Gatecrasher

I reckon this year is going to see a renaissance of trance/prog trance. Maybe not so much in the UK but elsewhere. There are more and more parties in the US than possibly ever, which is encouraging for the scene. A lot of newer djs and producers coming through too, which hasn’t happened for a while either.

I’ve been to a couple of the Gatecrashers at Area and there were plenty of newer names as well as the old guard, so for all GC’s faults I’m not sure trading on nostalgia is one I’d level at them.

But as per my original post this is it for GC and me. Plenty of other club events left though, such as Passion, Liberation, the Gallery, Tidy..etc.

Transcend too ;)
Guess it's become a weird thing now, as for Trance, unless it's a really big event (ala all the ones you just mentioned), folks aren't always quite as interested.

This. Now they run on a wave of dwindling Nostalgia.
Like most trance nights sadly.

To be fair it started as a house event and evolved into trance. they tried to evolve just before the trance wheels fell off by introducing a lot of break beat and prog house Into the main room but it simply didn’t work because of its rep as a trance night and the whole crasher kids stuff.

its still ran by the people who were always involved - Simon Raine and Scott Bond
They sold out at one point then returned. Both had a chequered history. Bond was a knob when GC was at its peak, frequently taking on gigs and not turning up. Raine was always considered shady. Remember the fire?! They tried to lose the crasher kids and evolve the sound but no one wanted it. In ibiza they had two attempts at Eden and neither worked. The first season they ran afters at Space. It became a niche trance brand focussed on Sheffield and festivals and cds and they couldn’t break out of that.

Raine and Bond returned and it’s very much a retro brand now. But so is cream, passion and others. Shine at Eden is at least 50% classics focussed. The scene remains stagnant imo with no signs of improving. There are niche trance nights around but it ain’t getting popularised or bigger anytime soon.

They sold out at one point then returned. Both had a chequered history. Bond was a knob when GC was at its peak, frequently taking on gigs and not turning up. Raine was always considered shady. Remember the fire?! They tried to lose the crasher kids and evolve the sound but no one wanted it. In ibiza they had two attempts at Eden and neither worked. The first season they ran afters at Space. It became a niche trance brand focussed on Sheffield and festivals and cds and they couldn’t break out of that.

Raine and Bond returned and it’s very much a retro brand now. But so is cream, passion and others. Shine at Eden is at least 50% classics focussed. The scene remains stagnant imo with no signs of improving. There are niche trance nights around but it ain’t getting popularised or bigger anytime soon.

I'm not entirely sure it's going to in any capacity. It's likely it'll go the way of hard house. Big events once in a blue moon.

Doesn't help that Trance DJs want more money than is available to a lot of promoters, due to the lack of punters. You can't keep pushing your fees up while the scene (In the UK and Europe) dwindles. Festivals may be able to support that somewhat, but club nights can't.

I'm not entirely sure it's going to in any capacity. It's likely it'll go the way of hard house. Big events once in a blue moon.

Doesn't help that Trance DJs want more money than is available to a lot of promoters, due to the lack of punters. You can't keep pushing your fees up while the scene (In the UK and Europe) dwindles. Festivals may be able to support that somewhat, but club nights can't.
I think the hard house scene is in a worse condition to trance tbh. Both are based on very occasional one off nights and 90s music. It’s amazing how such popular genres can fall off the edge of a cliff like they have. That said, Nina kraviz and charlotte de Witt seem keen to bring it back!

I think the hard house scene is in a worse condition to trance tbh. Both are based on very occasional one off nights and 90s music. It’s amazing how such popular genres can fall off the edge of a cliff like they have. That said, Nina kraviz and charlotte de Witt seem keen to bring it back!

Oh, Hard House is worse, what I meant is I can see (maybe in five years) the current trance scene being that way.

While Nina and Charlotte (etc) do play the odd trance track, they are never the modern ones. It's usually only once (or twice) a set though.

Oh, Hard House is worse, what I meant is I can see (maybe in five years) the current trance scene being that way.

While Nina and Charlotte (etc) do play the odd trance track, they are never the modern ones. It's usually only once (or twice) a set though.
I know mate. Realised that after I posted!

id say thatCharlotte and Nina played a lot more classic hard house and trance than that last year. A lot of djs are dropping on classic trance tracks though.

While trance fell off a cliff it is only going to get better when we see the big producers and djs return to make it. Most of them moved to other genres when they foresaw the decline and took their production (teams and ghosts) with them. No wonder there is very little quality new stuff around, there is no one to make it. I imagine producers argue there is not the demand and therefore no one to hear it.

It would be nice if a little post modern trance scene could emerge. At present the it is very fragmented. Trance family seems squarely focussed on the past. Solarstone and a number of other producers are producing some quality output but it’s so small and fragmented.

not sure you can compare the mess that is Gatecrasher and the people behind it with Cream to be honest. Cream still a hugely professional, well run outfit. Gatecrasher owners fighting at their own events.

The point about being retro focussed as brands is sort of true, a lot of the cream events across the country are booking the older dj's and therefore aimed at the older crowd. However, Creamfields - biggest dance festival in the UK by a mile - 4 days with something for everyone - from cheese to the older heads to the cutting edge

not sure you can compare the mess that is Gatecrasher and the people behind it with Cream to be honest. Cream still a hugely professional, well run outfit. Gatecrasher owners fighting at their own events.

The point about being retro focussed as brands is sort of true, a lot of the cream events across the country are booking the older dj's and therefore aimed at the older crowd. However, Creamfields - biggest dance festival in the UK by a mile - 4 days with something for everyone - from cheese to the older heads to the cutting edge
Cream and Crasher can be compared in context, ie from a music perspective, both have been reduced to being mobile classic events led club nights. The retro focus of brands club events isn’t sort of true, it’s absolutely true. I wasn’t referring to festivals at all.

Gatecrash Classical was due to be in Newcastle this Saturday; just heard it's been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

Gatecrash Classical was due to be in Newcastle this Saturday; just heard it's been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

Lack of ticket sales I would imagine.

Cream and Crasher can be compared in context, ie from a music perspective, both have been reduced to being mobile classic events led club nights. The retro focus of brands club events isn’t sort of true, it’s absolutely true. I wasn’t referring to festivals at all.

While I agree to this in some ways, Cream promote or co-promote a lot of bigger events (Steelyard for example with Coxy and Prydz last year) still.

Gatecrasher used to be really prominent internationally. I just remember all these compilations! At the turn of the century, they had a big presence; in California at least, & perhaps in Denver as well; though when I lived there I was brand new to any and all dance music. I didn't even realize record stores had any dance-y sorts of music aside from like The Crystal Method or Fatboy Slim prior to 1999.

Around then I decided to become a raver though & all that changed. Lol. Interesting, that decision. ???

Gatecrasher used to be really prominent internationally. I just remember all these compilations! At the turn of the century, they had a big presence; in California at least, & perhaps in Denver as well; though when I lived there I was brand new to any and all dance music. I didn't even realize record stores had any dance-y sorts of music aside from like The Crystal Method or Fatboy Slim prior to 1999.

Around then I decided to become a raver though & all that changed. Lol. Interesting, that decision. ???

yeah he didn’t mind ripping people off from any country

yeah he didn’t mind ripping people off from any country
Really? I thought everything was at least on the surface professional; though I only saw the CDs. I never went to the club. Was there more than one? & you said "he" didn't mind... I didn't know there was an associated individual.

My mistake. :)

Really? I thought everything was at least on the surface professional; though I only saw the CDs. I never went to the club. Was there more than one? & you said "he" didn't mind... I didn't know there was an associated individual.

My mistake. :)
Grasher was a money making machine , unfortunately they didn’t pay wages , loved a insurance claim . And really left a bad taste . Yeah 1 guy behind it . Search it , it’s a interesting story .

Back