Global Gathering 2013

Haha, I'm so used to the prices of stuff in Ibiza that anything over here doesn't seem so bad.

£2 for a can of beer is expensive? From a licensed bar with humans working on it?

£2 for a can of warm Gaymers is expensive, yes! Compared to any other festival going it was a rip off. Apparently I picked a bad year, but there you go. £2 for a single, or £40 for the whole crate of 20 was a joke I thought. Especially when most festivals will allow you to take your own. Wouldn't have had a problem paying that in the arenas, but having to pay that all weekend long wasn't the best, especially considering the volume of drink that gets put away over a festival weekend.

We're doing a big Makro run before Bestival in a few weeks. 24 pint cans for around £20-25 is much more like it.

It's a massive pain that you have to buy booze in there, but it's part of the license GG have from the police for use of Stratford airfield. Can still sneak vodka in though thankfully.

£2 for a can of warm Gaymers is expensive, yes! Compared to any other festival going it was a rip off. Apparently I picked a bad year, but there you go. £2 for a single, or £40 for the whole crate of 20 was a joke I thought. Especially when most festivals will allow you to take your own. Wouldn't have had a problem paying that in the arenas, but having to pay that all weekend long wasn't the best, especially considering the volume of drink that gets put away over a festival weekend.

We're doing a big Makro run before Bestival in a few weeks. 24 pint cans for around £20-25 is much more like it.

Really? Glastonbury, Lovebox, Field Day, Bestival and V are all £4-ish for a beer from memory.

It was £4.50 for a pint of Gaymers at glastonbury this year, it wasn't that cold and the paper pint pots make it go flat really quick.

£2 a can is far better value.

I also think that line ups pretty decent as an overall line up. Plan B, Disclosure and Rudimental are all pretty big acts!

What I mean is that it works out a lot over a weekend because you can't take your own at all. At other festivals you can take a couple of crates, bottles of spirits, then you're only paying the bar prices in the arenas, at the festivals that don't let you take your own between the campsites and other areas.

Yes, £2 a can is cheap for drinking in the arenas, but not so much when it's just them buying £15 crates, and charging £25 on top just to store it (not chilled) and pass it over the bar to you.

But as Ikoda said, if that's what it takes for them to license it then that's what they've gotta do. It seemed steep and was one of the many things that we didn't enjoy about the festival.

I do remember buying a crate when we did GG 2011, and that the gaymers was so very, very warm.

Its pretty easy to take your own alcohol in though, I took in a 12 pack Kronenburg in a tesco carrier bag last year! Alternatively, you can go out and back in again, so nothing stopping you going out to your car and drinking there, which if you are staying VIP means you wont have far to walk at all!

Personally, I think it's a great line up. And myself and Ben are already plotting a 'Transcend does Global' style trip. Really looking forward to it, as I'll almost certainly be giving Ibiza a miss in 2013.

I appreciate the point about the so-called big names that are missing. But, from a trance perspective at least, I'm not sure those guys are the 'be all and end all'. As much as I love Armin, I've seen him so many times of late. Above & Beyond, I think most serious trance fans are completely bored of. Van Dyk, great - but do we even see him at many UK festivals anymore? I think most trance fans would agree that Markus Schulz has pushed himself into that 'big gun' category and he's a big draw for GG. To me, it's the trance line up for real trance fans.

And alongside good names like Andy Moor, Heatbeat, Simon Patterson, Jordan Suckley etc., you've got some good innovations this year. Splitting the likes of Emery, W&W and Arty from the Aly & Filas and John O'Callaghans. And then there's Infected Mushroom, which is such a great idea. Can't wait to see them!! They alone make up for the utter crap that is on the main stage.

From a non-trance side, there's still people I would love to see. Coxy, Digweed, Yousef ... even Sander Van Doorn is tucked away there as a special guest.

I was there for 2009 and I remember how **** the queuing situation was. We went VIP and thankfully, avoided that. I hear it's been better in subsequent years. We will see.

Van Dyk plays Creamfields every year and has his own tent at SW4....... Much prefer the SW4 line-up this year , looking forward to seeing Armin,PvD,Carl Cox & Loco Dice b2b , Mark Knight,Solomun, Simon Patterson ! very strong line up

Van Dyk plays Creamfields every year and has his own tent at SW4....... Much prefer the SW4 line-up this year , looking forward to seeing Armin,PvD,Carl Cox & Loco Dice b2b , Mark Knight,Solomun, Simon Patterson ! very strong line up

Totally with you on that one!

Lowered video bit rate is a bit annoying, it's also running 15 minutes behind stage time now. Storm over Stratford took their satellite link out so it seems they're running behind now.

I've not watched any of it until now just been listening. Gash Berlin dancing round like a loon and writing messages for the crowd with his ipad. What a knob head. Then playing his tripe version of As the Rush Comes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm watching it now. I don't mind Dash at the very end of the night if I'm in a mood to sing. But I'm not tonight. Haha.

That remix of As The Rush Comes is horrible.

Chris Liebing has actually gone so far as to apologize for the sound levels being so low as to make as good as pointless for a Techno set. Definitely glad I didn't bother going now ;)

[h=5]Chris Liebing (Official)
[/h][h=5].. the moment when u turn down your stage monitors and realize that U can hear the crowd talking...
well, thanks for those who hung with me till the end at Global Gathering last night. But honestly it is no fun and even no use to play with all those sound restrictions in place. Promoters should reconsider if it is actually worth doing a Dance event under those kind of circumstances. I am not keen doing that again. Techno needs a certain level of volume and quality of sound to really work. If you find the volume at an event way too low.. u should go and complain to the promoters. The DJ's usually have no chance to just turn up the system...
Dont get me wrong, I am not asking for sound that damaged your hearing... it should just be louder than my kitchen radio (ok.. now I am exaggerating )
[/h]

Back