help! difference between minimal, prog house, deep house and tech house

Hi guys,
I'm fairly new to the genres listed above and i don't really know the differences between them. could someone give me a brief description of the differences please? cheers.

Progressive house is normaly quite melodic , almost similar to trance sometimes. Nick Warren springs to mind.
Minimal is as the name suggests ,made up of fewer elements , less melodic. lots of bleeps and glitchy , wonky sounds. Essentially a type of techno.
Tech house and Deep house now cover quite a broad range. At the techier end you have house and minimal sounds fused together sounding maybe futuristic as opposed to old school funk guitar sounds.
Deep house seems to mean alot of different things to different people so I'll let someone else chime in on that.

Bare in mind that all these sub genre names are abit silly and restrictive as 1 tune may have elements of different genres.

Maybe some examples would be helpful but inevitably someone will say "thats not progressive house" etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Progressive house is normaly quite melodic , almost similar to trance sometimes. Nick Warren springs to mind.
Minimal is as the name suggests ,made up of fewer elements , less melodic. lots of bleeps and glitchy , wonky sounds. Essentially a type of techno.
Tech house and Deep house now cover quite a broad range. At the techier end you have house and minimal sounds fused together sounding maybe futuristic as opposed to old school funk guitar sounds.
Deep house seems to mean alot of different things to different people so I'll let someone else chime in on that.

Bare in mind that all these sub genre names are abit silly and restrictive as 1 tune may have elements of different genres.

Maybe some examples would be helpful but inevitably someone will say "thats not progressive house" etc

prog House used to be more melodic, slower trance - Warren, Sasha & Digweed

now its used to describe Deadmau5 etc - faster than before

prog House used to be more melodic, slower trance - Warren, Sasha & Digweed

now its used to describe Deadmau5 etc - faster than before

It's now used to describe (far more often than not) bad electro / commercial bangers, especially on Beatport. The modern day equivalent of what we used to call "Mainstream".

It's now used to describe (far more often than not) bad electro / commercial bangers, especially on Beatport. The modern day equivalent of what we used to call "Mainstream".

makes my heart bleed
loved Prog when it was Sasha & Digweed, Warren etc

Hi guys,
I'm fairly new to the genres listed above and i don't really know the differences between them. could someone give me a brief description of the differences please? cheers.

Does it really matter? A lot of artists aren't restricted to just one genre and can cross-over from time to time. What matters is if you like the music, not the genre per se :)

Back