Hierbas

That one AFAIK is just Anise (i.e. not distilled with many other herbs sometimes used in an Anisat base). Honestly, just order some aniseed from Amazon and steep 30g per 750ml bottle in a neutral affordable vodka for 5 days to extract the aromatics from the seeds then strain. You'll get about a 37% alcohol Anise (a little coloured but no issue as you're going to be adding herbs anyway). If you want it sweeter just add some sugar which will reduce the alcohol percentage.

Last edited:
Didn't manage it last year but I've managed to pull it together over the last 3 days ... Hierbas Devonescas 2023 is underway ! 56 species used this year with a few tweaks to the 2021 composition and maybe a couple of late additions if they come into season early. Same 'Mallorcan' method (concentrated 'mother' spirit by infusing in about 35% alcohol off-dry home-made anise base which is then diluted with less potent anise spirit on bottling). It's already smelling divine :twisted: Can't believe I'm still making Hierbas off the 2021 base herbs - they're just recovered in more spirit and the flavour comes through powerfully after a few days (without needing to dilute).

20230919_130124[1] by 103 Alex1, on Flickr

I spent much of the week tasting wine on a tour of Galicia but this sounds way more intriguing! Snakebites and cider (and mad dog 20/30) were as lethal as it got in my Devon years

Back