HE.SHE.THEY. @AMNESIA 2023 - Reviews & Reports

W_I_C

Staff member
Gorgeous day yesterday, so after clocking off for the week the temptation to get in the pool and sink a few drinks proved too irresistible. By the time 21:00 rolled around, I was already beyond half cut so, the only way I was going to salvage a night was to get in and out early or take a risky disco nap and do a late arrival. After getting set-times and confirmed Avalon Emerson was playing peak slot and Overmono closing, I opted for the latter

Got to Amnesia just before 03:00 for the second hour of Avalon's set and it was clear that it wasn't going to be a busy one.

Once through the door, it was immediately evident the Terrace was shut and that HE.SHE.THEY. had been moved into the Main Room (which was supposed to Mar-T and Friends). Although the right hand side of the room had been curtained-off, there was still decent numbers for this configuration and the atmosphere seemed high. Avalon was playing the best Techno I've heard since Time Warp and with the lasers and the dancers, I've got to say it looked amazing. Hard to say what it would've looked like in the Terrace, but I do feel like the Main Room is better for this sound. Strong LGBTQIA presence - maybe as many as 30-40% and definitely a more lenient attitude towards "public displays of affection"

Last 20 minutes of her set, Avalon softened her selections and played a few crowd-pleasers: Gat Decor and a Rapture remix both got plays.

Then quickly the crowd starting thinning.

Overmono started on the new Julio Bashmore track, which I'll be honest I thought was absolute toilet when I first heard it. Sounded a bit better inside a club on a decent sound system. I didn't hate it

During the first hour they played a few of their own tracks and some other nice numbers, but overall it felt a bit disjointed and the ever dwindling numbers zapped the energy in the room

Left at 05:00.

I really like this party and it was a good, if small, crowd. Fridays are just a hard nut to crack with the A-star competition, plus, let's be honest, HE.SHE.THEY. being quite a niche. Having two rooms open this early in summer always did feel a bit ambitious.

I really like this party and it was a good, if small, crowd. Fridays are just a hard nut to crack with the A-star competition, plus, let's be honest, HE.SHE.THEY. being quite a niche. Having two rooms open this early in summer always did feel a bit ambitious.

Like most people, I want this party to be a success. I love what they are doing. However, was slightly surprised they were back at a big venue like Amnesia. You could see HE. SHE. THEY. really working at Club Chinois or a DC10. September might be a better run for them?

It's the age old story that no matter how hot you are in the UK and/or America, it's not a direct translation to Ibiza

Maybe they don't fit that well into the usual Ibiza genres... Got a ticket to see them in Glasgow later in the year, so that will need to do. Double the price of when I was meant to see them last year.

Back