... most of it comes from a brilliant book called Altered State I think (history of house music, clubbing, ecstasy etc). My memory ain't that good so forgive me for any errors but i'm pretty sure thats a rough history.

One last thing... although Oakenfold etc did play a major part in the ibiza explosion, they should not get all the credit for it... Alfredo and the locals were doing it way before those guys (it kind of annoys me that the Brits think of Ibiza as some kind of colony!!! (I'm British by the way))

Ray.

club history

ta ray mate. i'm beginning to get the picture...but would luv to pin down one of the impressarios that transformed a small local disco into what became a mega-club. fascinated by the business transformation (i believe pacha started out as a cafe garden playing tunes till 1am!)

anyone???!

just a b'day do in 87

yep finally Trevor Fung gets name checked

mdma powder freely available in London at clubs like Taboo, Ascension, Mudd, various warehouse parties, Delirium, Wag , City of Angels, RAW ..B4 the so called "summer of Love"

Oakenfold was a hip-hop DJ who saw an opportunity and grabbed it..
indeed what gets lost in all this, is that there was a scene b4 those herberts bought it back...

sadly all gone now 'cause english people and promoters insist in playing the same stuff
after all the beauty of the terrace, bought 2 u by alex P and Wembley high's podigal son, was it's different music

Shine On Amnesia Moon

:p

If you read Mixmag a couple or so months back they had an article about how ibiza was 'discovered' by rampling etc!

Another good book to read is 'Adventures on the wheels of steel' by Dave Haslam all about Hascienda etc

theres a good book called once in a lifetime by jayn busmann which chronicles the early ibiza happenings,u could check that out

Back