Haiti Earthquake

Morbyd

Been following this since yesterday, but it's pretty hard to follow given the total destruction of their already meager infrastructure. Only thing that's clear is a lot of people died and a lot more lost everything.

I spent a short spell doing volunteer work with wayward Haitian immigrant youth when I lived in Boston (not sure why there was such a large population there). Generally good kids with tough backgrounds.

Haiti really is an embarrassment to N. America. A country that poor right off the US coast. Seems like we could have figured out a way to help it develop that didn't involve simple bandages like peacekeepers and aid workers.

Always had a soft spot for a nation founded by a successful slave rebellion. Gotta respect that.

Been following this since yesterday, but it's pretty hard to follow given the total destruction of their already meager infrastructure. Only thing that's clear is a lot of people died and a lot more lost everything.

I spent a short spell doing volunteer work with wayward Haitian immigrant youth when I lived in Boston (not sure why there was such a large population there). Generally good kids with tough backgrounds.

Haiti really is an embarrassment to N. America. A country that poor right off the US coast. Seems like we could have figured out a way to help it develop that didn't involve simple bandages like peacekeepers and aid workers.

Always had a soft spot for a nation founded by a successful slave rebellion. Gotta respect that.

yeah, saw that on TV this morning a real tragedy, letys hope they get the help they need and fast. One thing I have always wondered about Haiti is why they havent gone down the tourism route like their next door neighbours and other islands/nations in the area (apologies if I display a high degree of ignorance with this question)

horrible. i guess most of us take for granted that this type of thing will never affect our lives in such a devastating way.

it almost seems like the whole country has been completely wiped out. :cry::cry:

What's worse, aside from mass deaths, this disaster appears to have nearly decapitated the country's leadership. The president is still alive (although his residence is in ruins), but the head of the Senate, the Archbishop, the head of the UN mission - all among the dead. The parliament building collapsed so who knows how many more leaders perished... just when the country is really going to need some leadership.

... us-army finally on a USEFUL mission
24qjmrl.gif

I had to turn over the other night, heartbreaking scenes.

Makes you want to jump on a plane to help in any way possible:cry:

Back