Hed Kandi. What do you think?

Rob, interesting question young man, was just thinking of asking the same thing myself :p ;)

Right I am probably going to get slated for saying this on here but I think Hed Kandi is over-rated.

Maybe once every 3 months I would go to a Hed Kandi night, when you're in that mood when you just want to go out hear loads of tunes you know and that's it, but a lot of the time I find it same old same old :rolleyes:

And as for their CDs don't get me on to those, apart from the Back to Love ones I would never buy any of their other releases cos imo they're not that better than the Ministry releases these days :rolleyes: :confused:

At the end of the day they're good at what they do - party chart house music but it's not particularly new or exciting or groundbreaking.

The type of music just doesn't 'excite me'.

It just seems to be all very similar, nothing ground breaking or innovative.

Whereas some albums like unkle - psyence fiction, or laurnet garnier - unreasonable behaviour. Seem to have something cutting edge about them.

The secret about Hed Kandi is that you don't need to have an attitude about the music. Its fun, its happy, its a party. Isn't that what clubbing is all about. I know we all like to keep certain things a special to ourselves, especiallly if a new music genre come out that we love. But Hed Kandi is there purley to please the masses. You go to a Kandi night and you will always come out with a smimle on your face :)

The Hed Kandi and equivalent stuff is OK but I think it is gonna suffer pretty soon as it has basically become pop and the market is completely over saturated.

I am getting tired of going to bars/clubs e.t.c. and hearing the same records !!!

House music and DJ'ing for me is about hearing new music and listening to quality. For me the Hed Kandi sound is equivalent to the some of the stuff knocking about in the charts - music by numbers with little thought.

I think they're in danger of being too commercial :rolleyes:

I don't see the point in the un-mixed CD's at all.

Having said that the last Hed Kandi night at Bed i went to was mindblowing, especially the DJ in the white room.

And if the mix i downloaded last week is actually Hed Kandi live at El Divino, a big thumbs up cos its fricking wicked trust me :p

Think its absolutley brilliant & DJs are soooo nice, always got time to have a chat with you if you go and say Hi.

One of my best nights eva was at Bed with the Saffster & N8

Not sure if we're talking the nights here or the cd's????

The night's are top notch, simply because the crowd kandi have at the gigs are without doubt the best I've ever played to (if not slightly fanatical sometimes).... It's like most things in life, you can please some people some of the time but not all the people all of the time. I've spent most of my clubbing life listening to alledgely "top dj's" pile on pap after pap. Just look at some of the other posts on here. So ok kandi'll play the odd cheesy record every now and then but the majority of crowd love to hear familiar stuff (as it's what gives them a lift and enjoy the night) and I think most people who have been to a hed kandi event have enjoyed it (maybe I'm wrong but I seriously doubt it).

At the end of the day if you want experimental groundbreaking stuff you can go and listen to any amount of dj's who usually have their heads up their own backsides (and that's true cos I've met them). But if you want to party and wear yourself out dancing with a huge smile on your face you can go to kandi and have a drink with any one of us....

I'll get off my soapbox now....

PS if you haven't guessed why I'm ever so slightly biased I won't tell you.

matt collins said:
At the end of the day if you want experimental groundbreaking stuff you can go and listen to any amount of dj's who usually have their heads up their own backsides (and that's true cos I've met them). But if you want to party and wear yourself out dancing with a huge smile on your face you can go to kandi and have a drink with any one of us....

imo you can still party, wear yourself out, and have smile on your face while listening to djs that have their head up their own backsides.

take sasha for example, he rocked pacha this september big stylee. Not heard a bad report about that set yet.

however i agree you probably couldn't go and have a drink with many 'top djs'

I wasn't even mentioning Sasha and have heard him play blinders.... Along with many other top dj's. But have heard a few in the last two years that have just bored me to tears. It happened quite a couple of times in Ibiza this season but this is just my opinion.

I had an excellent time @ Hed Kandi in Ibiza this year (apart from feet hurting when they really wanted to do some crazy moves :rolleyes: )

At the end of the day, its all down to an individuals taste. I personally don't think its overratted (but take into consideration I have only been to 2 of their nights). I do like to go out and hear recognisable songs I can really get into, I must admit it really does lift me and makes my night, and I am a sucker for vocals. But like I say each to their own, we all like different things :p

I have stopped buying the Hed Kandi compilations though.

IBIZALISA said:
At the end of the day, its all down to an individuals taste. I personally don't think its overratted (but take into consideration I have only been to 2 of their nights). I do like to go out and hear recognisable songs I can really get into, I must admit it really does lift me and makes my night, and I am a sucker for vocals. But like I say each to their own, we all like different things :p

That's the point I was trying to make, sometimes I do want to go out an hear songs I know all night and dance my little titties off but I get bored of that all the time.

matt collins said:
In that case what you mean is good things in moderation no?

Yeah that would be good way of summing it up ;) Unfortunately cos you seem to be taking over the world at the moment it's easy to get tired of it and therefore become a bit indifferent to what used to be a damn good night and something you used to look forward to, whereas now can be perceived a bit same as/same as if you go too often.

Babs has a point here. I only get to go to about 1 Kandi event a month :( -but suppose thats good in a way coz I wont get bored of it! As long as the crowd doesnt change and the music policy stays the same it should stay quality (IMO) :p

On a different note - Anyone agree that a HUGE part of HK's success is due to Jason Brooks's artwork on the album covers/posters/flyers etc?

I know that when i bought the first Back to Love album when it came out (having never seen any Jason Brooks art on albums/whatever before) it was the art that drew me to it, then the great songs on it that made me buy it. Then i started to look out for the other new releases/Hed Kandi things with the same type of art as it was so distinctive............

the artwork is class. for me I think the first thing that attracted me to kandi was a chillout track I heard on the radio from one of their compilations.

Have you notice how everyone else is trying to copy the Jason Brooks style artwork. The words band wagon and jumping on come to mind. Just rememeber Hed Kandi was the first, and will always be the best. :D

Back