hiring a moped bad idea?

baz300

hi

i am thinking of hiring a moped on one of the days that i will be in ibiza

i am staying in san antonio bay

alot of people are saying that it is a bad idea as the roads are mad!

it will be a sober day that iwill hire out the moped, just want to see a bit more of the island than san antonio

i have a full bike licence with 10 years experience and have been driving in norway for the last 3 months so am used to driving on the right

will i be safe enough?

well looking at what you have done.then yes i would get one.sorry to say but it those who really don;t know how to use a bike who suffer.just use your head.look round everywhere.and don;t speed too fast.enjoy the views

You are so okay to rent a scooter! Try a 250 cc - more power when you need it but tame when you want to take it easy. I was a little scared to rent a scooter but I did anyway and loved it. I often would forget an exit, end up in Santa Eulalia or Portinatix when I really meant to go to Ibiza Town, and had a wonderful time riding. Never had to bother anyone for a ride to Benirras or Cala D'Hort!

It is no usually the "other person" that gets the moped riders, More the road surface,
A lot of the older back roads are ,,,,,, errm,,,,, Old (and was not the best when new), The tarmac is worn to a virtual mirror finish and is slippy to say the least (My nissan terrano 4x4 diesel will light the back wheels up in 3rd in places) add the pine snot that is dripping from the trees at the mo and the fact that earlyer in the morning, The dew will be in the shade of the tree`s giving you a wet bit to find half way round the corner, :spank:

Be careful !!!

Have a good one
Tim

It is no usually the "other person" that gets the moped riders, More the road surface,
A lot of the older back roads are ,,,,,, errm,,,,, Old,(and were not good when new) The tarmac is worn to a virtual mirror finish and is slippy to say the least (My nissan terrano 4x4 diesel will light the back wheels up in 3rd in places) add the pine snot that is dripping from the trees at the mo and the fact that earlyer in the morning, The dew will be in the shade of the tree`s giving you a wet bit (think black ice) to find half way round the corner, :spank:

Be careful !!!

Have a good one
Tim

What my group are trying to establish is whether a Moped or Quad will be safer? We would also rather have 2 per vehicle to save on pennies...

A lot of the older back roads are ,,,,,, errm,,,,, Old,(and were not good when new) The tarmac is worn to a virtual mirror finish and is slippy to say the least (My nissan terrano 4x4 diesel will light the back wheels up in 3rd in places) add the pine snot that is dripping from the trees at the mo and the fact that earlyer in the morning, The dew will be in the shade of the tree`s giving you a wet bit (think black ice) to find half way round the corner, :spank:

Be careful !!!

Have a good one
Tim

The road to Benirras was a bit scary but once ridden was easy; the road I took by mistake to Cala Moli was frightening, to say the least. I never experienced any slippage and was riding a fairly new Kymco People 250, and the tires looked barely broken in. Where on the island have you experienced slippery roads and your Terrano lighting up the back wheels in 3rd?

i was thinking about the 250cc or even the 650 supermotos i seen advertised but my mate only has a car licence so wont be much fun if i have to wait for him everywhere

i even considerd a harley for the day but £125 id rather spend on beer!

Where on the island have you experienced slippery roads and your Terrano lighting up the back wheels in 3rd?

Lot`s of places all over the Island, And a very strong warning to everyone, If it rains ( as it did yesterday in Ibiza town) Be very very very very careful, In places it is worse than black ice,

Have a good one
Tim

Ps My Subaru will light up all 4 new Avon ZZ3`s in 3 rd on most of the older roads, I do not take it out in the wet :)

I had to ride in the rain last night (wasn't in the forecast, darn it!) and the streets were indeed slick; my rear tire "lit up" (what a cute saying for a dangerous thing LOL) a few times as well. I would not want to attempt that huge hill near Dalt Vila after it rains for sure! Fun when it's dry, though.

Back