Hardcore In Ibiza ????!!!!

J

Jimmy A

Hi - I know the word hardcore may be swearing to some of you, but I'm just after a bit of advice.

I used to play out hardcore during the nineties - I was no great shakes but I managed to get gigs alongside names like Sy, Slipmatt, Vibes & Livelee, so I must have been alright!

I was as surprised as anyone to hear of hardcore's reported resurgence, and I've noticed that there is even a hardcore night in my home town of Leeds (which there never was when I was DJIng!)

Now, having never been to Ibiza, and having decided that I'm off for the summer, I've decided that I'm going to take a bag of records along.

For the last couple of years I bought a fair bit of the Subliminal style house, and techy house, and I like that.

But what should I do? - Do I stick with what I was successful at at the highlight (ahem!) of my DJing career, (ie bring hardcore), or do I try to compete in areas where there is undoubtedly a surfeit of newer (and probably better) talent (ie new modern house music)

PS - the sort of hardcore I would be playing would either be old skool stuff from 92, or banging bouncy techno stuff from 1995-98 (my two favourite styles)

Would there be any call for it? and what are my chances of getting a job?

Thanks!! :D

deja vu maybe at es paradis this year and you my be able get some slots down the west end for old skool.

imho ditch the hardcore chum. bottom line it just aint 92' anymore, i aint got me curtains anymore and if hardcore is making a come back ill be staying well clear. sorry just my opinion. ;)

I suspect Robo may be right in that it wouldn't be a surprise to hear old skool in various bars around the west end, I'm sure you will be able to pick up the odd gig there. I've met so many djs in ibiza who all bring out the same 20 records that everyone else has and wonder why no-one is interested. Try Ancient People in denbossa as i've heard the widest array of tunes there.

good luck matey

Apart from Deja Vu, Nitelife is probably your best bet. It's at the bottom of the West End, Slipmatt played there often last summer. Just check the posters outside.

joe

yoou carnt go wrong with a bit of hardcore--> now and again!!!! it has to be hardcore classics!!!!! not this new---> Trance core!!!!! which some people are calling it!!!!

For hardcore, you can better head off to Lloret de Mar (Costa del Sol I think) where the Dutch hardcore/gabber scene is during summer...

btw hardcore is making a come back here too! :twisted:

<<Nico>> said:
For hardcore, you can better head off to Lloret de Mar (Costa del Sol I think) where the Dutch hardcore/gabber scene is during summer...

Nico, do you still get the Mysteryland events in The Netherlands???

I travelled to Utrecht for the Winter Mysteryland in 1996 as it was on my Birthday - Had a brill night, if not a bit mental and met some top people... I think it was in a place called Jaarbeurs - would that be right

Cheers

Mark

markEg said:
<<Nico>> said:

Nico, do you still get the Mysteryland events in The Netherlands???

I travelled to Utrecht for the Winter Mysteryland in 1996 as it was on my Birthday - Had a brill night, if not a bit mental and met some top people... I think it was in a place called Jaarbeurs - would that be right

Cheers

Mark

Yes! -> the website But is has changed of format... It's now a daytime festival (no winter edition anymore) and it hosts now all dance styles except hardcore (where it all started with in the first place). :evil: Except for a little industrial area hosted by Third Movement and a big 'hardstyle' (a weak ripp-off from hardcore) area. So it's has changed over the years. But I went last year and it was fantastic!

The next edition will be the 23rd of August with tents hosted by Cocoon 8), Subliminal and many more...

But in October or so the next edition of Thunderdome will be held in Amsterdam so that's the place to be for hardcore-fans. Last year it was 10 Years Thunderdome...great party, with great music and a terrific atmosphere!

Cheers for the info Nico - I've been to a Thunderdome event too - in Rotterdam - think it was in '97 or '98...

I'd love to come over for this event in Amsterdam - although I no longer listen to Hardcore over here - the scene totally died a death some time ago - it's a bit different in Holland - people really respect that music.

I remember when I was in the Virgin Megastore in Amsterdam there was a gabber song (F**k the Macarena) at number 4 in the charts - bizarre!!!

Won't be able to make the Summer Mysteryland but hmmm... I really do fancy flying over for T'dome - where in Amsterdam is it held??

Cheers

markEg said:
Cheers for the info Nico - I've been to a Thunderdome event too - in Rotterdam - think it was in '97 or '98...

I'd love to come over for this event in Amsterdam - although I no longer listen to Hardcore over here - the scene totally died a death some time ago - it's a bit different in Holland - people really respect that music.

I remember when I was in the Virgin Megastore in Amsterdam there was a gabber song (F**k the Macarena) at number 4 in the charts - bizarre!!!

Won't be able to make the Summer Mysteryland but hmmm... I really do fancy flying over for T'dome - where in Amsterdam is it held??

Cheers

Last time Thunderdome was in the Heineken Music Hall, next to the Amsterdam Arena where footballclub Ajax plays. This Hall has an incredible sound system, you should check it out!

Last year I went to Inox, a club in San An. They played hardstyle mosly, but at the and it was hardcore. It was on a friday night. The party was called STORM. It was not very crowded, but I had a very good night.

Owen said:
Last time Thunderdome was in the Heineken Music Hall, next to the Amsterdam Arena where footballclub Ajax plays. This Hall has an incredible sound system, you should check it out!

Last Thunderdome (a decade) was in the Amsterdam RAI (just like Shockers, Innercity etc.). But HMH indeed has great acoustics!

Right thats it - I'm gonna try and round up some mates to come with me for a long weekend in Holland to check out this Thunderdome night - is Midtown records still on the go in Amstersdam??

Thats where we got our tickets for the other events we went to - and would you guys reckon we'll need to but them in advance???

Nico and Owen - r u both going to it this year?? If you are it would be really cool to meet up beforehand :)

I'll keep you posted on our plans

Cheers

Mark

Yeah, it is a while I suppose - still the whole summer to get through first :D

Once again, thanx for the info...

Back