Genres lost in time......

S

Sidinthesticks

Further to some recent comments, dance genres seem to come and go at the flick of a music reviewers` mouse.
Some get regurgitated to suit the trends of the day, others fade into memory never to be seen again -

Hand-bag House anyone -

Further to some recent comments, dance genres seem to come and go at the flick of a music reviewers` mouse.
Some get regurgitated to suit the trends of the day, others fade into memory never to be seen again -

Hand-bag House anyone -

Malibu Stacy at London’s Hanover Grand mid 90s

handbag was basically commercial house - later mutating into funky house

some aged ok (duke, alcatraz, k-klass, outrage, farley & heller, all those morales remixes)

some aged very badly (anything with the rhythm masters on it)

and some shall remain my dirty secret (Lisa B, Strike, The Happy Clappers..)

the french 'touch' stuff changed the game for me though - after stardust, the filters took over completely

gabba was a joke but the story was interesting. there were concurrent scenes in Scotland, Benelux and Spain where hardcore, happy hardcore, makina and gabba all overlapped in terms of frequency, tempo and amphetamines. it was niche to an extent but someone at HMV told me those hixxy & sharkey cds sold mega-units though !

Quite a few of my mates did Rezerection for the Hardcore, then burned out and can't listen to any 4/4 theses days :)
I ticked over on House and Techno through and have lasted the distance.

Heres another history lesson for the young uns -

Epic-House -

gabba was a joke but the story was interesting. there were concurrent scenes in Scotland, Benelux and Spain where hardcore, happy hardcore, makina and gabba all overlapped in terms of frequency, tempo and amphetamines. it was niche to an extent but someone at HMV told me those hixxy & sharkey cds sold mega-units though !
Old Youtube clips of Dutch Gabba are scary as f***! Look like a right wing knees up.

I always enjoyed the hardcore but was more into the darker stuff eg one tribe what have you done, genaside II narramine, helicopter theme, homeboy, hippy & a funkee dread. Then kept up with the jungle till early 2000s but eventually got bored of it all.

Cant say Ive ever listened to any......on purpose lol. I had a techno phase, when cox put out that album "the ultimate sound of bass". Other than those years of enduring some hard techno, my electronic tastes have mostly been into house based beats. Thats not to say im closed minded or havent given almost everything under the sun a chance.....you never know with music.

Looking back (at the UK) I'd say there were 2 key splits. The first was around 89/90 when clubbers (into house, US, soul, balearic) and ravers (more banging, less snotty) went in completely different directions (there was a lot of snobbery uptight city cool v small town teds etc - all these different mutant hybrid tribes emerged out of it. I noticed this a lot cos I grew up west London where the key word was "attitude" (these days that would be hashtagged) and everyone took themselves v seriously esp the music/fashion but I was pretty innocent and had no idea what was going on. Opting to do my degree in the middle of nowhereville (Devon), I was suddenly exposed to ravers, new agers, rural freaks and all sorts who were into day glo or dreads or baggy anything - the more proggy Guerilla records crowd had pony-tails. the birds were more into acid jazz, de la soul and stuff. And then the second split was around 92/93 when the ravers split into happy and dark side. and then the law caught up and you know the rest. FWIW (personal nostalgia aside, speaking objectively) I think the early 90s were a magical time - just the variety of scenes and music and creativity behind parties, people designing their own dance spaces, new ideas and thinking, places with camouflage netting in secret locations and awesome lighting that someone, somewhere had rigged up and the relative down to earthness of all it, DJs turning up with carrier bags of records, often not really having a clue, nobody did. but of course it couldn't last, people starting making loads of money out of it and then once Sasha and co started to become THE stars of the show, it was downhill thereafter. But a lot of the backroom, micro scenes survived and perhaps that diy spirit is what we need to get back to? I'm sure there are kids doing their own thing somewhere out there and the less old b'stards like me know about it, probably the better

Very good writing Kim.
90s had to be best period as those were the last years of a millenium. An era has ended there. It is the new age now which might not be better but that's how life eventually evolves.

Back