Good Luck Obama...

:lol: Funny stuff!

Anyone watch the inauguration? I thoroughly enjoyed it. Nearly in tears at points. I hope he lives up to our hopes and expectations, because he's barely put a foot wrong thus far and I remain totally impressed.

:lol: Funny stuff!

Anyone watch the inauguration? I thoroughly enjoyed it. Nearly in tears at points. I hope he lives up to our hopes and expectations, because he's barely put a foot wrong thus far and I remain totally impressed.

amazing viewing the whole thing. Was hooked all afternoon. Pretty moving seeing some of the crowd's reactions and the reaction in Kenya. We've lost that in England - that ability to believe in politicians - in large part, because the kind of people we get -Osborne, Mandelson, Brown, Darling are mediocre, inept snakes at the best of times (utter kunts to a man)

Obama's cut from different cloth - an utterly brilliant orator with a gift for rhetoric and someone you really will to win

... but the tragedy is, a hell of a lot of people in that crowd are gonna end up sorely disappointed because, contrary to media hysteria, he isn't superman...

Are people happy cause he got in ? Or that Bush is out ? Does anyone think he is gong to be any better than the last 43 knob end`s ?

Olly, I don't think that is entirely fair. Obama is (so far) a unique politician. I can't think of many in recent history, on either side of the Atlantic, that have his broad appeal and sheer flair for soaring, inspiring rhetoric. To me, he is an intellectual liberal who talks about the issues I care about most. I'd wager a fair bet that people with different views to me are also hearing what they wish to hear.

I'm a liberal Tory by inclination, but I honestly believe in Brown's integrity and desire. Ok, he isn't as glam as Obama but so what. Osborne, Cameron, Davis, Cable... (the same) I think we should give them a bit more credit than we currently do.

However, maybe we dont have such rhetorically inspiring politicians in this country because we are collectively more cynical... Can you imagine a UK politician (aside from NI freak religious nuts) making so many references to God? The appeal to transcendence today was pretty remarkable, which says quite a bit about US self image to me.

Think of the appeals to the ideals of the founders of the USA... such powerful mythology. What would we say in the UK? We are collectively embarrased about our Imperial history!

Horses for courses and all that!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish Obama well, I really do,would have voted for him myself if I was a us citizen.
However I do feel a bit uncomfortable with all the god (raises eyes) stuff, not saying he does'nt believe it,but he sure would not have got there without saying it.
I myself love supernatural fairytales,and I always believe yesterdays tabloid headlines....

thing is, if he just reverses what bush has done, then he'll be a very successful leader.....i think he'll do much more than that. there are some things like the economic meltdown and middle east peace that nobody can truly expect him to sort out through decisions of government.

love the quote in that rant....."judo christian".........never heard of that particular sporting branch of the church:lol:

"karism, big pimpin, mac daddy pimpin and now he's pimpin hilary clinton"

Are people happy cause he got in ? Or that Bush is out ? Does anyone think he is gong to be any better than the last 43 knob end`s ?

aye yon Lincoln was a right knob end
imagine getting rid of slavery :rolleyes:

plenty of US presidents have been exceptional people and brilliant leaders
don't taint them with the Gomer Pyle that just departed

I reckon he must be confident in what he can acheive, as he appears far too intelligent to promise too much and be labelled a failure.

Good luck to him, as long as he buys what he sells and isn't afraid to be accountable for the inevitable mistakes all politicians make - then what more can you realistically expect from a politician?

And maybe the fact he isn't tied into one of the great old money dynasties of the US, he can make decisions which are uninfluenced by external interests..

Go on son, show us whatcha got!

lets hope we will elect a leader on the basis of his vision for the country and intellect rather than based on gender, race or class.

I agree, no one wants a white over privileged tory bloke running tings..:lol:

well he would make you aware theres an "h" in "things" :lol:;)

anyway, best bit of speech for me was...

"What is required of us now is a new era of responsibility - a recognition, on the part of every American, that we have duties to ourselves, our nation, and the world, duties that we do not grudgingly accept but rather seize gladly, firm in the knowledge that there is nothing so satisfying to the spirit, so defining of our character, than giving our all to a difficult task. "

well he would make you aware theres an "h" in "things" :lol:;)

anyway, best bit of speech for me was...

"What is required of us now is a new era of responsibility - a recognition, on the part of every American, that we have duties to ourselves, our nation, and the world, duties that we do not grudgingly accept but rather seize gladly, firm in the knowledge that there is nothing so satisfying to the spirit, so defining of our character, than giving our all to a difficult task. "

I bet old Obama could persuade the missus to do anything he wants...:lol:

thing is on the god thing, reading his book he bangs on about shared morals etc however i dont recall him at any time saying he believes in christian god - i'm convinced he is athiest (unless someone knows otherwise) & manages to use clever language to get away with it (which is fine by me btw).

policy wise he will not be massively different to bush, it is the way he goes about business that interests me. the consensus building, the acceptance of your own weakness & ignorance. if that could echo through american society it would create an attitude change & the policy changes would be over generations. maybe.

don't expect anything to happen on israel, iraq or iran that would be massively different & his fiscal hands are pretty much tied anyway.

Ehhhhh... who stands out? lol :?:

imo, Cameron does. He's said all along that the problem is that the Banks arent lending, and now the govt has decided to underwrite loans months after the Tories suggested a National Loan Guarantee scheme... Jobs are being lost because businesses are finding it hard to get credit. so rather than borrowing £12bn on funding a VAT cut, why not spend that things that will safeguard or create jobs?

Brown, all he ever does is go on about a global problem and accusing the Tories of doing nothing. and harping back to the recession of the 1990s. I dont remember there being so much doom back then as there is now. he's virtually nationalised the Banks, yet they still not lending.

VAT CUT? has done **** all - if you aint got money to spend, and fear that youre losing your job, you hardly likely to spend the money on **** you dont need.

im sorry, but when you end up spending more than you bring in, the last thing any debt councillor will say is NOT BORROW ANY MORE MONEY! - if that can apply to personal personal debt, why should it be any different for govt?

the whole of the last decade was fuelled by a debt bubble which the govt thought it could manage. its now gone pop, and we're in deep ****e.

Nick Clegg forget it, you hear more from Vince Cable than you do him.

Back