Has the internet ruined traveling?

For example, when I booked a trip on a felucca down the Nile 13 years ago, you had to go walk around and find some group to do it with and barter on the price, or maybe you would get a different deal/ meal depending on who you went with. Now you can pay online and who knows where the money goes? Straight to the guy who takes you on the boat? to some tour operator? sure, maybe that happened before, but not to the same extent.
Perhaps, but at least now you can check ahead of time what the proper cost is and not fork over $300 for a $50 ride!

Perhaps, but at least now you can check ahead of time what the proper cost is and not fork over $300 for a $50 ride!

but see that's the exact problem I'm talking about... OPPOSITE to what you mentioned!

By booking online ,it will be more expensive you will get ripped off and pay MORE!

(btw it was about $25 for 3 days ;))

but isn't a lonely planet or rough guide book exactly the same, albeit just not as sophisticated, as the net.

yeah, you can't book camel trips online but all the details, pictures, reviews, star ratings, etc, etc.........the impact of just how 'new, exotic or different' somewhere else is surely just as lessened by the books.

but isn't a lonely planet or rough guide book exactly the same, albeit just not as sophisticated, as the net.

yeah, you can't book camel trips online but all the details, pictures, reviews, star ratings, etc, etc.........the impact of just how 'new, exotic or different' somewhere else is surely just as lessened by the books.

yes, the experience is still lessened...but you couldn't book anything with the lonely planet.

For certain holidays or short breaks,yes, the internet is great... but for exploration type of travel, not so much.

and in the example that mr. morbyd gave, if you book online, you end up getting ripped off MORE than if you than if you just showed up and the only option was to book when you get there.

To be perfectly honest. I wanted to go to Ibiza this year but the internet has really soured it for me. (Not anyone or anything said on this forum.) Infact I came here purposely to try and re-convince myself to go.

But, like I wanted to go to the parties and had a hyped up Kevin & Perry notion of what it was, until I saw it on youtube and thought "I've actually seen better parties than that here"
To say that, gets a whole lot of "but you've never been so how could you know?" remarks, especially from those who crap on about "How good it used to be."
But isn't seeing believing? I mean, aren't I seeing an actual recording of a real time Ibiza gig? If it looks **** and sounds ****, then, isn't it ****? Not that all of it is like that, I'm sure it's not ALL like that, but, it just haunts me a bit.

For someone whose never travelled, the internet really makes me want to stay at home to be honest.

:eek:

:lol:

(is that for real?)

Well different strokes for different folks I guess!

...conversely, Kevin and Perry made me want to sever my ties with Ibiza forever.

Despite my moans about the place, I've still not found anywhere in the world that compares. Melbourne included...beautiful as the city was! 8)

I'd suggest giving it a go.

so you think 2 minute videos shot on crappy camera phones by some random who is off their tree somehow is in any way representative of what it is actually like clubbing here.

it's worse than me saying "oh i don't wanna see sydney harbour cos i've seen it in pictures and on the TV".

get real.

See thats exactly what I mean. Thats exactly what makes me NOT want to go. If it's so spectacular then why over the internet isn't it? Why do all these youtube videos look crap? It isn't the quality of the film that makes me not want to go, it's the images in them.

I understand theres always more to it than just seeing a **** video of a couple of muntards bopping to minimal. It's always LARGER than you expect, orrrr, theres always more people or the musics louder or better or anything, but what I'm saying is, what the INTERNET as a medium presents to me, as a consumer, makes me not want to buy Ibiza as a tracel destination.

What sells it to me is the myth. The myth of being the capitol of club culture and dance music. Where the world comes together for dance music. What makes me want to go is the challenge of playing to that audience and getting them to move.

What makes me want to go to say, Greece, apart from sexy women, which is want I want to go everywhere for :D, is the history of the Myths. I'd love to see Israel and see the myths of the bible, and China as well. I'd love to travel to Brazil and latin America, even North America. I'd love to travel the world, but no way based on what the internet shows me.
If I watch 2 school boys fighting in a high school yard on Youtube, it doesn't make me want to go to America.
Just like when I see drunks and drugged up party goers bopping to bad music in whats supposed to be some of the best clubs in the world, it doesn't make me want to go.

If I was relying on the internet, I wouldn't want to go anywhere. It does drain so much mystery from everything. How ever, it also creates alot of inspiration.

The internet opens worlds to us we didn't know existed. It allows us to learn about smaller countries we may have never known existed. People from different countries view other countries in different ways and so it allows us to get a fuller global picture.
It even allows us to prepare for culture shock. I love talking to people over seas and learning about how they live and try to imagine myself living like that and how beautiful it would be.

I think it's all about who you ask and why you ask them. Don't ever ask the EDM community anything, ever, because it will never be as good as it ever was, nothing will ever be the same and all that crap :)

The internet, makes me want to travel to other planets... Literally it does. .. **** the world, Space is where it's at ... ... Ibiza should use that as a slogan ;) jk

and in the example that mr. morbyd gave, if you book online, you end up getting ripped off MORE than if you than if you just showed up and the only option was to book when you get there.
No, not true at all!

Reading other's travel experiences online, you would find out that booking online is more expensive. Plus you'd find out what the real going rate is. So when you show up in person you're prepared to haggle properly.

See thats exactly what I mean. Thats exactly what makes me NOT want to go. If it's so spectacular then why over the internet isn't it? Why do all these youtube videos look crap? It isn't the quality of the film that makes me not want to go, it's the images in them.

Are you for real? No video of any club looks good, ones recorded on a mobile phone look even worse that those in films. Its because lets face it all your filming is people in a room dancing, probably not very well either. Its not exactly Oscar winning material is it?

In fact imo Videos from nightclubs should be banned under the UN.

Ok look. Where I come from I see ALOT of girls take photos of themselves at clubs, that, they pose for for **** like Facebook. Theres a difference between that and say, an action shot at a club.

It's not the quality of the film that puts me off. Just, a picture tells a thousand stories, the internet I don't think shows the right pictures. BUT!! Let me be clear, I completely understand that what is seen on the internet and said is ONE persons experience. ONE persons interpretation. If I want to see beautiful Afrika or the Middle East, I don't go and watch a documentary about the wars do I? No, I'll go and watch a travel show that pays close attention to all the wonderful cultures and people.
If I want to go to a clubbing island it's the same. But, I still know the wars, the famines and the **** parties exist. I know that because of the Internets un-sensored publication of media.

Remember, this is about whether THE INTERNET ruins a destination before you go. I think to an extent it does, but, for everything it steals mystery from, it adds imagination to.

So I see 1 **** gig on youtube, who cares? To me that says "well when I get there I can hype that island the **** up and raise the roof higher than what the ****ing internet can", but, I will never know unless I go.

I can read all the mysteries of the ancient greeks and romans and **** on the net, but you'll never get the full story unless it's local. To get local, you gotta go so that you can speak to the elders and **** who, know the stories but don't know the technology and can't publish their **** in a blog.

Everything happens in context. The only way you can understand context is to place yourself in it. The world is beautiful and the internet should start appreciating it instead of sooking about it all the time and actually do something to make it beautiful in it's physical existance instead of making another ****ing face book group about how **** it is, just to support the knowledge that we all know how **** it is.

That's not inspiring.

You tube videos are not inspiring. Glamorous web pages with a M.O.S sound track are not exciting. DOCUMENTARIES are exciting. The history of where ever it is you want to go is exciting. Knowledge is exciting. The internet might have all the knowledge of the universe, but it has a retarded way of presenting it.

Tv is still my education of choice ;)

harryhill_fight.jpg

i like the internet as a guide to things I might do when Im on holiday, I rarely do anything :eek: but I like to think I have my options opened. I thought it was great for my first trip to ibiza last year, my friend and I where able to go and see what clubs we thought where the best ones to try and get to and also what we could do during the day if we felt like it. The only thing I don't like is the hotel reviews, esp when you have booked a hotel already and then read the reviews and think oh no why :lol:. All I can say is things look alot different than what they do on Youtube, all you see is a graney picture with the person standing closet to the phone talking and the beat of the music, when you get there you will notice the dancers, the dj, the smoke, the atmosphere, doesn't compare

LET MORTAL KOMBAT BEGIN! MOOOOOOORRRRRRRRTTTTTTTALLLL
KOOOOMBATTT :)

and the music starts :)

Starry19840: Ages ago I saw videos of, decent quality with Djs and everything, it didn't look THAT good. But thing is, its not the quality, its the representation. I've got videos of the gigs I throw on youtube aswell, taken from my mobile phone, and yes they look ****.

The point im trying to say is, ok, for example. If you watch a video of an innocent person getting murdered in cold blood, it's grainy, but clear, you wouldn't say it's not a horrific event because the quality of the footage is bad. Some people would kick up their heels and say "it could have been faked", and I think it would be those same people saying "It's not as good as it used to be." .. Point is, the actions taking place in the footage, the capturing of that past event as it happend in the atmosphere that surrounded it, the images and capture of the molecules and atoms that were present at that time, present a horrific event taking place.

The Camera man for the terrorist films of the people they take captive isn't exactly in line for a Oscar award or what ever it is is he? Its not the quality of the image his camera takes that makes it dramatic, it's the events taking place. It's what the lens see's. If the lens captures a bunch of drunks who look, boring, then thats whats happening.

But as I said, thats 1 lens. I think people need to try things for themselves.

LET MORTAL KOMBAT BEGIN! MOOOOOOORRRRRRRRTTTTTTTALLLL
KOOOOMBATTT :)

and the music starts :)

Starry19840: Ages ago I saw videos of, decent quality with Djs and everything, it didn't look THAT good. But thing is, its not the quality, its the representation. I've got videos of the gigs I throw on youtube aswell, taken from my mobile phone, and yes they look ****.

The point im trying to say is, ok, for example. If you watch a video of an innocent person getting murdered in cold blood, it's grainy, but clear, you wouldn't say it's not a horrific event because the quality of the footage is bad. Some people would kick up their heels and say "it could have been faked", and I think it would be those same people saying "It's not as good as it used to be." .. Point is, the actions taking place in the footage, the capturing of that past event as it happend in the atmosphere that surrounded it, the images and capture of the molecules and atoms that were present at that time, present a horrific event taking place.

The Camera man for the terrorist films of the people they take captive isn't exactly in line for a Oscar award or what ever it is is he? Its not the quality of the image his camera takes that makes it dramatic, it's the events taking place. It's what the lens see's. If the lens captures a bunch of drunks who look, boring, then thats whats happening.

But as I said, thats 1 lens. I think people need to try things for themselves.

Stop talking bollocks. You'd give an asprin a ****ing headache.

Ibiza is Great. Go and find out.

If you don't want to, stop antagonising people on "IBIZA Spotlight".

It's a fruitless enterprise which will only result in your ridicule.

Back