Goa

Hello :lol:

Mark is the resident Goan expert so he will be able to give you lots of advice but my thoughts for what they are worth :lol:

If you've only gt 5 days, definitely spend them in North Goa - there's a lot more to see and do and it's got a lot more character than the South imo, which I personally found quite sterile. Palolem (which is probably the main tourist area) is just an identikit backpacker resort, you could have been in Haad Rin or Sihanoukiville for all the Goan charm that remains there.

My favourite place to base ourselves is Little Vagator, which is a laid-back village with lots of character. One of the reasons we love it here (which will be of no interest to you :lol:;)) is that it's home to one of the best vegetarian restaurants I've ever eaten at (Bean Me Up). There's also some pretty decent nightlife. On Sundays just outside the village at Hill Top there is a big outdoor Goan trance rave - even if the music isn't your bag it's a fantastic way to spend an afternoon and evening dancing outside. It costs about 50 rupee (75p) to get in and that includes a free 2 litre bottle of water:lol: It's open from 2-10pm if my memory serves me correctly and it attracts all kinds of weird and wonderful characters.

In Vagator itself, there is also a place called Nine Bar - which is an outdoor bar/club on the edge of the cliff so you get the most stunning sunsets while you have a bit of a boogie. It's free to get in - sometimes there will just be a handful of people there and sometimes it's like a full on rave, it's a good place to start the evening regardless with a couple of Kingfishers.

For other nightlife just keep an ear to the ground, there's often things going in Anjuna and Arambol so if you want that side of things, it's easy to find it.

Other things you must do:

Duduhsagar Falls - DON'T go on a tour as you'll get there with the masses and it will be like Picadilly Circus, hire your own driver, get him to pick you up ridiculously early (think we got picked up about 5.30/6am) and it's about a 90 minute drive there, but by beating the tours you get the place to yourself and can swim in the water and under the waterfalls

Anjuna Market - This is a huge market on every Wednesday which attracts traders from all over India, Irina will absolutely love it - it's heaven for stocking up on dresses, accessories etc etc - I literally fill half a rucksack full of stuff up :lol: Anything else you want to buy (spices, house stuff etc etc) you can get here and it's all so ridiculously cheap - make sure you barter for everything (that's Tom's job :lol:) Get there about 3pm, spend a few hours wandering around as it's got so much character, then finish off at one of the bars (Shore Bar is good) for sunset and dinner

There is also another market on Saturdays but it was shut due to the Mumbai terrorist attackst the first time we were there and our flight arrived too late the last time, Mark will know the name and that's meant to be similar to Anjuna

Hire a bike/driver to take you to different beaches - our favourite is Mandrem which is always deserted (save for a few cows :lol:) but I'd suggested heading up to the top to Arambol and work your way down and finding your favourite

Yoga class - Not sure if it's yours/Irina's bag but if you like yoga, do a class before breakfast - you'll see classes advertised all over the place and you can just drop in

Old Goa - Spend an afternoon/evening in Old Goa - there's a lot of stunning architecture and history to the place and then eat out there in the evening

Dolphin watching - What's not to like about spending half a day on a boat watching dolphins and drinking Kingfisher - you can arrange this from any beach

Goa is fantastic - excellent food (very little or no meat I'm afraid if you go to traditional Goan restaurants :lol:;)), cheap beer (a 600ml bottle of Kingfisher will set you back about 50-60 rupees) and the people are superfriendly (most will try and sell you something initially) but they also love talking to people - if you like cricket they will talk to you all day, Tom always had a gang of boys wanting to talk the IPL with him, and football is pretty big over there as well so they love to talk about the Premiership.

I'm sure I've missed loads of stuff off but hopefully that will give you a starter for 10 :D

I went last year mate and loved it.

We stayed in the south at Palolem & Agonda.

Ciarans on Palolem beach is an amazing place to stay but Palolem can get quite busy and touristy. There are loads of good places to eat on the beach.

http://www.ciarans.com/palolemacc.html

Agonda is deserted by comparison and most of the time it was only Erin, Me and some Cows on the beach.

We stayed here in North Goa (near Ashwem / Mandrem) http://www.yabyumresorts.com/goa-ashwem-beach-eco-resort/gallery.html

You get an amazing breakfast with fresh bread, eggs, juice, fruit... mmmm my mouth's watering just thinking about it!!

Like others have said, not much meat to be found in Goa. However we did have the most amazing steak on our last night in Ashwem. I've been trying to find the name of the restaurant but having trouble. But you can find meat if you look hard enough!

You say there isnt much meat but I ate chicken or lamb most nights!

But then Palolem is really just geared up for tourists so the menus reflect that, in more traditional areas and restaurants you'd find either none or very little meat on the menu at all.

That looks gorgeous Bec - I would definitely like to stay in Mandren next time we go to Goa for at least some of the time as it's so beautiful and chilled up there.

It really was beautiful and tranquil, and that resort was lovely. A few metres stroll to the beach (which was always practically empty) and the breakfast was just lush, brought out to your cottage / pod every morning freshly cooked.

We stayed in a pod which was amazing, the only one downside was they have a cockrel in the resport (loads of animals wandering around) and obviously it started crowing at 6am every morning! The pod walls are straw so you hear every sqwark :spank: Fine if you're living a wholesome holiday getting up early for a bit of yoga on the beach etc, but we stayed there over NYE, and we weren't getting in til 4am on a couple of nights :eek: I was about to string up the bl00dy bird and cook it for dinner one morning :lol:

From what little research I've done, I was looking at staying up near Anjuna.

My issue is that I don't like being out in a tiny village or the middle of nowhere. I like to have city or town nearby... like walking distance if possible.

On the flip-side, I would like to be near a good beach.

Any of these locales fit that bill?

And is it worth renting a car?

(thanks for all the tips, by the way! :))

My issue is that I don't like being out in a tiny village or the middle of nowhere. I like to have city or town nearby... like walking distance if possible.

Hmm, well Goa is basically one big beach! If you look at the map it runs all the way down one coast of India, so wherever you stay you'll be near a beach.

You need to decide whether you want to experience real Goa - which is tranquil, beautiful, relaxing and hedonistic, or tourist Goa - which is still beautiful, but busy with cool bars and busy restaurants.

Avoid Baga and Calungute like the plague - it's like Benidorm, Goan style. Although these will be the busiest resorts if you want a city/town (although nothing in Goa is really big enough to be called a city).

We also stayed in Benaulim which is more in the middle. It's about a 20min walk to Colva which is busier and has some fancy bars and restaurants. benaulim itself is a beautiful resort with mainly beach huts, a few local shops and some AMAZING fish restaurants.

If you're thinking Goa is going to be like Ibiza, it's not - well, not anywhere that I'd recommend anyway. The whole point of being in Goa is that your holiday is stripped back and more natural.

Oh and no, I wouldnt suggest hiring a car. The roads are paved with stray dogs, locals pushing bananas along in a trolly or donkeys pulling carts (at least they were whehn I went!). It's mainly quite a rural place. If anything grab a couple of mopeds and zoom around the villages (slowly!).

Here's some info on the two villages: http://www.neoncarrot.co.uk/h_recommended/places_to_go_goa/colva_rec.html

Last edited by a moderator:

I'd say Anjuna will pretty much meet your requirements, it's by no stretch a town (there aren't really any towns up the coast) but the beach is pretty good, there's loads of places to eat and drink and as mentioned the market is a must do. It's also a good base to explore other beaches and areas (we have walked from Vagator to Anjuna a few times in under half an hour and it's under 20 minutes by car to the likes of Mandrem).

I wouldn't recommend hiring a car, there are cows wandering all over the roads so unless you are experienced in avoiding cows on roads I would avoid). You can hire a driver for the day who will take you anywhere for just a few £s and you'll also get a lot of useful knowledge from them.

Hmm, well Goa is basically one big beach! If you look at the map it runs all the way down one coast of India, so wherever you stay you'll be near a beach.
I know Goa is all beachfront... I said a good beach :)
And no, obviously don't expect anything like Ibiza.

I'm not interested in being stuck in a tourist trap. I'd like to see the "real Goa" (with a certain level of creature comfort). But I'm not a "switch off" kind of person. I need some action around.

So, I'm getting a mixed message here. Benaulim, Palolem, Agonda in the South. Anjuna, Mandrem, Vagator in the North. What's the real difference here?

Point well taken re: cars.

RE: cuisine. Everyone's mentioned the lack of meat, but everything I've read says there's plenty of great seafood. Correct?

I know Goa is all beachfront... I said a good beach :)
And no, obviously don't expect anything like Ibiza.

I'm not interested in being stuck in a tourist trap. I'd like to see the "real Goa" (with a certain level of creature comfort). But I'm not a "switch off" kind of person. I need some action around.

So, I'm getting a mixed message here. Benaulim, Palolem, Agonda in the South. Anjuna, Mandrem, Vagator in the North. What's the real difference here?

Point well taken re: cars.

RE: cuisine. Everyone's mentioned the lack of meat, but everything I've read says there's plenty of great seafood. Correct?

I'll break it down for you:

Benaulim - authentic, village-y, great seafood, great beach, beach shacks/bars, Small amount of Western tourists. 20mins walk to:

Colva - slightly more upmarket, bigger hotels/resorts, shops, fancy beach bars. Variable amount of Western tourists

Anjuna - One of the busiest resorts as the most well known. Established hotels / restaurants / markets etc. Decent beach but one of the busiest too (although busy here is nothing compared to busy in Europe!). Lots of nightlife options.

Vagator - very hippy-fied, beautiful beach with a handful of good bars and restaurants - but lots of stray dogs! Quiet in terms of Western tourists but you will get a lot of hippies banging their drums on the beach :lol: Only a 5min taxi to Anjuna

Mandrem / Ashwem - very quiet and chilled, lots of yoga retreats, secluded clean and massive beaches. Limited bars / restaurants, most of the ones there will be veggie / fish and quite eco-friendly. It's a haven for eco-warriors but also heaven if you want to totally chill.

Didn't go to Palolem.

Baga / Calungute VERY busy with Western tourists, but again, the most established resorts in Goa for fancy hotels and bars.

And amazing seafood EVERYWHERE!! Especially in the smaller resorts where the fishermen actually catch it in front of you and bring the fish wriggling into the restaurant, then you choose which one you want. Can't get fresher than that!

Wherever you stay in Goa it's a very cheap taxi ride away to the next town. I personally wouldn't advise too much walking around on your own at night, simply because of the stray dog problems there (we got chased a few times!).

Goa is amazing though, you can't not like it.

Exactly as Bec said - couldn't have summed it up better :lol:

If you want more of the 'real Goa' then anywhere north of Anjuna fits that bill. If you want to have a bit more civilisation then Anjuna would fit all your requirements. But you can easily hop from one beach/village to another with minimum effort. As I said we've spent quite a bit of time basing ourselves in Vagator but have spent a lot of time at all the other beaches north of it - you can stay overnight in a hut for a few rupees even if have a base elsewhere.

Loads of great advice on here for you Morbs from Babs and Becki!

My take on Goa is this:

• Book a hotel stay somewhere central which acts as your base- ie Sinquerim, Anjuna, Calangute, Baga, Baga Creek (some of these are v touristy as Becki pointed out). Big range from the 5* Taj resorts to the boutiques and flea pits.
  • Travel each day to the places you want to visit (Taxi and public transport is very cheap) if you're central you can go north and south very easily.
  • Arambol and Morjim beaches were my favourites (you can stay overnight here for buttons)
  • There are some great restaurants in Goa - Fiesta in Baga (despite it's cheesy name is amazing) and JJ's in Baga Creek was very impressive food wise.
  • The capital Panjim, is dissappointing for a night out. But good for a day trip.
  • Best nights out are the open air markets full of live music Djs and food!
I love Goa, got married there and would probably live there if i could.Goans are very friendly and warm, I still write to a family I met there last time who invited us to their home for supper. (in fact i paid for one of the daughters weddings last week -probably why they are so friendly haha).

Lots of Russians there, particularly in Morjim and Panjim.

You'll love it. 8)

Big thanks, Becs, Babs and Marc
I shall be sorting myself out sometime this coming week.
Lots of Russians there, particularly in Morjim and Panjim.
I know! Lots of people around here love the place. I even have friends who've gone there for months of "downshifting", although Bali seems to have become the new hotspot for that.

I went last year mate and loved it.

We stayed in the south at Palolem & Agonda.

Ciarans on Palolem beach is an amazing place to stay but Palolem can get quite busy and touristy. There are loads of good places to eat on the beach.

http://www.ciarans.com/palolemacc.html

Agonda is deserted by comparison and most of the time it was only Erin, Me and some Cows on the beach.

Have we had this conversation before?

Been to Agonda twice. Love it love it love it.

A hammock and a fresh juice after my goan breky and all is well with the world. Cows behind me and dolphins visible on the horizon.8)

Depends what kind of trip you are after - we wanted total chill - Agonda was perfect. Palolem was good, although as barbie says a bit typical traveller.

I've not been to the north but heard its like blackpool in the sun, with massive drug scene, russian hookers and rum blokes from the east end. Tho i'm sure barbie found the decent bit!

Second old Goa, stunning old churches.

I also as I think we may have chatted about, went to Kerala on my own avec backpack to Allepay, Munnar and Cochin. Double treble 8)

I love india and can't wait to one day get back. Lots of pics on my facebook John. Any questions message me.

Back