General Thoughts and Advice Needed Rapido - Greece Trip

friend just spent 10 days at mykonos. said they wanted CASH everywhere. no credicards ! no way i would go to greece these days ...

So......
I burned my Greece flights, at 485 quid. Was able to cancel the accommodation with 3 hrs to spare. Just couldn't be arsed with all the "what ifs", thats no holiday or even the lead up to it!

Decided on somewhere we know and booked 4 ibiza flights and hire car. Just looking for accommodation (small villa or appt out of town, maybe one of the smaller resorts up north. Its not proving easy as most stuff is taken, if its not taken its extortionate.

Thanks for everyones help btw.
If it was just me and the missus going we may have chanced it, but not with our daughters.

sorry that this is isn't much help to the questions/dilemma being posed - but does anybody else think it's mildly scandalous people being advised "just take plenty of cash with you"

Terrible, terrible advice. I guarantee hundred of holidays makers insurance will not cover them if something bad happens.

Problem with that was, what if your cash gets half inched, and the ATM cupboard is bare?
Even my insurance company didn't have the answer for that.

So......
I burned my Greece flights, at 485 quid. Was able to cancel the accommodation with 3 hrs to spare. Just couldn't be arsed with all the "what ifs", thats no holiday or even the lead up to it!

Decided on somewhere we know and booked 4 ibiza flights and hire car. Just looking for accommodation (small villa or appt out of town, maybe one of the smaller resorts up north. Its not proving easy as most stuff is taken, if its not taken its extortionate.
Don't blame you sacking Greece off.

I was looking at Ibiza last week for something in August with the family, but it was as you've described proving tough, so I've left it for this year. It was a last minute decision to look to go, hence the short notice, but it does show how popular it is.

sorry that this is isn't much help to the questions/dilemma being posed - but does anybody else think it's mildly scandalous people being advised "just take plenty of cash with you"

Terrible, terrible advice. I guarantee hundred of holidays makers insurance will not cover them if something bad happens.

how is it terrible advice if you can't pay by credit card? you have no other options.....

how is it terrible advice if you can't pay by credit card? you have no other options.....

Because if you lose your money you won't be covered by your insurance...
Because working class Greek people have no cash (it's safe to assume that desperate/poor/criminal likes) will also have no money... and they'll know that tourists are carrying lots of money...

See.

Makes tourists even more lucrative targets than previously.

Stealing cards is all well and good, but comes with risks and is generally an inconvenience to thieves. Traceable, can be blocked, easier to get caught etc.

But cash! Cash is a delight! It's like the jackpot.

Because working class Greek people have no cash (it's safe to assume that desperate/poor/criminal likes) will also have no money... and they'll know that tourists are carrying lots of money...

See.

Stealing cards is all well and good, but comes with risks and is generally an inconvenience to thieves. Traceable, can be blocked, easier to get caught etc.

i understand the point about lots of people carrying lots of cash.

but there is no alternative except to not go - hence my prior post. you post didn't give a solution for those that will be there.

you post didn't give a solution for those that will be there.

I know, hence why I said
sorry that this is isn't much help to the questions/dilemma being posed...

I was just intrigued to see what other spotlighters thought. I bet there are criminal gangs rubbing their hands at this "advice" being given.

but there is no alternative except to not go - hence my prior post. you post didn't give a solution for those that will be there.

There is no solution, other than bury your cash somewhere like kimajy said. Even room safes could be targets, lets face it some could just be ripped off the wall!

As an indépendant traveller I was able to cancel my accommodation but those on package deals are not so lucky. Overall, the change has cost me £500, a drop in the Mediterranean Ocean.

Then there are the possible strikes, they are more likely to happen. That trip to Mykonos Airport could have been more stressful than it was for six American Embassy staff at Tehran Airport c1979!!

See.

Wow guys what the hell ??!! Life goes on as normal in Greece up to this time. No problems especially in Mykonos but also all over the country. We haven't heard of any rise on the criminal rates. No strikes nothing at all, LIFE GOES ON! And this comes from a person who is living in Greece and due to his profession has contacts everywhere around the country.

I'm not commenting on whether that is the case. I'm sure Greece is perfectly fine. I'm sure armed militants are not roaming the streets (!)

However I underline my point that it is terrible, terrible advice for travel agents to give, because of the points I have already raised.

They would be giving the exact opposite advice in every other circumstance.

friend just spent 10 days at mykonos. said they wanted CASH everywhere. no credicards ! no way i would go to greece these days ...
Credit/debit cards are accepted EVERYWHERE !! I just used mine to buy plane tickets, a friend of me used his last night to buy studio equipment worth more than 1500e.

Please icey don't help spreading false rumours !!

It was like that BEFORE the crisis - always wanting cash so they don't have to declare it and pay IVA or tax on profits.

Back