Getting discounts during a recession....

WeLuvIbiza

If I wanted to buy a car, house or many other items right now, I would be confident of being able to negotiate a cute deal.

I have been looking for gym membership and I cannot get so much as a penny shaved off the price anywhere:eek::cry:

I'm not quite sure what this says about the economic downturn really, but it appears as though the gym business is not suffering. Obviously January / early year is the worst time to expect any discounting from a gym when everyone is joining up at the same time.

I also haven't noticed big differences in airline tickets lately, despite the factors of it being off-season, in the middle of a recession and amidst lower fuel costs. At least, not on flights from here...

Funny you should say that, Morbyd.

My in-laws just returned from Tenerife last week. They said it was much much quieter than usual (they go the same time every year) but they were suprised at the number of Russian visitors, they were by far and away the predominate group. At this time of year the island is usually over-run with brits.

I've noticed cheaper ariline tix....£250 return on BA or Virgin to NYC, £400 return on Etihad to Bangkok (I got Biz class for £1500, usually £3000!!!). Deals to Dubai on Emirates including 3/4 nights in 5* for under £500...

I haven't been looking at package deals, just flights (and, admittedly, they are for a bank holiday weekend)

There are probably some bargains to be had in the package deals... must give that a look.

Is £250 return on BA or Virgin to NYC really a deal? Looks like a normal off-season price to me.

Don't know tbh, i've never looked at going before apart from when you could fly there in 3 hours and then that was £7k :(

If only the dammed exchange rate was still 2 4 1 i could pay for a fun week just with profit on purchases resold :(

Crap init :(

It will go up 20c i reckon in the next 6-12 months when the Obama shine wear off but still rubbish!

Not if you're central bank drops rates another point as expected...

they can drop the bank rate to -100% and it would mean diddly **** cos the banks STILL not lending, and house prices are STILL too high in proportion to income.

I've just booked a fantastic cottage on a secluded beach in Scotland for £500. Three bedrooms, open fires, etc etc.

Pub: 200 yards away

Beach: 1 yard away

Cares in the world: 1 million miles away.

okay it ain't ibiza but it will still rock. Recession-tastic!!:lol:

they can drop the bank rate to -100% and it would mean diddly **** cos the banks STILL not lending, and house prices are STILL too high in proportion to income.
You've missed my point. Lower rates = weaker currency. In other words, N8's assertion that the pound will rise 20c vs the dollar in a few months time is likely inaccurate.

You've missed my point. Lower rates = weaker currency. In other words, N8's assertion that the pound will rise 20c vs the dollar in a few months time is likely inaccurate.

the £ is ****e low at the moment cos investors dont see it as an attractive currency to invest in.

there is zero confidence in the UK market at the moment.

The $ is artificially high because of the new presidency, hope, expectation etc. As soon as the Obama bounce and shine wears off it will fall...

Back