Getting to grips with the language

suecatt

There seems to be an awful of options as to how to learn the language as regards cds, books etc. Can anyone recommend a particular product?

We have been researching a move to Ibiza for the last few years but now things look like they are going to happen and we want to really get down to learning the language.

i think michel thomas is one of the best starting points. no books, no homework, etc, etc. just listening and speaking confidence that should give you a good base.

wish i'd done that when i was starting.

How much do you know about the Spanish one ? A friend used the French Michael Thomas and to be perfectly frank the guy has a strong accent and is definitely not a native French speaker, even if grammer and vocab are correct... Not really what you want to be copying.

Is it the same on the Spanish version ? I am interested in learning and don't want to have that problem !!

How much do you know about the Spanish one ? A friend used the French Michael Thomas and to be perfectly frank the guy has a strong accent and is definitely not a native French speaker, even if grammer and vocab are correct... Not really what you want to be copying.

Is it the same on the Spanish version ? I am interested in learning and don't want to have that problem !!

i'd say that having listened to the beginner cds (looking back not as a beginner), his pronunciation is fine but it his explanation of it which is most important. e.g. about where to stress, the slight difference in similar sounds, etc, etc

i did 4 years of evening classes before somebody told me some of the key points on pronunciation.

I have learned both French and Spanish using Michel Thomas. He is very good and his system of learning is excellent. However he isn't a miracle worker. Once you have the basics you need to get out and speak to people in their own language its the only way to improve your grammar and vocabulary. I found that the biggest problem here is that compared to the mainland and S. Americas the accents are very strong and the locals are impatient; so that if you don't get it the first time they start speaking to you in English - one of the disadvantages of living in a tourist resort :)

Having said all that; a learning method that is right for one person may not be right for another. The only way to know for sure is to explore the options; take lessons, buy the CDs, until you find what is right for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back